The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 6, 2018, 08:52 AM   #1
AL45

Older Marlin 39A Lever Action feed issues.

I just purchased an older Marlin 39A Golden lever action, made in 1976. It is a pre-safety. I took it apart and it was clean, and I oiled it. My Wife and I fired around 75 rounds through it and it had 4 or 5 misfeeds where it jammed the lever open. I was able to shake out or "coax" the round in the chamber while I shook the rifle and worked the lever on these occasions. I was mostly using CCI mini-mags and a few winchester long rifle cartridges. I brought the gun home and cycled 60 rounds through it with 2 jams. The spring tension in the feed tube is much lighter than the spring tension in my tube fed Remington pump .22. Could that be the problem? I have also read that the cartridge stop can wear down. Any ideas?
Old May 6, 2018, 12:12 PM   #2
603Country

I also have a pre-safety 39A. It’s a bit picky on what ammo it likes. It does NOT like Remington Thunderbolt 22LR. Shoots them fine but has problems feeding, like what you describe. I just shoot federal ammo in it and all is well. Also, if i tilt the rifle to the left and work the lever, that can occasionally cause a feeding problem, but hold it upright as you cycle the action and all is good. I guess it’s just a bit finicky.

My 9422 has no issues with Remington Thunderbolt, so that’s the ammo it gets. I won’t buy more of that Remington ammo.
Old May 6, 2018, 01:55 PM   #3
AL45

603Country, I've been holding it horizontal or parallel to the ground. I have never had problems with CCI in anything. I have had trouble with Remington golden though.
Old May 6, 2018, 09:43 PM   #4
AL45

I believe the culprit was the cartridge guide spring. It had flattened out and judging by all the lead around the chamber, the bullets were being shaved each time they entered the chamber. I bent the spring slightly down and the cartridges fed well. I guess a few hundred rounds down the road will determine if that was the problem.