The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 6, 2005, 11:50 AM   #1
Michaelm45

Your Favorite Ear Protection???

I was looking at new earmuffs and would like to buy electronic muffs.
I would like your opinions on the good ones or the ones you own.
Thanks.
Old May 6, 2005, 08:58 PM   #2
XD Niner

My Peltor Tactical 6S electronic earmuffs have worked great. Now if I could just remember to turn them off and avoid running down the batteries!
Old May 7, 2005, 06:15 AM   #3
Old Prussian

Look at this company, they make the best ones.

http://www.sordin.com/en/produkter.asp
Old May 7, 2005, 07:31 AM   #4
Nortonics

I swear just about all the electronic muffs are about the same. Things used to be outrageously expensive back a couple years ago, but are starting to come down to a reasonable price lately, like around $65 for a stereo set, which can be found at Gander Mountain for instance.

I bought a pair of Remington R2000's back a couple years ago for about $120 at Gander and they work great. A nicety about these particular ones is the microphone placement that cuts down on wind noise compared to others, and the newer circuitry that preserves the batteries for a longer time. Other than that, you really won't find any differences to speak of between one and another.

It's funny, the technology that allows these headsets to do what they do is not new, nor is it expensive. The ability to do this has been around for a long time. It's just that the manufactures have found a new way to market the technology in the form of headsets for the shooter, and it's a matter of widdiling as much out of the consumer as possible before the competition moves in to get the prices to drop.

Other than the conveniences of battery life, wind noise reduction and the like, they all do the same darn thing, and do it well, no matter who makes the unit, and no matter the claims of being "better" than the competition.

Get the least expensive ones you can find that are built decently and you won't be disappointed. And yes, no matter which unit you buy, they WILL protect your ears just as effectively as any other.
Old May 7, 2005, 11:11 AM   #5
Terry Twit

Sordin Supreme Pro. Nothing comes close. If you own Peltors, don't EVER put a set of Sordins on unless you want to be tempted to toss the Peltors in the trash. Seriously.

Going to have to disagree with you there, Nortonics. A set of $65 electronic muffs from Gander Mountain is in no way comparable to Sordins. If you can't tell the difference, then good on ya, you don't need the Sordins.
Old May 9, 2005, 07:16 AM   #6
Rinspeed

I have a set of Pro-Ear Dim 1 and i have been very happy with them. I think I paid $165 for them and that was the best price I could find.
Old May 9, 2005, 09:24 PM   #7
XD Niner

Where can I buy or order a pair of Sordin Supreme Pro muffs from?
Old May 9, 2005, 10:52 PM   #8
Greenfurniture

Gentex Wolf Ears.

If you're not using them, you might as well be using the fifty-cent EAR plugs.
Old May 11, 2005, 04:59 AM   #9
Old Prussian

XD Niner

Here's a couple places on line to buy Sordin

http://www.eguns.com/Miscellaneous/S...rotection.html

http://www.merchantmanager.com/tacti...aProds=SSP-EHP
Old May 11, 2005, 10:47 AM   #10
moredes

I bought mine from Old Prussian's second link, "merchantmanager...". It's actually 'Tactical Command Industries, Inc.', and they were quick to ship w/o any hassles.

Sordins are the best, or at least, they do everything Sordin claims. I was looking for an electronic earmuff that wouldn't buzz or pull feedback from electrical power lines, which are close to the shooting range. I had read (from several posts) that Peltors are susceptible to this problem more than half the time. I also wanted a very sensitive microphone so I could hear people come up behind me. With the mike on 'full' I can hear trucks > 1/3 mile away, and footsteps is no problem at all, even at '1/2 full' (when the trucks are gone).

After the "slaughter" of paying > $200 for these muffs, I couldn't be more pleased. There is no electrical feedback nor static whatsoever when I'm near the power lines, and the battery auto-shutoff has saved my battery a couple times already, and these muffs are so comfortable, I actually *do* forget I'm wearing them, just as everyone said I would. (although in >95* weather, I notice them)
Old May 12, 2005, 08:18 AM   #11
9mm1033

Old Prussian, I hope you are right. Been looking at others and I think I'll order the Sordins.
Old May 23, 2005, 07:46 PM   #12
9mm1033

Well, I received my new Sordin SSP ear protectors. Very nice and very sensitive and powerful microphone receivers. However, I just discovered a problem (for me). Took them to my indoor range and with the exhaust fan running, the hissing noise is much too loud and annoying. The volume was at the lowest setting. I don't shoot outside so instead of keeping an expensive set of earmuffs, I called to ask for a refund. They tried to talk me out of returning them. Stating they had to be inspected for resale and their was a 20% restocking fee on returnables. I never wore them! Man, at $235 and $10 S&H (not refundable), the 20% fee is costing me a $47 loss. Plus, I have to pay again to ship them back to the factory. Anyway, the Sordins are a quality earmuff, but if you are an indoor only shooter, you might consider the potential problems with the sensitive microphone speakers. FYI
Old May 24, 2005, 06:39 AM   #13
caz223

They're THAT sensative?
I'm getting some...
I shoot thunder-boomers, and I usually double up when I shoot, pads and muffs.
I bought a $60 pair from gander mountain, and I gotta say mine is a POS.
You can barely hear normal conversation, and my ears ring after a few shots from a 10mm or a .357, are the sordins any better?
Old May 24, 2005, 09:39 AM   #14
moredes

9mm1033,

Have you explained the problem to the seller, or did you just ask for a refund? (any chance that you didn't reduce the volume in precise increments, enough to influence what you heard--that is to say, are you sure you had it adjusted to the lowest level before "shutoff"?) Mine aren't so sensitive at lower volumes that I find it distracting; at higher levels, I can hear the leaves in the trees rustle, and it is distracting, but at its' lowest level, I don't hear any other noises--one of my checks is the sound of bees; there are plenty of carpenter bees out here (huge, as big as the first joint of your thumb) and they can make an awful drone at a distance of about 1 foot. I can *still* hear them with the 'phones off, but at the lowest level, I don't find it that pronounced. It does take some getting used to, but maybe you, too, need a second session at the indoor range to see if the background noise/level setting can be made acceptable?

I ask all this because it almost sounds like yours are defective.

(for them that're wondering, I shoot from a covered area; clearance to the roof is about 2 feet; the carpenter bees *love* my wooden rafters, and just won't leave me alone, but they're not aggressive, and drones have no stingers.)
Old May 24, 2005, 03:35 PM   #15
9mm1033

moredes,

Actually, I played around with volume adjustment indoors at home. Couldn't believe how sensitive the speakers are picking up the sound of my pants walking, etc. I doubt they are defective. The problem (for me) is the location of the exhaust fan at the range. This is a nice well sealed facility. The fan is behind the line about 10-12 feet. It is LOUD. The product is very good. I'd say a must for the serious outdoor shooter who shoots with others. I don't know why the customer service rep. tried to talk me out of the return. I explained the entire situation. I mailed them back to California today and paid $5.75 for a two day USPS air shipment. They charged me $10.00 for a seven day shipment via UPS.
Old May 24, 2005, 04:36 PM   #16
Michaelm45

Whats Better About An Electronic Earmuff???

I'm still using my old Silencio Magnums with a NRR 29. And still muffling btw.
Thank you for all the replys and stories. I was really looking at the Sordins but 9mm1033's story turned me off at hearing of their bad cs. So I'm still confused. I'm really confused about the NRR ratings. I understand DBs and NRRs. My earmuffs claim a NRR or 29 DB. Electronic earmuffs at $100 and up claim a NRR of 19 to 24. In fact, looking at some standard earmuffs they seem to claim 25db and above. Gotta find a place to try some.

WHATS BETTER ABOUT AN ELECTRONIC EARMUFF???
Old June 1, 2005, 08:31 PM   #17
MADISON

Favorite Ear Protection

Ear protection less than 29 db protection is not enough protection!

I have two brands of ear MUFFS I use and am very satisfied with:
Solencio [29 db protection]. The sometimes produce muffs with firearms names on them.

Clark [29 db protection]. This brand is used by the military on Aircraft Cariers.
I line the inside of all muffs with soft styrofoam, for extra protection.
Old June 11, 2005, 01:30 PM   #18
Hello123

Peltor 10 and foam plugs. My ears still ring after going to the range. I guess hearing loss is the price to pay for having fun?