The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 29, 2013, 09:34 PM   #26
Malamute

You're toast dude. You've caught the bug.

You may enjoy the leverguns forum, there's a bunch of enablers over there too.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old April 30, 2013, 09:40 AM   #27
dgludwig

Quote:
it's got an over/under scope
I don't think I've ever heard this term before. What is an "over/under scope"?
Old April 30, 2013, 06:03 PM   #28
Blindstitch

My all out favorite gun is the Winchester 94 dated around 1970 that my grandpa built for me. It came with a Marbles Arms semi buckhorn rear site and I used it for a few years just like that till I fell into the hype of scopes.

I mounted several cheap scopes on it that it rejected and ended up spending about $70 in the mid 90's on a better scope. I have killed an equal amount of deer with the iron sites vs. scope but I have a feeling when a longer range scoped rifle replaces the scope category I'll go back to iron sites and it will probably still stay my first choice for deer rifle.

Not to trash the Marlin's because they aren't trash either but the Winchester fits and thrills me a lot more. My dad has the marlin in 30-30 and 444 but sometimes he still pulls out his old 32 Winchester to remember all the deer, bear, and small game it shot.

When I started the conversion to rifle from a 20 gauge shotgun with slugs the 32 Winchester was the first gun he had me shoot. I almost wonder if it was a secret mission between him and my grandpa because about a month before deer season my Winchester appeared.
Old April 30, 2013, 10:43 PM   #29
rmocarsky

Both

I have a Marlin in .35 and the Winchester in 30-30.

Marlin is scoped; 'chester not.

The only superiority factor I can find is that the Marlin is smooth as glass, while the Winchester is tight as a drum to cycle as well as load.

Rmocarsky

Last edited by rmocarsky; April 30, 2013 at 10:43 PM. Reason: spelling