The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 17, 2018, 06:00 PM   #1
Brutus

Thoughts on Ruger single six

Picking up a stainless convertible Monday, little late to ask but what's the general consensus on this model.
Old November 17, 2018, 06:44 PM   #2
Dave T

The Ruger is head and shoulders ahead of the Heritage, which seems to be all the rage these days.

Dave
Old November 17, 2018, 07:08 PM   #3
Pahoo

Great choice

Brutus

IMHO, You have made a great choice. They are great performers and I'm still looking for a deal on a Bird's head model. Understand that I am a Ruger fan and to date, they Have only made one firearms that I did not care for. Might add that they make a spring kit upgrade. …..

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; November 19, 2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old November 17, 2018, 07:53 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo
Might add that they make a spring kit upgrade. …..
Who makes a spring kit upgrade? Ruger, or aftermarket?
Old November 17, 2018, 07:59 PM   #5
Pahoo

Aftermarket

Quote:
Who makes a spring kit upgrade? Ruger, or aftermarket?
Aftermarket !!!

Be Safe !!!
Old November 17, 2018, 08:08 PM   #6
Drm50

There is no doubt the Ruger Blackhawk series from Single-6 to SBH are the best
SA revolvers ever built. There are some by other companies based on Ruger SA
that may be better but Ruger SAs are the standard. The Heritage is popular only
because of low price. Doesn't come close to a Ruger. All mine are 3screw but for
shooting purposes the new models are fine.
Old November 18, 2018, 12:43 AM   #7
223 shooter

Bought my 5.5" stainless Single Six new in 1999. It is quite an accurate shooter with the 22lr cylinder which I use over 99% of the time. I think you will enjoy yours.
Old November 18, 2018, 01:37 AM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

I bought a blue Super Single Six Convertible back in the late 80s or early 90s. Finest SA .22 for the money that you will find.

The "super" is the one with adjustable sights. I highly recommend adjustable sights on a .22LR, even if you never need to adjust them, they're good to have, just in case. With .22s, there's no "adusting the load" to shoot to the sights, all you can do is try different ammo until you find one that does. OR just get adjustable sights and not worry about it.

Mine has the longer 6" (or 6.5" I forget which it is), shoots great. I've only shot about two half boxes of .22Mag over the last 30+ years, I don't think it worth the cost.

I don't see any point to a trigger kit for the Ruger SA's. If they aren't good enough to start (in your opinion), a little careful work will give a good trigger pull. You might want to check out the "poor boy" trigger job, but do use caution, it could result in a pull LIGHTER than you want...
Old November 18, 2018, 08:55 AM   #9
Brutus

I've had several blackhawks over the years, keep selling them because I don't like the plow handle grips. Would have preferred a Bisley model but they don't come in stainless. Hoping it won't matter with a .22
Old November 18, 2018, 04:46 PM   #10
223 shooter

Quote:
Would have preferred a Bisley model but they don't come in stainless. Hoping it won't matter with a .22
Buds Gun Shop looks like they still have some of the stainless Single Six Bisley models at $442 last time I looked. Was not long ago they were $379. It is not a convertible - 22lr only. I would have bought one but I can't see open sights well at all these days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bisley stanless.jpg (10.6 KB, 65 views)
Old November 18, 2018, 06:31 PM   #11
2damnold4this

I enjoy my old three screw Single Six. It's a fun gun to shoot but mine is more accurate with the .22 mag cylinder than the .22 lr.
Old November 18, 2018, 07:01 PM   #12
Omaha-BeenGlockin

I bought mine(6.5in stainless) at the height of the ammo shortage---probably why I got it so cheap-----so it hasn't really been shot all that much---I need to fix that now that the ammo has come back.

Had a blued 5.5in one back in the day that I shot the heck out of---should have kept that one.

I had lusted for a stainless one ever since owning the blued one----really wish my new one had the 5.5in barrel, if I come across a good deal on one, I'll probably have to snap it up---these are guns to last a lifetime.

Love em.
-------Metallica
Old November 18, 2018, 07:40 PM   #13
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
The Ruger is head and shoulders ahead of the Heritage, which seems to be all the rage these days.

Dave
No question Ruger's quality is better, but how much better makes it worth $250 more? Last I checked, Heritage is the only one making a convertible 9 shot .22 SA revolver.

When I want accuracy in a .22, I'll get a Mark IV or S&W Victory.

So, there are reasons why the Heritage is so popular, they offer some things Ruger doesn't and always at a better price.
Old November 18, 2018, 09:10 PM   #14
Drm50

I grade guns in three basics classes before they fall off the scale as pure junk. In revolvers the Heritage Series is down in 3rd class. They compare to H&Rs and such. You get what you
pay for. A Ruger may cost a couple hundred more but will last for generations of shooting if
taken care of. Personally I like the Ruger better than a Colt. Ruger based his design on the
Colt. He just designed better running gears and modern materials. Like wise what percussion revolver made in the past has the durability and accuracy of Ruger Old Army?
There has been many clones of Colts made, especially in 22lr. They are fairly easy to rate.
The steel frame models were the better ones. The cast frames were bottom of the barrel
although some shot fairly good but they aren't durable.
Old November 18, 2018, 09:14 PM   #15
Brian48

My Ruger SS is the oldest gun in my collection and it's probably going to be the last gun I'll ever own. You'll love it. It's the type of gun you'll want to pass onto your grand kids.
Old November 18, 2018, 09:42 PM   #16
Siggy-06

Had one in 5.5 stainless convertible. Only used the .22lr cylinder. Ended up selling it to a friend at work. While pretty bomb proof, it was a bit too heavy for carrying/plinking out in the woods(my intended use).
Old November 19, 2018, 11:21 AM   #17
Pahoo

Service is a factor.

Quote:
I grade guns in three basics classes before they fall off the scale as pure junk. In revolvers the Heritage Series is down in 3rd class.
Brutus

I know you only asked about the Sigle-Six and you can tell by the replies that it is one of the best choices. As far as the Heritage, It's very serviceable. I friend of mine who is a trapper, asked me about buying a Single-Six for trapping. This is one occasion I recommended the Heritage even though it's on the low end. ….

Be Safe !!!
Old November 19, 2018, 10:05 PM   #18
tallball

"Had a blued 5.5" one back in the day that I shot the heck out of - should have kept that one."

Me too. It was my first handgun. I gave it to a relative.

I replaced it a few years back with a blued 6.5" model. I have a 32 caliber one, too.

They are excellent revolvers. Doubtless my kids will be shooting them when I am long gone.

I owned a Heritage and wasn't impressed.
Old November 19, 2018, 11:15 PM   #19
rclark

My thoughts? I won't be without one. A Single Six is a must have as far as I am concerned. Satisfied with the accuracy too. Mine has been tuned to perfection and feels just like my big bores except for the recoil of course. It has been a constant rider in the range bag. I have a Bull barrel Mark II, but it has no 'appeal' to me. My kids, when they were still home, liked to shoot it though .

BTW, I own a Heritage Rough Rider too. Guess what. It shot surprisingly well with .22LR. Never used the Magnum cylinder. If you are just plinking with it or want to hit what you aim at ... well the RR will do it (at least mine does). Many a round has went through it. Had to replace the pawl spring once. Down side was the silly safety and the frame to grip frame fit. Painted too. On the other hand it has the 'clicks' that make old Colts and OM Rugers so nice to hear when you cock it. But, if your after 'looks' or an investment piece... it isn't for you.

Anyway enjoy your revolver. Hope it does well for you.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old November 20, 2018, 09:44 AM   #20
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

I have three of them. They are all Three Screws, one has adjustable sights, two have 'fixed ' sights. You can drift the rear sights for windage, but they are not adjustable for elevation. I only use them for plinking at soup cans at the 25 Yard berm. Never felt the need for sight adjustment, I just hold higher if the targets are further.

A couple of them came with 22 Mag cylinders, but I never use them. 22 Mags are too expensive, standard 22 Long Rifle is fine with me.

Took a look at the Heritage a bunch of years ago when they first came out. They looked as cheap as they are, not interested.
Old November 20, 2018, 11:02 AM   #21
Cheapshooter

Heritage Rough Rider. An affordable, reliable, and accurate convertable 22 rimfire SA revolver.
Ruger Single Six. A family heirloom for generations. At more than twice the cost of a Rough Rider.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 20, 2018, 05:49 PM   #22
JJ45

I have a 5.5" pre warning convertible...I installed a spring kit and it has the best breaking trigger of any handgun I own although the single action does have a bit longer lock time than say a good 1911 ,etc. trigger.

Being a convertible it is actually a .22 magnum revolver with an accessory .22lr cylinder. The magnum bore diameter is actually a little larger than it is for a .22 LR only bore. The best ammo for THIS particular Single Six is Winchester 45 grain Dynapoint magnums. These are copper plated or copper washed rather than the usual jacketed .22 magnum ammo.

I have tried probably 15 to 20 different types/brands of ammo in both LR and magnums and the Dynapoints are the only ones that will often print inside 1.5 inches at 25 yards for 5 of it's 6 chambers. Sometimes it will do better, sometimes worse. In most revolvers usually there will be chambers that will shoot better than the others. You have to experiment and mark which ones shoot best.

An acquaintance told me to try standard velocity long rifles but I never did. Then again, the excellent Single Six was never intended to be a match target pistol. It is the sidearm of the trapper, hunter, outdoorsman, etc.
Old November 20, 2018, 05:55 PM   #23
Targa

Thoughts on Ruger Single Six? I want one, that’s what I think.
Old November 20, 2018, 05:58 PM   #24
GarandTd

I don't really know why everyone feels the need to compare the Heritage to the Ruger. It's like comparing a High Point to a Sig. They're both serviceable guns, just in different classes. The Ruger is a better quality pistol and that quality comes at a price.
Old November 20, 2018, 11:50 PM   #25
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I don't really know why everyone feels the need to compare the Heritage to the Ruger. It's like comparing a High Point to a Sig. They're both serviceable guns, just in different classes. The Ruger is a better quality pistol and that quality comes at a price.
Then why did you? Basically repeating everything those who previously mentioned the Rough Rider said.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!