The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 26, 2018, 06:55 AM   #1
Super Blackhawk

LCP precock operation

I’d love to carry my Ruger LCP2 as my everyday pocket carry....with one in the chamber ....but I just am a little nervous about the safeness factor, since when this gun is chambered with a round it is in a half pre cocked hammer condition as part of the design to provide better trigger..

Does this give anyone else pause for concern.?
Old October 26, 2018, 07:20 AM   #2
FITASC

Not if it is in a pocket holster
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 26, 2018, 07:46 AM   #3
USNRet93

I also frequently carry a LCP, but carry with a trigger guard with tie, tied onto belt..and with 'ClipDraw'...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LC9-TG-5.jpg (49.1 KB, 117 views)

"Tools not Trophies”

Last edited by USNRet93; October 27, 2018 at 06:01 AM.
Old October 26, 2018, 02:33 PM   #4
SIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Blackhawk
Does this give anyone else pause for concern.?
Yes! This is why I won't own an LCPII. I do not like the fully cocked hammer on a pocket gun. I have carried the LCP and LCP Gen 2 for years without worry but will not do it with the LCPII. In fact, I recently switched to a Bodyguard 380 because it is a true double action and also has a firing pin block. The trigger must be pulled to allow the pin contact with the primer. I bought the model without the safety. The trigger pull is long and hard but it is very safe.

Oh yeah, I always carry the LCP's and BG380 with one in the pipe.
Old October 26, 2018, 05:10 PM   #5
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I also frequently carry a LCP(similar trigger/hammer design as LCP2),
No it isn't. Not even close. The original LCP, and the Gen2 LCP has a double action only trigger. The hammer is only reset, but not cocked. That is done completely by the long trigger pull. The II is a single action pull with the hammer fully cocked. Similar in function to most striker fired pistols.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 26, 2018, 05:18 PM   #6
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
it is in a half pre cocked hammer condition
Quote:
The II is a single action pull with the hammer fully cocked. Similar in function to most striker fired pistols.
Which one is it, half cocked or fully cocked?

Is the hammer all the way back in cocked position. Yes, that would make me nervous carrying in the pocket!
Old October 26, 2018, 11:01 PM   #7
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Which one is it, half cocked or fully cocked?
"Also aiding accuracy is the LCP II’s new trigger system. Where the original LCP’s 10-plus-lb. double-action trigger was undoubtedly safe, in the same sense as a double-action revolver, it was also a detriment when taking aimed shots at distances longer than arm’s reach. The LCP II utilizes a new single-action mechanism where the internal hammer is fully cocked by the rearward motion of the slide, resulting in a consistent and clean trigger pull of around 6 lbs. "
https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...cp-ii-handgun/
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!

Last edited by Cheapshooter; October 27, 2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old October 27, 2018, 10:11 AM   #8
TomNJVA

It is fully cocked. I feel completely safe carrying it chambered so long as it stays in the holster until ready to shoot. In fact much safer than carrying it unchambered and hoping I remember to operate the slide in a panic.

Earlier DAO versions are safer if carried without a holster but would likely be less accurate at say 10 yards.

The LCPII is not a range gun - it is designed for deep concealment and up-close personal defense. It suits that purpose well. Rating it on other aspects such as sights, trigger, hand feel, felt recoil, and accuracy at 25 yards are largely irrelevant. It is perfectly safe to carry so long as it is kept in the holster provided with it.
Old November 6, 2018, 09:50 AM   #9
SIMP

This fully cocked hammer and lack of firing pin block make me very uncomfortable with the LCPII. I owned one briefly and got rid of it quickly after I did my research on it.

I recently switched to the M&P Bodyguard 380 with no laser or safety. I like the idea of the true double action trigger and also the firing pin block. The pin cannot strike the primer without the trigger being pulled.

After a few range sessions with the BG380, the long heavy trigger pull is not an issue. I'll still keep my LCP (2nd Gen) but for now, it's the BG380 for me.
Old November 7, 2018, 11:28 PM   #10
tallball

I have an LCP II. I feel okay with carrying it as long as it's in a good holster that fully covers the trigger.

I shot it back-to-back-to-back with my two previously preferred micro 380's, and I shot it by far the best of the three. It's very accurate for the type of pistol it is. The trigger is great and the sights are also very good.
Old November 8, 2018, 02:52 AM   #11
elde

Like carrying a 1911 cocked and not locked. No thanks.
Old November 10, 2018, 07:47 PM   #12
DanPop

Unchambered = "wait, let my gun be ready to shoot you".
S&W Bodyguard 380 Ruger LCP 380
Old November 11, 2018, 05:36 PM   #13
gnystrom

Problem solved.

Old November 11, 2018, 06:35 PM   #14
FITASC

Talon is a good group of folks who run a great range as well.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 13, 2018, 07:29 PM   #15
Carl the Floor Walker

I always find it amusing when someone say's "It is safe as long as you carry in a good holster". Sorry, but I would not carry a LCPll for any reason. I do not need a light crisp trigger, especially on a pocket gun.
The LCP Gen 2 was a nice smooth double action. And I would imagine that is precisely why they are still in production. Nice trigger, safer pocket gun. I guess it is the fact that so many newbie's etc. can't shoot a double action, don't want to learn, and prefer to "Target shoot" these small guns rather than train for fast draw and fast shooting to center mass.
Old November 14, 2018, 08:03 AM   #16
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post
I always find it amusing when someone say's "It is safe as long as you carry in a good holster". Sorry, but I would not carry a LCPll for any reason. I do not need a light crisp trigger, especially on a pocket gun.
The LCP Gen 2 was a nice smooth double action. And I would imagine that is precisely why they are still in production. Nice trigger, safer pocket gun. I guess it is the fact that so many newbie's etc. can't shoot a double action, don't want to learn, and prefer to "Target shoot" these small guns rather than train for fast draw and fast shooting to center mass.
Agree, quite happy carrying my LCP, gen 2(NOT LCP-2) chambered, trigger guard, lanyard, 'ClipDraw' 'holster. A 'range gun, go shoot to have fun' it definitely it is not.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old November 14, 2018, 08:27 AM   #17
Ricklin

Not for me

I would not change a thing on my original LCP. OK I could remove the laser it's kind of "meh" it's there, and it does not make the pistol any less packable.

I'll bring other guns for fun at the range, but will put a magazine through the LCP while I am there.

I don't mind the long heavy trigger at all. It suits the purpose of the pistol very well.

I am plenty accurate at the distances the LCP is meant for. It's def. NOT a target pistol and I am not going to shoot it as one.

The chances of me having to shoot someone are very small, The likelihood of me shooting someone from 20 yards away are NIL.

The LCP is very accurate, the sights are for close up.
Old November 14, 2018, 11:00 AM   #18
gnystrom

There is nothing light and crisp about any of the Ruger LCP guns. The original LCP trigger worked fine but was a pain in the fanny to shoot. The LCP custom or the addition of a Sweet Pea trigger amde it a much more accurate gun that was actually fun to train with.
The LCPII comes along with a slightly better frame shape and a trigger that was somewhat like the LCP custom, and now the refinements show up when the gun is put into service.

Some like, some hate but all of them work for their intended purpose. I personally prefer one that I am comfortably shooting a couple of boxes of ammo at 30' with good results.

Everyone has their right to accept or reject a manufacturers ability to make and test their firearms but I have absolutely no fear of carrying any of my purchased firearms in a proper fitting holster.
Old November 21, 2018, 08:49 AM   #19
DAKA

I have been carrying my LCO (gen ll) cocked in both an IWB or sometimes loose in a pocket, if "tucked" for years....I feel safe with the loose pocket carry because I NEVER HAVE ANYTHING ELSE IN THAT POCKET, and am VERY AWARE that is is there..
I love this gun because I NEVER leave the house without it...
As others have said, IT IS NOT RANGE GUN.
ITS FOR THAT "NEVER WILL HAPPEN" TIME.......(And in 40+years of carrying, it hasn't happened yet and hopefully never will)
Old November 21, 2018, 06:48 PM   #20
driz

That’s why I absolutely love my LCP Custom. It really does have a nice ( not target) trigger. Yea it’s as fugly as a hedge fence with that futuristic aerospace looking trigger made worse by being red. FUGGGGGGLY but it sure does shoot about as well as a S&W J frame on double action. I can put almost all of them in a pie plate at 15 yards. I just love that little gun except to look at it. That’s fine as it sits in my Desantis in my pocket.
The high sights snag somewhat too though you can bob or change those. The one detractor I really dislike is lack of last round slide lockback. I can live with that too as it’s not a service weapon . It’s worth it for that nice safe yet long trigger. What I would absolutely love is a 9 mm LCP with that same setup as the Custom. I’d even ignore the Buck Rogers
Old November 26, 2018, 02:48 PM   #21
Bart Noir

Driz, I sold off my LCP Custom and now carry the LCP II in a good pocket holster. The sights on the Custom were too tall and "snaggy" and the LCP II has the slide hold open. It's sights are better than the sights on the original LCP but not too tall. I've had a progression of pocket pistols. The KelTec is gone, the Bodyguard 380 is gone, the LCP Custom is gone, the LCP II stays.

Bart Noir