The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 17, 2012, 05:51 PM   #1
Roger G

Bring me up to speed on Scopes

When I was varmit and target shooting many years ago I never remember being confused. You had a V 3-9 or a 10X or a monster 20 power scope as long as a football field.
Today they seem to have the same power indicators but they are throwin in 3x9 or what ever with a 30 40 50 MM,I dont dig Metrics. Which end of the scope are they referring too or is that the tube size. Sorry if this has been discussed but I NEED TO COME TO SPEED its been a long time.
THANKS GUYS
ROGER
Old February 18, 2012, 08:44 PM   #2
DougU

Must have been along long long long time. The number at the end is usually objective lens diameter......common sense says the larger the number, the more light that comes through. As the diameter gets larger their will come a point that requires a higher mounting set up for the bell to clear the barrel or action.
Old February 18, 2012, 10:26 PM   #3
603Country

If you're about to buy something, you have a target rich environment. Just a basic 6X24 scope would do for varmint hunting, and that's a 'dial-a-power' scope that ranges from 6 power to 24 power. As you've already been told, if it was 6X24X42, the 42 is talking about diameter in millimeters of the end away from your eye. That'd be about all the scope you need unless you want to do some serious long range target shooting (say 600 yards or more). As for cost, you can get a 6X24 scope in an extreme range of prices - from about $100 to maybe as high as $3000. That upper price may be off a bit, since I don't really keep up with scopes that cost that much. As for how much you should pay to get a good scope for what you want to do, you'll get plenty of answers. My answer would be $1000, give or take $200. And, you can surely get by with a good 4X16 power range scope for less money. Nikon has one for a bit over $400. I have a 6X18 Leupold VX2 on my 223, and I think it cost a bit over $500. Does that give you the info you were looking for?
Old February 19, 2012, 01:10 AM   #4
SSA

To get up to speed on scopes you could go to the 'Optics Planet' website. Rifle scopes department. They have a section called 'How to buy a rifle scope' or something like that. Good info there.

Then you can go to Ilya Koshkin's site, 'Optics Thoughts.' More good info there.
Old February 19, 2012, 01:15 AM   #5
kmaysob

3x9-40

3=the minimum magnification
9= the maximum magnification
40 is the objective diameter ( end closest to the muzzle) \

as already stated, generally, the bigger the objective lens , the more light it gathers
Old February 19, 2012, 02:00 AM   #6
Nathan

Except it is normally 3-9x40.

Also, scopes come in 3/4"(22lr cheap), 1"(basic std tube), 30mm(common mid to long range tube), 34mm(super long range)..

I sort tubes by range because a smaller tube gets pushed around in the outer tube by the turrets. For example, a 1" usually has ~30-50 MOA of travel where a 30mm can have up to 100moa and so on.

Objectives range from 1" - ~60mm. For most scopes, anything over 40 is show. Still with good optics, a 50 with good glass can get you well past legal shooting light.

Last, the confusion starts with me when you look at the 300 brands of Chinese spec built scopes and try to figure out which is the best glass for your money. Reviews and trying are all we can do. Seems like there is no objective set of data to look at.

Last, many will tell you to spend $500+. I can say for most daylight shooting, a scope with good mechanicals and $200 glass does it as well for me as $1000 glass. I'm in the camp which says scope mark and rifle msrp ought to be close. Slightly less if you are a zero it and forget it shooter. Slightly more if you want to turn turrets...up to??

Last don't go too crummy on the mount. There are more junk mounts o the market than anything else.
Old February 19, 2012, 10:30 AM   #7
Te Anau

Excellent primer.
http://www.eabco.com/Reports/report01.html
Old February 19, 2012, 10:41 AM   #8
Roger G

Thanks Guys
Just the kind of answers I would expect from U. The mud is now clear. YES it has been a long time. Since about 1980 was the last timethat I had a varmit rifle.
Thanks I appreciate your answers.
ROGER