The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old February 14, 1999, 08:30 PM   #1
Contender

Think I figured out why I double post sometimes. If I use the web browser to backup past the screen where I just typed a post to the forum, it will enter the post to the board again.Best to use the site links instead to navigate the site. Any thoughts?
Old February 14, 1999, 08:48 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Actually, all you need do is trust the software when it gives you the "Your reply has benn posted" type message.

You may not see your own post until after you leave and return to the Forums. This is because the software takes a "snapshot" each time you enter the site. The snapshot is necessary so that you can move around thru the Forums, post and whatnot, without constantlyu being updated with new threads and posts that are occurring while you're here.

Did that make any sense?
Rich
Old February 14, 1999, 10:18 PM   #3
Contender

I trust it. I just have noticed that any time I attempt to move around the site(after posting to the board) by using the back or forward button on the web browser rather than the site prompts, it will repost to the site when you back up past the posting page. The post prompt button need not be pressed again. Try it.

Now that we have confused one another, I'll close by saying I'm not as smoke as you drink I am.

Thanks, Rich
Old February 15, 1999, 07:01 PM   #4
Jim V

Contender: We just thought there was an echo.
Old March 13, 1999, 09:03 PM   #5
Bulldog

How about giving members the rights to delete any of their own double posts? I doubled yesterday--I hit the submit button but wanted to edit my post, so I hit the stop button. I went ahead and edited my post, went back to the discussion, and found that I had double posted.
Old March 14, 1999, 09:10 AM   #6
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Bulldog-
The software is not ours, it's licensed. It does not allow for Members to delete posts. The doubles are a minor problem for us....giving 1,000 Members permission levels to start deleting posts (even their own) would be something of a disaster.

Rule number 1: Think Twice. Post Once
Rule Number 2: When in doubt, refer to Rule Number 1.

Rich