The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old February 13, 1999, 12:14 PM   #1
boing

I'm hip to the design, but why didn't I hear about it? Were there announcements made that I missed (as I suspect)?
Does the "Today's Active Posts" feature show only posts active for that calendar day, or posts active since the last time I visited the board?
I know the design will be tweaked over the next few days, so my suggestion is to remove those lines separating the posts. It just seems a little...what? Formal? Unfriendly? Divisive? I don't know...maybe it's just new and scary and I need my second cup of coffee and a cigarette.
As for commercialization of the site, I'm not particularly for it. OTOH, I really have no idea what it takes to keep this site running, either financially or operationally (what *does* it take?). So if ads must come to preserve TFL, Let It Be Done. It's just about the only board I visit anymore, and I would hate to lose it.

With great appreciation and respect,
-boing
Old February 13, 1999, 12:19 PM   #2
Rob Pincus

Boing,

I can't speak for Rich, but if you are referring to the promotion of the charity event that I run as "Commercialization".... it isn't. No one makes any money from that event besides the Charity. Rich paid for TFL to be a sponsor.

Other than that, I don't think there are any plans for Advertising at all.

Thanks for your interest and support.

------------------
-Essayons
Old February 13, 1999, 12:35 PM   #3
boing

Rob'
I didn't mean the charity deal (good idea!). The 'Feedback' topic on members vs. junior members threaded into a discussion of advertising, and T-shirts. I generally wear annonymous, non-descript clothing, but I'd buy a shirt to support the board.
Thanks for the quick reply!

-boing
Old February 13, 1999, 12:55 PM   #4
Rob Pincus

Gotcha.....
Thanks.
Old February 13, 1999, 01:15 PM   #5
El Chimango Pete

Just changed from MS Explorer to Netscape and opened the new page... at first i thought that the browser was handling it differently (!) - The new layout is great (and in general TFL is extremely useful and informative) ... congratulations.
Old February 13, 1999, 04:21 PM   #6
DC
Moderator Emeritus

If you have (had) your bookmark to the main contents page, you will have to change it.
The new software changed the cgi part of the URL.

this is how I book mark:

http://www.thefiringline.com/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi

the old URL had "/cgibin/ instead of ubbcgi
Old February 13, 1999, 04:28 PM   #7
Contender

Nice Job on the new board. Seems more orderly and stylish.
Old February 13, 1999, 04:49 PM   #8
longhair

boy , the new board freaked me out for a few minutes, i didn't know if i was gonna like it or not. after being on here awhile, i got used to it, i think it's gonna be alright.
loooooking goood!

------------------
fiat justitia

[email protected]

Old February 13, 1999, 05:11 PM   #9
DC
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah. The active topics is a cool feature..a direct link to each thread that has been busy on that date

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes"

Old February 13, 1999, 08:59 PM   #10
boing

Well, it took half a pack of smokes, but I got used to those lines. I gotta quit these damn things.

-boing

P.S.- Can Today's Active Posts be made to show the time of the last post? I think this would help those of us who check in several times a day.

[This message has been edited by boing (edited February 13, 1999).]
Old February 13, 1999, 11:16 PM   #11
Grayfox

I liked the old board. Once I get used to something, change annoys me. Ok, so I'm old fashioned. This new board just looks so dry. Its like being in a bussiness program. Oh well, I'll get used to it. I'm not about to quit my favorite place.
Old February 14, 1999, 12:20 AM   #12
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Boing-
Believe it or not, you're *way* ahead of me in terms of checking out the Board's features. I promise to bone up within the next few days.

In the meantime, if you'd like to check out the BBS software that we use, try http://www.ultimatebb.com/ .
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited February 14, 1999).]
Old February 14, 1999, 02:52 AM   #13
JJB

Serves me right. I'm off for about a day and come back to these big changes.

I like them.

It may be my old and weak eyes but I find this layout easier to read.

Keep up the good work.

Jim in IN

------------------
-- TANSTAAFL

Old February 14, 1999, 04:35 AM   #14
Douglas in CT

Dear Administrator,
Really like the new format.
Would it be possible to do something about the background color?
Specifically in the posting areas with the alternating white and grey backgrounds.I find that the white is a bit too harsh. Perhaps a different color combination could be used.

------------------
Regards,
~Douglas in CT
Old February 14, 1999, 08:33 AM   #15
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Douglas-
I will be playing with the colors, ad nauseum, at a later time.

The white I show is an off white, not a bright white. I believe the colors displayed are a function of the number of colors your monitor can handle.
Rich
Old February 14, 1999, 09:06 AM   #16
Sackett

Like the new board but whether due to the new design or due to a new server location, the load time is now much longer.
Old February 14, 1999, 09:10 AM   #17
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Sackett-
We didn't move the actual location...we only put the programs into a different directory on the same Server.
Rich
Old February 14, 1999, 05:25 PM   #18
Jim V

Now, I have a question. Prior to the change, (which I like bty, except for the start I got when I tried to get on the board during the changeover), when one posted an entry his/her name and password came up automatically. Now it does not, or is that something I have to change in my settings?
I've got so many different P/W's from different things at work and at home I have a hard time keeping them in correct order.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Old February 14, 1999, 08:56 PM   #19
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Jim-
This Board is easy:
1) Go to the "profile" tab to change your password to something easily remembered
2) If you forget your password, the software can immediately send it to you based on your email address...just start a post and click on "forget your password"
3) OR go to the "prefs" tab and check off "remember" my password. The software will do the work for you
Rich
Old February 14, 1999, 09:53 PM   #20
JJB

Now there is one thing I do not care for. I noticed that the arrangement of forums when using the Hop To box has changed. It used to be the same arrangement of forums you find when you are on the Forums page. Now it seems to be some semi alphabetic arrangement but not quite. What gives?

Jim In IN

------------------
-- TANSTAAFL

Old February 14, 1999, 10:18 PM   #21
boing

JJB-
I'll second that. Hop To should mimic the order of the main page.

I was going to say something sooner, but I've said my share enough lately, and I didn't want to come off as a whiner!

OTOH, 'Questions, Suggestions, and Feedback' is there for a reason: to help the folks who run this board make it even more outstanding than it already is. That's a tough job, and I'm going to do my part to "help".

Hang in there, guys, we're with you every step of the way!

-boing
Old February 14, 1999, 11:53 PM   #22
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Jim; Boing-
You're both right. I'd not noticed it , as I never use the feature. For what it's worth, the order is apparently based on the order in which Forums were created.

We only license the software, though. We've got as much control over it as we do over your Windows crashes .

The owners of the software, Ultimate Bulleting Board are pretty good about working these issues out within a month or 6 weeks of release. Sit tight and let us know of any other bugs...we do report them.
Rich