The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 9, 2020, 08:55 PM   #1
kymasabe

Help me find my Charter .38

I had Charter Arms build me a custom gun a few years ago, thought I'd have it forever. Well, fell on hard times and sold it to a "friend" who promised to sell it back when I got back on my feet. He gave it to his daughter and had told me he'd sell it back to me when she was done with it. I've been trying to buy it back for years and I check on it once or twice a year and was just told it's gone, it's been sold, he has no idea where it is so...I'm hoping the community can help me find my old gun, is unique and has custom serial #.
Charter Arms, .38 spec, 4" barrel, stainless finish with black trigger, black adjustable rear sight, had black wood grips , ser # MSS1967.

Last edited by kymasabe; August 10, 2020 at 04:57 AM.
Old August 10, 2020, 07:00 PM   #2
shoebox1.1

I hope you get it back
Old August 11, 2020, 08:50 PM   #3
shurshot

Good luck. Could be in a shoebox in someone's closet, at the bottom of a river, in a gun safe, under the seat of a pickup truck, or in a Police evidence locker. Once they hit the market, odds are, they are gone for good. Might be easier to just write it off as a loss and search for a similar replacement. Been there, done that, quite a few I regret selling over the years.
Old August 12, 2020, 01:18 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

Why not just have Charter build you a new one?
Old August 12, 2020, 01:34 PM   #5
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
Why not just have Charter build you a new one?
How big a deal is it to do that? I assume it costs something.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 12, 2020, 08:18 PM   #6
Bill DeShivs

Don't know, but he did it once. Why not twice?
Old August 13, 2020, 01:31 AM   #7
Grizzly2

I think it was on this forum that I once said I'd like to have a 2" Bulldog .44 special with a front sight and without the ports cut in the barrel. Some extra polishing and bright bluing would also be nice. Someone said to ask them and that they just might build it. So, I guess it does happen. I suppose it just depends on how feasible the request is.
Old August 13, 2020, 05:15 AM   #8
kymasabe

Regarding doing it again:
Doing it the first time was a favor. I"d bought a Charter from an estate sale, was new in box, had the original tag hanging off the trigger guard and came with a letter of provenance. I called Charter to get some information about the gun, and minutes later found myself on the phone with the (owner?/pres?) of Charter who said the gun I'd just bought was part of his father's old collection, had been given away by his father and he offered to buy it back. I suggested a trade would work for me, build me a 4"inch barreled. 38 with a custom serial # and I was good. I immediately shipped the collectible to Charter and a few weeks later my custom gun arrived at my FFL.
Unusual circumstance...they're not likely to build me another one, and my custom serial #is gone.
Old August 13, 2020, 06:48 AM   #9
Buckeye!

Charter still does customs .. they are soooo covered up now just attempting to keep up with demands .... Im planning on having a custom build done when or if this buying frenzy is over... Im wanting a aluminum Bulldog frame ( boxer ) 7 shot 32 H&R with a 2 inch barrel
Old August 13, 2020, 09:11 AM   #10
biblethumpncop

Correct, they will custom build one for you. I was notified yesterday that my special order guns were just shipped this week. It has been about a 5-6 month process, probably due to the panicdemic.

My guns are a 6 shot .38spl +P on a steel Bulldog frame (not the XL) with a 3" barrel and adjustable sights. I asked for them to put a stainless steel grip frame on them if they had them in stock. I don't know if they did. I will find out soon!
Old August 13, 2020, 08:18 PM   #11
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by biblethumpncop View Post
Correct, they will custom build one for you. I was notified yesterday that my special order guns were just shipped this week. It has been about a 5-6 month process, probably due to the panicdemic.

My guns are a 6 shot .38spl +P on a steel Bulldog frame (not the XL) with a 3" barrel and adjustable sights. I asked for them to put a stainless steel grip frame on them if they had them in stock. I don't know if they did. I will find out soon!
Somewhere in the pile here I have a steel Charter grip frame. Probably fairly old.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old August 13, 2020, 10:28 PM   #12
biblethumpncop

Mine came with aluminum grip frames. Oh well.
Old August 14, 2020, 03:26 PM   #13
Grizzly2

What would you guess the weight difference amounts to between the steel and alum grip frames? An ounce or two? I always thought an extra ounce or two might help the old 3" Bulldog.

Please let us know how those adj sights work out. I was thinking of giving up on snub nose revolvers ever shooting to point of aim until this old SS Undercover arrived. Now I have to decide if I want to sent it in for repairs. I had to send the old Bulldog in for a new barrel to get it to shoot to poa.
Old August 14, 2020, 03:42 PM   #14
jetinteriorguy

If you have any buddies in the sheriffs dept. and you know the SN. maybe they can track it down for you if it’s ever been sold by an FFL somewhere along the line.
Old August 14, 2020, 05:45 PM   #15
kenny53

I hope you can find the gun.
Old August 14, 2020, 06:44 PM   #16
Bill DeShivs

"If you have any buddies in the sheriffs dept. and you know the SN. maybe they can track it down for you if it’s ever been sold by an FFL somewhere along the line."

Law enforcement does not catalog and coordinate gun sale serial numbers.
Old August 14, 2020, 09:32 PM   #17
Cheapshooter

VVV
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 15, 2020, 06:53 AM   #18
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
"If you have any buddies in the sheriffs dept. and you know the SN. maybe they can track it down for you if it’s ever been sold by an FFL somewhere along the line."

That’s why I used the word ‘maybe’.
Old August 15, 2020, 08:46 AM   #19
1911_Hardball

Quote:

Correct. By Federal law, ATF is the only entity allowed to trace firearms, and they may only do traces by request from other law enforcement agencies and only if it's in involved in a criminal investigation.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/...tracing-center
Old August 15, 2020, 09:19 AM   #20
kymasabe

For the record, I'm not asking anyone to try and track it down thru law enforcement channels. I posted in the highly unlikely chance that someone might say "my buddy just bought one like that" or "I just saw a gun like that on gunbroker/gunsamerica/armslist, etc...".