The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 29, 2016, 02:15 PM   #1
Screwball

Looking for a New Finish for Ithaca Shotgun

I just got my Ithaca 87 (37) squared away to the point where I'm happy with it as a defensive shotgun. Put on new wood, and redid the barrel (cut down to 20", new sights, threaded for Remington chokes). Only other thing I'm going to do is some Velcro on the side, so I can use shotgun cards as a side saddle... but holding off on that until I'm finished.

I believe the original finish was Parkerized, which I wouldn't have a problem with, but would like to go with something a little tougher, as well as looking good. Looking to get input on different refinishing options.

I don't want to do anything spray/bake on, unless it is extremely durable. This is more of a backup shotgun (my 870 Police tends to stay alongside my bed), but I rather it hold up to basic wear (light scratches) quite well. I also prefer good corrosion resistance.

Color wise, nothing too far away from traditional (no FDE, no OD). I'm happy with a nickel look (matte, not shiny). Can do Parkerizing again, as the original is a little worn on certain parts. Don't mind a black finish, either... as long as the durability is there.

I have two main options so far... first being sending it to CCR. They have done great work with my other firearms, so I know I'll be happy with it. Ideally, I'd like to do cera-plate on all the metal, but unsure on their ability to do the barrel and magazine tube. Worst case, I can have them Parkerize the externals and plate the internals. I did send them an email, but they usually have issues with email communication between myself and them.

The second option is Robar, doing NP3. My 870 Police was done in NP3 Plus, but it is $470 for that. For $370, I'd get a decent finish (if I go with them, I'm sure I'll put in the extra for NP3 Plus, but I rather not spend that much on the shotgun). I looked at Roguard, but cannot see it being more durable that a plating.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Only other companies I had do finishing work was DGR and Shuff's. Wasn't a fan of DGR (when Dean was running it), but might check with them again to see what work they could do. Shuff's was open to doing Parkerizing on a Winchester 1897 that I was going to do a similar project with... but just had to take it completely apart. The Ithaca isn't as complicated as an 1897, so that is another option.

Thanks for taking a look.

Last edited by Screwball; August 29, 2016 at 02:57 PM.
Old August 29, 2016, 08:42 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

There is no reason whatsoever to refinish your shotgun.
That said, Ionbond from Club Custom Guns, or industrial hard chrome from Mahovsky's Metalife are both superior finishes to anything else.
Old August 29, 2016, 08:50 PM   #3
turtlehead

From those pictures I think it looks great.
Old August 29, 2016, 10:35 PM   #4
Model12Win

What a slick Ithaca, looks dope as is son. Why do you want to refinish it, especially if it's a defense gun?

PS: Here is my Remington 870 Police:

Old August 30, 2016, 01:16 AM   #5
TxGun

Personally, I think it looks fine as is, but any one of the refinishes mentioned in this thread will work fine. I've either used them, or used something very similar, and they all work great and are durable. Really, it just depends on what 'look' you'd like for the gun, IMO.

Last edited by TxGun; August 30, 2016 at 01:27 AM.
Old August 30, 2016, 11:34 AM   #6
The Rattler

Shotgun Finish

Have you considered Lauer Weaponry's Duracoat or Durablue for the exterior? My research shows that it is claimed they will last 2 lifetimes and no maintenance is required to prevent rusting. Durablue looks most similar to standard bluing and only experts can tell a slight difference. Duracoat has a big color selection, and Durablue comes in blue, black, and blue/black. You can get all 3 Durablue colors in matte or polish. It can be applied with an aerosol can, spray painted, or with an airbrush. Check YouTube and Google. The website is http://www.lauerweaponry.com/ Be sure to follow the instructions to a "T." Or, a professional can apply it.
Old August 30, 2016, 03:30 PM   #7
Screwball

Looking for a New Finish for Ithaca Shotgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
There is no reason whatsoever to refinish your shotgun.

That said, Ionbond from Club Custom Guns, or industrial hard chrome from Mahovsky's Metalife are both superior finishes to anything else.

In regards to refinishing, yes, the shotgun will be perfectly fine without refinishing.

However, I would like to do a fresh finish, as the gun has changed from night to day with the wood and barrel work. I like my firearms to look good when I first get them, as I don't mind wear/marks that I caused. The iPhone pictures do it more justice than it should get. It was definitely used a lot, but don't think was fired too much. Finish is worn on edges of the receiver, like a hunter cradled it in their arms.

In regards to the finishes, I'm really not too knowledgeable on IonBond. Mahovsky's does have good reputation on a few forums I frequent. How does Club Custom Guns' IonBond differ from say Springer Precision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win View Post
Why do you want to refinish it, especially if it's a defense gun?
Here is my primary home defense gun... also an 870 Police (NP3 Plus).

In regards to why on a defensive gun... because I like my firearms starting off life looking good. I had my ankle backup gun (S&W 642-1, with a 9mm conversion cylinder), done at the same time as the 870. It looks just the same as it did when it came back from Robar. Just as I was in uniform, I like my gear in top shape. It comes down to pride, at least in my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rattler View Post
Have you considered Lauer Weaponry's Duracoat or Durablue for the exterior?

Not looking to do it myself, or any DuraCoat. To me, it is a little too lacking in the durability department.

Last edited by Screwball; August 31, 2016 at 06:04 AM.
Old August 30, 2016, 09:35 PM   #8
Model12Win

Yeah Robar does some good work. I think I'd go with that, OP. Some of the toughest if not the toughest coatings out there.

But you still don't really need to, this is more of a "want" type of thing and it looks super cool.
Old August 30, 2016, 10:13 PM   #9
Bill DeShivs

Robar's NP finishes are electroless nickel. It's a good finish, but not as durable as hard chrome or nitriding.
Old August 31, 2016, 07:09 AM   #10
FITASC

Personally, I'd leave the finish alone and take the money and have the stock checkered for a better purchase when firing; don't want the trigger finger sliding around under recoil........
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 8, 2016, 08:11 PM   #11
Screwball

Well, decision was made... shotgun ships to Robar tomorrow. Will be NP3 Plus.

I was going to do NP3, but since my S&W 642-1 and Remington 870 Police have held up spectacularly with NP3 Plus, I figured why not put in the extra $100 and get the same good protection on the Ithaca.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
Robar's NP finishes are electroless nickel. It's a good finish, but not as durable as hard chrome or nitriding.

Sorry, but it is a little more than just electroless nickel. Also, has a lot more applications than hard chrome. You ever see alloy frames chromed?

In regards to durability, Robar does have their salt testing data. Until I see another company support results that differ, NP3 Plus is A LOT more durable than either other choice.
Old September 8, 2016, 08:49 PM   #12
JWT

You're gonna have quite a few bucks in that for a defense shotgun. Please post pictures when it's done.
Old September 9, 2016, 01:20 AM   #13
Bill DeShivs

Alloy frames are easily chromed when underplated with electroless nickel.
EN has the ability to act as a "carrier" for other materials, like Teflon.