The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 16, 2018, 07:06 PM   #51
KEYBEAR

7gr. of Unique is a 44 Special load the Starting load out of Lyman for a 44 mag 240gr lead is 10 gr.of Unique Max is 11,7 .
Old September 16, 2018, 09:26 PM   #52
Mobuck

rescinded
"I apologize in advanced... its for a Savage 12FV 223. "
I had incorrectly ASSumed the ammo was being used in a semi-auto.

Last edited by Mobuck; September 17, 2018 at 07:09 AM.
Old September 17, 2018, 05:17 AM   #53
J.G. Terry

Start Simple

High Primers: One poster has suggested running finger across case head to find high primer. I was told this stunt by a old time reloader. It works. I did have random misfires from a progressive press. The cup assembly had come loose and was jammed with ball powder. You can get nuts with exotic solutions. Right, try alternative means of seating primers. To me, the RCBS hand primer tool is a monstrosity. YMMV. Got two here in parts that can be had cheap! The bench mounted RCBS priming tools are great.
Old September 17, 2018, 07:20 AM   #54
cptjack

no powder in cartridge has nothing to do with primer firing if primer fired with no powder you would of have a squib
Old September 17, 2018, 10:00 AM   #55
ninosdemente

Bottom Gun, the primers were not touch by fingers if that is what you meant by contamination. Just counted what I needed and used the same box to cover the rest and poured it on the primer tray.
Old October 11, 2018, 11:27 AM   #56
Colorado Redneck

I thought I had the misfire issue corrected on my X7. Wrong. Yesterday, I finally made a successful stalk on 3 pronghorn. Got set to shoot-weak assed click. (Sidenote--no flinch!) Chambered another round and it went bang. Got a nice healthy doe drt. So both primer strikes were very shallow. WTH? In reading on the net about bolt cleaning a couple of "experts" advised NO LUBE on the firing pin assembly. When reassembling the bolt after a thorough cleaning last go round it was put back together un lubed. That misfire was the first problem since working on the thing a month or so back. This morning I test fired some primed empty cases. No fire. Long story short, finally lubed the firing pin spring and guide hole with WD40. Wiped off good, blew compressed air gently, reassembled and tested. 5 straight bangs. Going deer hunting next week and it damn well better go bang when I touch it off.

I will say, after browsing the Marlin forum, X7 bolts are a weakness in that firearm.