The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 2, 2014, 08:24 PM   #1
Fullthrottle

A question about SRM primers.

Ok so first off I will state that I screwed up. I was looking for small rifle primers at my lgs the other day. Told the guy what I needed. I got home and today I realize that he gave me small rifle magnum primers.

The mistake I made was I assumed he gave me what I asked for(I should have looked closely at the box) That is my fault.

The LGS has a no return policy on ammo, primers, powder.

Here is the real question. I was intending these primers for 5.56 reloading, can I still do so?
In other words start low and work my way up on powder. Any of you folks do something dumb like this and just load accordingly?

I have been reloading since around 2008, so I am not new to reloading(and I am not asking for recipes) just thoughts as to is it reasonable to start at min reloading spec and just work up to a good/safe load?(I realize I will have to rework my load when I get non magnum primers).

I am used to following the manuals about reloading, that is why I ask, this is a bit outside the manual.

And for what its worth I went there to check powder. I finally picked up some more Varget!
Old March 2, 2014, 11:51 PM   #2
Ifishsum

They will work fine, I regularly use magnum primers for .223/5.56. It sounds like you will be working up the load with them to begin with - the warnings about switching primers (and other components) is about changing primers on an existing load that has been tested, and assuming the same load is safe with the new components. If you work up your load with them to begin with then you're in good shape.
Old March 2, 2014, 11:58 PM   #3
Fullthrottle

That is what I figured. Just was wondering if I was on the right track for that.

I had a question a month or two ago about doing the opposite Large rifle primers were available locally but I was wanting to use them in a 7mm Mag!

After reading the comments and understanding that the non mag primers may not light off that much powder, I decided against that(the large magnum rifle primers was the reason I was really in my LGS anyhow....but none to be had)!
Old March 3, 2014, 08:57 AM   #4
steve4102

You will be fine, just start low and work up. Many, many handloaders use Mag primers in their 223/5.56 ARs. The CCI #41 was designed for rifles like the AR, It is classified as a Mag Primer. I use Rem 7 1/2 primers in all my cartridges that take SR primers, it to is classified as a Mag primer.