The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 19, 2011, 09:39 PM   #1

which load could he use?

My friend has a Ruger Old Army 45 caliber SS with the 7.5" barrel. He has purchased a Howell Old West conversion kit in 45 colt. There is data for both cowboy replica SA revolvers and for Ruger, Colt, and Freedom Arms only. The cowboy loads are quite mild as compared to the others. We think that beause of the conversion cylinder he is needs to use the cowboy loads even though he has the ROA. I believe the reference to the Ruger is for their revolvers chambered in 45 Long Colt. Obviously he would like to shoot the higher pressure loads if they are safe for his gun and is why I'm posting. Anyone have an idea here? This may be a question for the blackpowder section but, as he intends to roll his own I thought I would start in the reloading section.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.

Last edited by .284; February 19, 2011 at 10:27 PM.
Old February 20, 2011, 08:46 AM   #2

Okay, did a bit more research and found that the back plate of the conversion cylinder would be the weak link in the system and is why the cowboy boy loads apply. That and the 45 case is not the strongest in comparison to say a 44 mag. The fact that the 45 colt was and has remained a mild load since it was born in the 1800's is making my buddy reconsider his purchase. He has realized that you cannot make his 45 ROA perform like my 44 mag by using some brass and smokeless powder. He bought all the equipment with the thought of having a more convenient way to use it for hunting other than stuffing it with 777. He will certainly continue to use it for that during Michigan's BP season. Unless someone finds something we're not seeing, case closed.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old February 20, 2011, 11:31 AM   #3
jmortimer

The myth about .45 Colt brass is just that a myth - Here is an article by John Linebaugh from his Custom Sixguns site "The .45 Colt Disloving the Myth"
http://www.customsixguns.com/writing...g_the_myth.htm
If it can shoot standard pressure SAAMI spec .45 Colt then you are talking about a lot of "gun" - a 255 grain hard cast SWC over 8.5 grains of Unique will do just about anything a gun can do. That is a mild load. Otherwise use the Trail Boss powder load and you will be way under spec and still have a lot of "gun."