The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 28, 2018, 09:12 AM   #51
higgite

Quote:
How much is your reloading time worth?
Absolutely nothing. I don't charge myself one red cent for it.
Old September 28, 2018, 09:56 AM   #52
Schlitz 45

You can’t figure your time into the equation. It’s like doing the math to see what that elk meat in the freezer costs per pound, you really don’t want to know-the reward is in enjoying the experience & the fruits of your labor.
Old September 28, 2018, 11:46 AM   #53
mikld

I don't attach costs, $$$, to things I enjoy doing; like my Sundays at Church, my beach walks, dinner out with my wife, watching old westerns with my wife or reloading...
Old September 28, 2018, 05:51 PM   #54
hdwhit

I got into reloading because I was under 21 and so couldn't buy 30 Carbine ammunition (it was considered a pistol cartridge), but there were no restrictions on me buying all the components I wanted.

The cost savings - which in the 1970's were greater than they are today - was just an added benefit.

If someone is going to make a meaningful comparison between their reloaded ammunition and factory ammunition, then it only makes sense to use the applicable cost accounting standards and compute the cost of the reloaded ammunition on a "full absorption" basis. This would take into account not only the purchase price of the components, but sales taxes, shipping, the cost of equipment and the value of the operator's time. For most of us, once the cost of the components and depreciation on the equipment was considered most of us would not realize any cost savings at all. For the remainder, the cost savings would be so small as to leave the reloader envious of the wage paid to a child chained to a sewing machine in a Bangladeshi garment factory.

If I considered the "value" of my time at my normal billing rate, a box of 50 cartridges would be "worth" about $125. But, I don't reload to try and save a penny here or a nickel there. I shoot to support my reloading habit, so as far as I am concerned, reloading - and the peace of mind it brings - is an end unto itself which the brass, bullets, primers and powder are all purchased in order to achieve.
Old September 28, 2018, 06:43 PM   #55
Road_Clam

Handloading is a passion and offers relaxing therapy for me. Pinning a "cost for my time" is completely irrelevant. If you really want my take, I look at it as for every hour I spend down in the reloading man cave is an hour I saved money by not getting drunk and chasing expensive/ugly hags in a bar !
Old September 29, 2018, 10:06 PM   #56
briandg

Another thing to remember is that I guess everyone does things that cost more in time than it does in paid labor. I always worked on my own car. I built cabinets and did plumbing, even re-roofed a home, mostly because I didn't want anyone else doing these things. I wanted to do them myself.

handloading allows me to save money, customize what I shoot, and it gave me something to do with all of the empty time that I would have wasted watching television.

If I hadn't bought my equipment decades ago, and learned how much satisfaction there could be with creating your own ammunition, let's be serious, I never would have gone into shooting centerfire except as a very rare thing.
Old October 1, 2018, 04:16 PM   #57
Average Joe

How much do you charge the NFL for sitting there and watching football all day Sunday ?
Old October 1, 2018, 05:59 PM   #58
briandg

I watch the stuff that I have to pay for. PBS. I am far better off financially down in my basement saving thousands of dollars than I am upstairs buying movies on redbox or watching pay channels.
Old October 3, 2018, 04:43 AM   #59
Double Naught Spy

Interesting discussion, sort of counter to all the folks that claim to reload because they are saving all kinds of money.

Me? I don't reload because I am saving all kinds of time.

I really got turned off to the concept as I watched people I liked to work on shooting skills with turn to reloading to save money. Then our shooting sessions changed from being focused on shooting skills to focusing on their load development and assessing why given rounds failed to perform. I will say this for them, reloading gave them a whole new set of excuses for justifying poor shots and gun malfunctions. "I didn't pull that shot, but I may have gotten a bit much powder in that case..."

Along similar lines, you got the few people making their own biofuel for their cars who talk about the money they save and how good they feel about making their own fuel. They enjoy the process, which is great. Me? I am going to the gas station...
Old October 3, 2018, 05:27 AM   #60
Old Stony

I have reloaded for a lot of years, and when I started I was hammering the cases into Lee dies to save my self some money. The whole process has evolved over the years into the quality of the finished product. I cannot think of one firearm I have loaded for that didn't shoot better groups than it did with factory ammo.
Then there are the vintage calibers like 32/40,40/60, etc. that you have to reload for if you want to shoot them.
Old October 3, 2018, 07:56 AM   #61
higgite

Quote:
I really got turned off to the concept as I watched people I liked to work on shooting skills with turn to reloading to save money. Then our shooting sessions changed from being focused on shooting skills to focusing on their load development and assessing why given rounds failed to perform. I will say this for them, reloading gave them a whole new set of excuses for justifying poor shots and gun malfunctions. "I didn't pull that shot, but I may have gotten a bit much powder in that case..."
Maybe you liked developing shooting skills with them more than they liked developing shooting skills with you. Reloading can be about more than saving money.
Old October 3, 2018, 10:35 AM   #62
Double Naught Spy

Well it turned out to be a lot of wasted time for those of us wanted to do drills as we waited on those to scrounge around on the ground to find a round that would not fire or a particular piece of brass, because they "needed" to figure out what didn't go right.
Old October 3, 2018, 11:25 AM   #63
Sharkbite

Quote:
Well it turned out to be a lot of wasted time for those of us wanted to do drills as we waited on those to scrounge around on the ground to find a round that would not fire or a particular piece of brass, because they "needed" to figure out what didn't go right.
You need friends with better reloading skills. I cant remember the last time a round i loaded didnt go bang
Old October 3, 2018, 12:19 PM   #64
hounddawg

the question should be how much does the time spent at the reloading bench benefit your enjoyment of life
Old October 3, 2018, 01:02 PM   #65
higgite

Quote:
Understood. It's unfortunate that a couple of inconsiderate shooters turned you off to reloading. It can be a fun pastime without inconveniencing other shooters.
Old October 3, 2018, 06:14 PM   #66
Average Joe

It's a hobby, some people like to work with wood, some people work on cars, so what's the difference, it's all about what you enjoy doing in your spare time.