The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 9, 2017, 05:14 PM   #51
jmr40

I've not paid a lot of attention to 1911's in a while. But MOST Springfields were made and assembled in Brazil. Some of the mid grade and high end guns were assembled here from parts made in Brazil.

To my knowledge they have never offered a gun 100% made here. That may have changed, but SA has NEVER manufactured a gun period, at least not in the last 2 centuries. They are an importer and have been since acquiring the Springfield name. I don't know who is building their parts, it could be domestic, or they may be imported. But until I see photos of a factory I won't believe they are actually manufacturing anything. Assemble from purchased parts yes.

But that isn't meant as a negative. The Brazil made guns are good guns and I have little doubt the current guns are too, where ever the parts come from. I've had both versions the OP is considering and both are good. I think the SA is a little better than the Rock Island. Whether or not it is worth the extra cost is a personal decision. I'd pay the extra for the SA if limited to those.

Winston Churchill
Old September 9, 2017, 05:52 PM   #52
Jacket67

What of the Ruger sr1911? Since apparently getting an ambi safety fitted is not overly difficult or expensive, I would definitely consider this one. I have always loved Rugers and there's been at least one in my house my entire life. So I trust the company. Plus, to my knowledge, they are made in USA? I know I originally stated I don't care for stainless, but for some reason, this particular model looks great in it. But they also have them in black, and if given the opportunity, I'd get that instead. But finish and ambi safety aside, what is the word on this gun's quality and shootability? Meaning, is it well-built and accurate, and would it be a great first option to save for?
Old September 9, 2017, 06:23 PM   #53
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40
To my knowledge they have never offered a gun 100% made here. That may have changed, but SA has NEVER manufactured a gun period, at least not in the last 2 centuries. They are an importer and have been since acquiring the Springfield name.
Respectfully, I think you need to be specific that you are referring to the company known today as Springfield Armory. This is a new company that doesn't date back anywhere near 200 years, but the real Springfield Armory (the government armory located in Springfield, Massachusetts) dates back to George Washington, during the Revolution, and they most certainly made a LOT of firearms within the past 200 years. The real Springfield Armory was in operation up until 1968.

Per Wikipedia, "In 1974, the Springfield Armory name was licensed to Robert Reese, to form Springfield Armory, Inc., a company that manufactures semi-automatic versions of the M14 rifle and M1911 pistol. The company is not located in or near Springfield, Massachusetts and has no direct association with the original Springfield Armory."

And therein lies my complaint with the company known as Springfield Armory. Their motto is "The oldest name in American firearms," which is obviously intended to create the impression that they are the same Springfield Armory that built firearms for the U.S. military from 1777 until 1968. The statement is true, of course -- it IS the oldest name in American firearms -- but that deliberately obfuscates the fact that the current company has exactly nothing in common with the real Springfield Armory other than using the name.
Old September 9, 2017, 06:42 PM   #54
mikejonestkd

Quote:
What of the Ruger sr1911?
The ruger 1911 is well regarded for the money. IIRC they are about as all american made as you can get with today's global economy.

A friend has a fullsize ruger 1911 and it shoots well and he is quite happy with it.

You should be able to get one at a slightly lower price than a Springfield or a colt.
Old September 9, 2017, 08:05 PM   #55
jdc1244

Quote:
Again all you are buying is the name.
Which is perfectly appropriate.

A product’s name can carry with it an actual value acknowledged in the product’s market.
Old September 9, 2017, 08:57 PM   #56
Deaf Smith

Quote:
1911 Advice
I've used several Series 80/90 Colt 1911s and I can say they run 100 percent.

I cannot say that about any other brand.

Deaf
Old September 10, 2017, 05:09 AM   #57
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket67 View Post
What of the Ruger sr1911? Since apparently getting an ambi safety fitted is not overly difficult or expensive, I would definitely consider this one. I have always loved Rugers and there's been at least one in my house my entire life. So I trust the company. Plus, to my knowledge, they are made in USA? I know I originally stated I don't care for stainless, but for some reason, this particular model looks great in it. But they also have them in black, and if given the opportunity, I'd get that instead. But finish and ambi safety aside, what is the word on this gun's quality and shootability? Meaning, is it well-built and accurate, and would it be a great first option to save for?
Ruger caused quite a stir when they finally came out with a 1911. While I don't own one, nor have I shot one, I've read nothing but positive reviews of them. If I were in the market for a 1911, the Ruger would be near the top of the Long List.
Old September 10, 2017, 01:48 PM   #58
Jacket67

I've been looking around some and it seems like there's about a $100 difference between the Ruger and the Colt I am looking at. I really like the competition model. It's pretty much the only one that comes with everything I like minus the ambi safety. Unless the Ruger feels better to me, I'd probably opt to save about $100-$200 more and get the Colt. But again, this purchase is far away so that is subject to change. I still like the idea of buying the cheaper RIA, but at the same time, I also like buying a higher-end model. Just found out a friend actually has a Rock Island 1911 so I'll definitely shoot his before making a decision.
Old September 10, 2017, 03:48 PM   #59
Snuffy308

I have bought several 1911 colts knowing that part of that purchase price is a premium for the name only. I'm under no illusion that I am getting the built in quality that colt was known for from years ago. Still, I like colts and they do hold their value.
Old September 10, 2017, 03:59 PM   #60
Jacket67

I read a post where I guy mentioned that he bought an RIA first to learn on. He used it to get used to the platform, learn how to clean it well, strip it down, shoot it, etc., so that when he saved for a Colt he knew how to treat it right. Seems like a pretty good plan to me, seeing as how I'd hate to negligently scratch up a Colt because of a novice error.

What do you guys think of that idea? I'm currently between the RIA rock standard fs, Colt competition model, or the Ruger sr1911. RIA and Colt being the top two.
Old September 10, 2017, 08:30 PM   #61
TunnelRat

It's not hard to not scratch a 1911. For that matter no pistol that is shot extensively will be pristine forever. There's nothing wrong with honest wear. You're buying a new production pistol not an antique or collector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 10, 2017, 08:44 PM   #62
JJ45

I have 3 1911s

Colt 1991A1 Alchemy Custom .45
Springfield 1911A1 Mil Spec .45 which has had minor trigger work
Colt LW Commander .45, box stock and will stay that way

I like them all, especially the LW, but I wouldn't say the Colts are any better than the Springfield as far as triggers as they came from the box or accuracy or reliability. The Springer gives a more solid impression and that's the best way I can explain it. You guys who have been around guns all your life would know what I mean. Maybe the parked finish has something to do with it.

I love the Colts but if I had to go to the mattresses with just one .45 it would be the Springfield.

The Springfield seems to be less magazine sensitive. The LW Commander has the heaviest trigger as it came from the factory, but it breaks clean with no creep or over travel. IMO, about right for a carry pistol. again IMO, a real classy pistol.

If you like a parkerized finish go with the Springfield.
Old September 11, 2017, 09:43 AM   #63
SA1911

Deaf_Smith,

Try an S&W 1911. It will be the most reliable 1911 you'll ever fire. And it's far more accurate than than top shelf 1911's.
Old September 11, 2017, 12:40 PM   #64
TunnelRat

Quote:
Try an S&W 1911. It will be the most reliable 1911 you'll ever fire. And it's far more accurate than than top shelf 1911's.
I've had two S&W 1911s. On one the safety plunger broke off the frame and had to go back to the factory. The second was a 1911sc that had loads of issues from failures to feed, failures to eject, and had to go back to the factory as well. When it came back it was noted that the factory had "adjusted the slide to barrel fit" and while it functioned reliably it never grouped particularly well after that.

I don't doubt that there are many that have had good experience with S&W. I'm just sharing my experience as it relates to this statement.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 11, 2017, 01:08 PM   #65
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1911 View Post
Deaf_Smith,

I don't know about accuracy, but it's plum hard to beat a COLT for the reliability department.

And the S&Ws have weird (ugly to me) fish scale slide serrations. It's like hey are we making a pistol or a fish??
Old September 11, 2017, 04:23 PM   #66
Hun Shooter

Picking out a 1911 for you is like asking us what kind of car you should buy. It's a question of personal preference that only you know. It all depends on what are you buying a 1911 for, carry, fun, collecting. What's your budget? Do you prefer American made 1911s? What size are you looking to get in what caliber? What sights or any other features do you prefer? What kind of finish? Are you planning to modify it? There are so many variables that it would be impossible to suggest you an exact model or make without knowing you personally.

I plunged into the world of 1911's last May when I bought an Israeli M5000 at the local pawn shop. It was affordable, it shot ok. It taught me what features I liked and what I didn't I learned how to do a trigger job on it after watching a few youtube videos. Eventually I ended up selling it because I absolutely hated the sights and it was not cost effective to have the slide recut for Novak sights.

Currently I own a Springfield Loaded Champion that I installed a Fusion Arms trigger group in, extended slide stop, magazine release, a Springfield MC Operator that I only changed the slide stop and magazine release on and finally a Para Ordnance that I changed from Officer to a Commander slide, did a trigger job, extended slide stop, a new extended safety on the way.

Last edited by Hun Shooter; September 11, 2017 at 07:44 PM.
Old September 12, 2017, 10:59 AM   #67
RickB

Quote:
I'm under no illusion that I am getting the built in quality that colt was known for from years ago.
Check your illusions at the door; most informed people think that Colt is making better pistols now than at any time since the '60s.
Of course, you can still get that "quality", for double what a Colt costs.
Old September 12, 2017, 11:47 AM   #68
adamBomb

Rock island has a very good reputation depending on who you ask. I recently read on another forum where a range owner was saying that they are just as reliable as any other 1911 they rent out, even after many 1000s of rounds. Also, PSA now makes 1911s for $599 and their other stuff is pretty good quality but I am not sure how their 1911s are. Personally, I would go with the Colt but only because I am old school and I would be paying for the brand.
Old September 28, 2017, 11:27 PM   #69
jhansman

Had an SA 1911 Mil-Spec for a time, and never really cared for it. In stainless, it was just a bit too precious, and I sold it for what I paid for it. Now looking seriously at the Rock Island GI Std. Still have all my reloading gear for .45ACP, and it while I love my GP100, it just seems like ya ought have an autoloader in a caliber that will do the job. Just about everything I read tells me this gun is a solid weapon for the $$. And, it's CA legal. Whoopee!
Old September 28, 2017, 11:46 PM   #70
Cirdan

I have the Ruger SR1911 Commander in Stainless Steel. Great gun, perfectly accurate right out of the box and no problems with it.

Thinking of adding a RI to the collection.
Old September 29, 2017, 01:11 AM   #71
Ibmikey

Buy the Colt, shoot the Colt, you will never regret the decision. I have six different brands of 1911's but the Colt's are my favorite shooters.
Old September 29, 2017, 05:05 PM   #72
Snuffy308

Ah....no. DW pistols blow the doors off a colt in every aspect for a couple of hundred more. Wessons are very close to L Baer which cost hundreds more.
Old September 29, 2017, 05:23 PM   #73
RickB

DWs are great guns, based on everything I see/hear about them, but they are considerably more expensive than Colts.

Colt Competition $900, DW Valor over $1700.
Colt Commander $1000, DW Valkyrie Commander $2000.

It's a bit of apples to oranges.
Old September 30, 2017, 02:59 AM   #74
Snuffy308

Nope. Paid less that 1500 for a blemished valor. (never would have known it was a blem if they had not showed me a diagram of the gun and pointed out the blem). Paid nearly 1300 for a colt rail gun. Apples to apples.
Old September 30, 2017, 04:06 AM   #75
Snuffy308

In fact, I would venture to say that springfields mco is a better fitted gun than the rg. And the one I picked up was slightly less expensive than the rg. If you look at it objectively the Springfield is just a better made gun with features like front strap treatment that the rg does not have. And a WHOLE lot better trigger. But the colt will hold its value better because people buy the pony.