The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 1, 2017, 07:34 PM   #51
johnwilliamson062

If you are legally limited to 'six guns' what is a gun?

Can you get a CZ with a cadet kit(22lr conversion) and count it as one gun?
Some of the Sigs and most of the glocks have caliber conversions available in the US. For instand a 40SW Glock can also fire 9mm and 357 Sig with just a barrel change.

Will an AR or Encore count as one gun even if you have different uppers or barrels?

As to those specific pistols in your first post, Sig would be my top choice. The G30 you talk about later would probably win me over, but if you don't like striker fired then don't or at least wait, especially if prices are dropping.

If you want another Beretta go for it. It won't be that much different than what you had before though.
Old October 3, 2017, 09:32 PM   #52
jackstrawIII

Here's thoughts:

On Semi Autos
- I've owned a few FNs over the years. They all ran great, but I didn't like the feel of them. I know that's not very helpful, but that's my experience.
- I also am not a huge Sig fan.
- I'd steer you towards CZ for a semi-auto. Try the P-01. It fills the hand, but also conceals well. Runs flawlessly and is crazy accurate. Find one with a NATO serial number, I like the triggers better.

On Revolvers
- I wouldn't go with a barrel of less than 3" for the 357 mag. If you're going with a short barrel, just buy a J-frame and run 38 specials.
- Look at the 686+ with 3" barrel. A great gun that can be concealed. If not concealing, bump up to the 4" barrel.
Old October 5, 2017, 08:26 PM   #53
Bachá

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwilliamson062 View Post

Some of the Sigs and most of the glocks have caliber conversions available in the US. For instand a 40SW Glock can also fire 9mm and 357 Sig with just a barrel change.

Will an AR or Encore count as one gun even if you have different uppers or barrels?

As to those specific pistols in your first post, Sig would be my top choice. The G30 you talk about later would probably win me over, but if you don't like striker fired then don't or at least wait, especially if prices are dropping.

If you want another Beretta go for it. It won't be that much different than what you had before though.
Thanks for all the advice... you cant exchange barrels here unless the gun “includes it” and it’s sold like that from the shop. For some odd reason no one takes advantage of it and there are no conversion kits offered anywhere for any brand.
Old October 5, 2017, 08:31 PM   #54
Bachá

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrawIII View Post
Here's thoughts:

On Semi Autos
- I've owned a few FNs over the years. They all ran great, but I didn't like the feel of them. I know that's not very helpful, but that's my experience.
- I also am not a huge Sig fan.
- I'd steer you towards CZ for a semi-auto. Try the P-01. It fills the hand, but also conceals well. Runs flawlessly and is crazy accurate. Find one with a NATO serial number, I like the triggers better.

On Revolvers
- I wouldn't go with a barrel of less than 3" for the 357 mag. If you're going with a short barrel, just buy a J-frame and run 38 specials.
- Look at the 686+ with 3" barrel. A great gun that can be concealed. If not concealing, bump up to the 4" barrel.
Why don’t you like sig?

Unfortunately the CZ 01 does not come here... we do have CZ dealer. Really good shop, support and warranty... same with sig

There is a beautiful 686+ 3” right now in the shop and a 627 performance center 2.75”...
Old October 27, 2017, 04:40 PM   #55
Bachá

Quote:

I had never seen a conversion kit until recently...

A .22 conversion kit for Beretta 92... it feets all 92 series variants which is nice. I learned that legally, the conversion kit is a firearm, so it requires registration and occupies a slot in your license. We have 3 slots per license, unlimited licenses but you have to pay for each one.
Old October 27, 2017, 04:59 PM   #56
johnwilliamson062

If it takes a slot I recommend you avoid conversions. Just get dedicated arms. Most of the time people just use one option in the conversion.
Old October 27, 2017, 05:24 PM   #57
Bachá

Quote:
If it takes a slot I recommend you avoid conversions. Just get dedicated arms. Most of the time people just use one option in the conversion.
Thanks...

Yeah, I see no point in a conversion kit with our laws and prices. It costs almost as much as a dedicated .22 and it takes a slot in the carry license.

The only use I would see is if you absolutely love Beretta platform and like to train with it, or train somebody else in the use of the beretta manual of arms.
Old October 27, 2017, 07:50 PM   #58
jimjc

CZ
Old November 4, 2017, 06:56 AM   #59
Kevster

If I were limited to six handguns I would go for a combination of essentials and classics. (1) a .22 semi automatic like a buckmark, (2) a.22 revolver probably a ruger (3) a quality .38 or .357 revolver probably S&W, (4) a 1911 or high power, (5) a modern service pistol similar to what my nation's military or police use, and (6) a concealable pistol.
Old November 4, 2017, 08:11 AM   #60
Bachá

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevster View Post
If I were limited to six handguns I would go for a combination of essentials and classics. (1) a .22 semi automatic like a buckmark, (2) a.22 revolver probably a ruger (3) a quality .38 or .357 revolver probably S&W, (4) a 1911 or high power, (5) a modern service pistol similar to what my nation's military or police use, and (6) a concealable pistol.
Great advice... thanks...

The Police here use Beretta and Glock... so 5 and 6 I could achieve with a G19... damn it, so much going for the 19 but I dont want it :-D

I just put together all my paper work. Spent almost $30 just in what I have to present at the store...
Old November 5, 2017, 01:18 AM   #61
raimius

CZ and S&W both make Glock 19 sized pistols.