The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 31, 2018, 10:38 PM   #1
kymasabe

AR sling mount locations ??

Building two AR's, and have questions about where to mount the sling. I'm running 2 point QD slings. And I have the option of no QD on the buttstock, can use a loop if better choice. So, one AR had QD mount on the side of the butt, other will have to be loop only. I think I read once that Kyle Lamp at Viking Tactical likes to run the back of his sling looped over the top of his buttstock, cant' remember why, and seems like would interfere with cheek weld. Front, I'm going to have to add M-LOK adapters for the QD sling, just don't know where to mount them (on side? under rail?) I DO loop my sling around my arm when shooting, so am leaking towards putting my sling mount under the handguard, unless someone has a better suggestion.
Old June 1, 2018, 12:38 AM   #2
lordmorgul

Right or wrong I run mine over shoulder and around far side of stock (outboard away from cheek). When hanging over shoulder across chest this seems most natural and not in the way during shooting.

Front is mounted on side as far forward as possible. When using sling wrapped around forearm this provides more leverage then mounting close to magwell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, SAF / CRPA / FPC member and supporter, USCCA Member
Old June 1, 2018, 06:09 AM   #3
Mobuck

Sling location/mount preference is a personal thing. How/where you attach the sling may depend on whether you actually carry the rifle(on the sling) in the field or the sling is for appearance/range use only.
I carry my EDC AR far more than I shoot it so comfort is more important than looks. With this in mind, my slings are attached on the side QA point(if available)on the butt and 10 o'clock (butt on shoulder looking toward the muzzle)position of the handguard. I have found some attachments on the butt do cause interference when cheeking the stock but again, the comfort/convenience of carry outweighs the minimal adverse effect.
Old June 1, 2018, 06:29 AM   #4
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobuck
Sling location/mount preference is a personal thing. How/where you attach the sling may depend on whether you actually carry the rifle(on the sling) in the field or the sling is for appearance/range use only.
Indeed, use should determine placement.

I like QD mounts at both ends. I can detach the butt end to make a ching sling or just to get more length to sling up in prone.

In front, I like a QD mount at 6 o'clock maybe five inches ahead of the magwell; it functions as a handstop while standing. However, I also have another QD mount at 9 o'clock out at the muzzle for carrying everything to the line in one trip.

A QD mount at both ends may increase the range of slings you can use.
Old June 1, 2018, 06:57 PM   #5
MTT TL

On the front I normally put mine on the non ejecting side a few inches forward of the receiver for any gun that I use for defensive purposes. If the gun is a bench gun I most often put it in the original sling loop location.

On the stock It normally comes out the non-firing side as well.

For me this allows the gun to lay flat against my body, muzzle at slight list when I am not holding it.
Old June 2, 2018, 08:36 AM   #6
Nathan

My experience must be a little different.

I have messed with this quite a bit on my AR's and hunting shotgun. First, like most, I mount both sides on the side facing me, but I have tried the opposite on the rear....I need to work with that more. It holds the gun in tighter a bit, but requires some care in manipulation.

I find farther out toward the ends is better for control, or shooting aid. In closer to the receiver is better for speed of manipulation.

My latest pistol has the brace end close to the receiver and the front. It holds the gun high on me and works well as a shooting aid ..I like that on my pistol.

On my Carbine, both attachments are close to the receiver.
Old June 2, 2018, 01:54 PM   #7
Bartholomew Roberts

I use a Magpul MS3, and I make frequent use of the single-point sling option and the quick adjust on the two-point. For me, I like the rear attachment point to be by the castle nut (I use this mount on some rifles: https://troyind.com/products/oem-sling-mount-fde). That provides a solid attachment point that works well in single point use.

I use a QD mount that attaches to the rail right in front of the upper receiver for the front attachment point. This gives me maximum adjustment range when using it as a two point. Another QD mount at the front of the rail lets me use it like a more traditional two point sling with a quick swap.

All my mounts are on the offside at 90 degrees to top. The socket mounts are less obtrusive but the alligator clip on front makes it easier and more convenient to use when combined with magpul loop mounts.