The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 7, 2018, 11:26 PM   #1
'88Scrat

SKS Shopping

I realize this topic has been beat to death several times over but I figure new input is always informative.

I consider myself a pattern collector and I have accumulated a fairly nice collection of milsurp rifles over the years; Type 99 Arisaka, Eddystone M1917, a couple M1 Garands, a Finnish M39, and No.4 mk1 just to name a few. But despite having all these cool military rifles I somehow skipped the SKS pattern rifle, and I increasingly can't help but notice there is an SKS shaped hole in my collection.

I don't know a lot about them or more specifically what to look for when shopping for one. I know the basic kinds someone is likely to run into such as a Chines Norinco or a Yugo M59/66 but that is pretty much where my knowledge ends.

For the purposes of completing my collection I would lean towards a Russian one. For something to actually do some shooting with either a Norinco or Yugo. Perhaps a Russian one and a shooter, we'll see.

Thoughts/shopping advice?
Old June 8, 2018, 01:51 AM   #2
kozak6

Try to do some research and learn some markings. You might be able to get a deal on Sino-Soviet, find something mislabled, find a Chinese "ghost" gun, or be able to spot something weird like an Albanian.

A Chinese SKS is probably going to be cheapest for a shooter. I got one for $275 in 2016, so there are still some deals out there. Chinese SKS's also have chromed bores, whereas Yugos do not.
Old June 8, 2018, 07:15 AM   #3
RUT

>> I got one for $275 in 2016<<

But you'd be lucky to find one for that price today.
Old June 8, 2018, 09:01 AM   #4
highpower3006

Your right about the price increase, I picked up one a month ago and it cost me $295.
Old June 10, 2018, 01:08 PM   #5
Fishbed77

Quote:
But you'd be lucky to find one for that price today.
You were lucky to even find one for that price in 2016.