The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 8, 2024, 10:10 PM   #1
Zeroed

Is this Doable ?

I want to convert a Rem 700ml, original model, not the ultimate model,
to use 209 primers.

Can't I mill a new breech plug with the same perimeters of the #11 plug but with a pocket for the 209 primers?

Wouldn't that work to replace the #11 plug? And would it work without additional alteration?

Has anyone done this before?

Or would I "have to" buy the aftermarket 209 conversion kit?

Thanks
Old March 9, 2024, 09:18 PM   #2
5whiskey

I suspect buying the aftermarket kit will be less expensive and less of a headache than milling a new breach plug. This is without doing any research in the matter. That unless you have a lathe yourself.

Edit: OK I just did about 5 minutes worth of reading to understand the design and it sounds like the main reason to convert to 209 primers is end the "blowback" from fouling the action. This requires a replacement bolt nose in addition to the breech plug.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946

Last edited by 5whiskey; March 9, 2024 at 09:33 PM.
Old March 11, 2024, 08:56 PM   #3
Zeroed

I appreciate the info, I've also read a "lot" on it. But was wondering how T/C Encores get around it?
T/C Encores do not use a bolt nose to prevent the blowback. So that's why I was thinking I could turn a new breech plug for 209 primers. I have a friend with a cnc machine so that's not the problem, but there's got to be something else that I'm missing on it?
IF and I say if lightly, but if the bolt holds the primer in place tightly and doesn't "give" during the shot, there should only be a minimum amount of blowback getting around the primer, such as with current Encore, CVC muzzleloaders. Or so you'd think.
I guess it's going to be a trial-and-error thing for a while. Not that it matters that much to accept the way it is, but more like, there's got to be a better way.

But I guess if it was that easy, then that would be the cure for it, and apparently it isn't the case.
Old March 11, 2024, 10:03 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

According to this article the 700ML should come with a convertible breech plug, so what you want to do is certainly doable. However, take note of the summation toward the end:

Quote:
The 3-way ignition (#11 caps, musket caps, and 209 primers) breechplug comes with a 209 shotshell primer nipple installed. Unfortunately, the blow back with 209 primers is fierce, the worst I have encountered. This is due to large vents that surround the primer. And the 209 primers stick in the 700ML after virtually every shot. Included with your new Remington is a green handled primer pick, so you can pry out the spent primers.

The supplied weather shroud is a tube that fits over the end of the bolt, then ensconces the primer nipple. Currently, the Remington WebSite states "NOTE: The Model 700 ML Weather Shroud is not intended for use with 209 primers." This information has not yet filtered into the instruction manual (!), but it is good advice. Firing the rifle with the weather shroud in place directs most to the gas right into your face. If you must shoot a Remington 700ML / MLS with the weather shroud in place, the #11 cap ignition is the least painful option.

A 700 MLS was test fired for this article. With the feel of flaming sand impregnating itself into my face, this gun truly is a pain to shoot. It kicks like a mule, is decidedly muzzle heavy, and the barreled action is poorly fitted to the molded stock.
Emphasis added.
Jeepaholic