The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 12, 2012, 11:36 AM   #1
BfloBill

Ugly Lever Action

I never really considered myself a traditionalist and I always thought the tactical look and design had its place, but I found this Mossberg to be downright OFFENSIVE. No pun intended, it actually made me mad when I saw it and I consider it a disgusting abhorrition of one of the most iconic designs in the history of firearms.
Am I overreacting, or does this offend you too?

http://www.mossberg.com/products/rif...ssberg-464-spx
Old December 12, 2012, 12:10 PM   #2
JimDandy

Offend, no. Make me snicker, yeah.
Old December 12, 2012, 12:28 PM   #3
KMAX

That has got to be a joke! It is not real is it. Not funny!

Told the wife that was the next gun I wanted. She said "Uuggh." I then seriously told her that if anyone brought one to my house not to let them in. Might be good to carry in the Yugo (car).

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old December 12, 2012, 12:31 PM   #4
Picher

I agree it's a travesty. The only thing that would make it worse is if it had a big AK-type, detachable magazine.
Old December 12, 2012, 12:32 PM   #5
L_Killkenny

Been under a rock for a year or so? This same thread pops up about once a month seems like. I'm not offended by it but show up at my place with one and you might not get invited back. I don't like being around people with a severe lack of judgement.
Old December 12, 2012, 12:59 PM   #6
BfloBill

I have seen people try to make a tactical gun out of lever actions and I have seen threads based on that, but I brought it up because it was featured in this month's American Rifleman and I haven't seen a company offer one like that before.
Are you suggesting that the Editors of a major publication have been living under a rock too? Because they seem to think its worth talking about.
Old December 12, 2012, 12:59 PM   #7
gak

In the fugly contest, ranks right up there with the Winchester 1887 shotgun (with beauties like the 66, 73, 76 and 86 etc on his recent resume, what was Oliver W thinking?) and a recent (year?) Rossi I can't quite place.
Old December 12, 2012, 01:02 PM   #8
twobit

Let us hope they don't do it to the iconic single action Peacemaker next.
Old December 12, 2012, 02:55 PM   #9
gaseousclay

for some reason I envision some fat, sweaty mall cop in his tacticool gear sporting one of these
Old December 12, 2012, 03:09 PM   #10
JimDandy

To be honest, I could see it showing up in a Jean-Claude Van Damme or Steven Segal movie. If either of those guys still made movies. I can see the trailer now... Steven Segal.. part indian, recruited to the CIA he now can't stand during a period abroad, studying martial arts in Japan- now returning back to his boyhood home on the (insert Reservation here) to defend his people against some far-fetched land-baron partnered up with the CIA for some sort of environmentally unfriendly money making scheme that's poisoning his people.
Old December 12, 2012, 03:14 PM   #11
m&p45acp10+1

I have seen one at the LGS. It was on the shelf for a couple of weeks then someone bought it. They have not put out another one though.

To each their own. If someone wants steam punk cowboy tactical there is a rifle for them.
Old December 12, 2012, 03:17 PM   #12
Scorch

Quote:
I found this Mossberg to be downright OFFENSIVE
All I can say is get over it. It's just stuff. If that bothers you, don't even bother looking at the news, or watching TV, or a movie, or take a vacation, or go out for a meal, etc, etc.
Old December 12, 2012, 03:28 PM   #13
Slopemeno

I think Mossberg is missing the boat here. With real Model 94's fetching outrageous prices they should make a no-frills wood stocked 20" rifle and sell it for a reasonable price.

Anybody know who/where the receivers are made?
Old December 12, 2012, 03:39 PM   #14
jmortimer

^ They do, 464 .30-30. I like it and I am in the tiny minority as I actually like the Tactical 464 .30-30. Different strokes.
Old December 12, 2012, 05:13 PM   #15
dgludwig

Quote:
Quote:
I found this Mossberg to be downright OFFENSIVE

All I can say is get over it. It's just stuff. If that bothers you, don't even bother looking at the news, or watching TV, or a movie, or take a vacation, or go out for a meal, etc, etc.
Yep-each to his own. Tastes are subjective in nature. I'm "old school" enough to not like the looks of a Browning BLR rifle. But what I like or dislike should mean nothing to the guy with an opposing viewpoint. It's a privilege that we have so many guns to choose from in this great country of ours. I can honestly say that I've never been "offended" by the mere appearance of any firearm-though the looks of that Mossberg did make me sort of flinch.
Old December 12, 2012, 05:27 PM   #16
Woody55

The potential for greater ugliness through adding more toys is awesome. My wife says things like this are "cheesey".
Old December 12, 2012, 06:13 PM   #17
scrubcedar

Uh, Um, John Wayne, rolling, grave, I, uh, wow......I'm sorry, I am well and truly speechless.
Old December 12, 2012, 06:15 PM   #18
Geezerbiker

Maybe I'm odd but I thought it was funny. I wouldn't buy one but it was good for a chuckle...

Tony
Old December 12, 2012, 07:29 PM   #19
coyota1

The lever action was cutting edge "tactical" stuff in 1865. There must have been traditional folks that had trouble swallowing a lever repeater in place of a flintlock rifle. I'd bet the house that the word "tactical" wasn't a buzz word back then as it is now, but it was designed for rapid fire anti personal use. It's still not an out dated concept 150 years later.
Old December 12, 2012, 08:20 PM   #20
tahunua001

yes you are overreacting...especially since there is already a mossberg bashing thread that's been active for a couple weeks now with little sign of slowing.
Old December 12, 2012, 08:36 PM   #21
boattale

None of that tactical stuff blows my dress up very high. AR, AK, FN, 870's dolled up, Mossbergs dolled up. All the same to me. Ugly, black and best suited for the military or the police. Which, thank the Good Lord, now I am neither.
Old December 12, 2012, 08:45 PM   #22
ltc444

Ugly yes but how does it shoot?

The same thing was said about laminated stocks and later the early fiberglass stocks which morphed into our modern stocks and are standard fare now.

I don't care for its appearance, but it appears to be potentially a very functional and durable gun for a survival situation.

Will I buy one no.
Old December 12, 2012, 08:52 PM   #23
1stmar

I think they got the clambering wrong. If its meant to be a tactical rifle while 30-30? 44mag or some other short stroke cartridge. 30/30 is not exactly a long cartridge but what problem are solving with it that the shorter 44 mag wouldn't solve. It's not meant to win a beauty contest, plenty of people use levers as home defense guns, they are fine for that but if you are building specifically to that market, do it right. More rounds, shorter stroke, less recoil, faster follow ups.
Old December 12, 2012, 11:40 PM   #24
alex0535

There is already a thread on the first page about how ugly this gun is.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506680

And yes it is terrible.
Old December 12, 2012, 11:54 PM   #25
tahunua001

Quote:
I think they got the clambering wrong. If its meant to be a tactical rifle while 30-30?
it's tube magazine fed. there aren't a whole lot of options available in such a design and 30-30 has almost identical ballistics characteristics as the 7.62x39mm, a cartridge that has been used in 3 of the worlds most popular military arms families in the world. the SKS, AK47, and VZ58(though not nearly as widespread as the others). why wouldn't they use such a cartridge?

now if they would have updated to a box mag then they would have been able to offer in more popular calibers for the mall ninja crowd like 5.56, 308, or 6.8SPC. however they stuck with classic. the only real difference between this gun and any other "less ugly" lever action is the stock.