The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 1, 2008, 07:04 PM   #1
Adrian

M14/M1A muzzle brakes

I'm collecting parts to have an M14 built soon. Living in California means that flash suppressors are illegal on anything with a removable magazine, so I'm trying to decide between getting a muzzle brake (in particular, the Smith Enterprises Navy brake) and just putting on a barrel weight ("dummy suppressor").

I like the general idea of the muzzle brake but I'm told that brakes (in general) are also very loud, enough to be counterproductive without really heavy hearing protection. The Smith brake is very impressive in the video, and it doesn't sound much louder than any other .308 I've heard, but it's hard to tell. I'd like to be able to take the rifle hunting, if that makes a difference, though it'll probably spend most of its time on a range.

Which do you think would be better (should I just get both)? Would anyone out there like to share any experience with the SEI brake?
Matt.25:40

Last edited by Adrian; December 2, 2008 at 06:32 PM. Reason: I nitpick my own grammar!
Old December 2, 2008, 05:38 PM   #2
Adrian

Bumping in hopes of some opinions... anybody?
Old December 2, 2008, 05:55 PM   #3
SR420

The M14 US Coast Guard / Navy Muzzle Brake from SEI is as good as it gets!

It has the correct expansion chamber and is the most effective M14 brake available.
Old December 2, 2008, 06:12 PM   #4
Bond007

My M1A Scout has a muzzle break and it is loud, but not so much so that it has every bothered me no matter how light of hearing protection I use. That said, I always use hearing protection, but even regular old foam ear plugs do a good enough job outdoors.

I've also read somewhere that there is some accuracy to be gained by the muzzle break, although don't take my word for it.

Good luck!
Old December 2, 2008, 06:28 PM   #5
Mannlicher

thank God I don't live in California.

The Navy brake is about as good as you can get though.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old December 2, 2008, 10:59 PM   #6
Adrian

Thanks everyone! I was leaning towards the Navy brake just from what I've seen and read from it, so now I'm one part further down my list. If everything goes right I should be finished about a week into the new year ("ban insurance" I call it). Cross your fingers for me!

Tags
m14 , m1a , muzzle brake , sei