The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 17, 2006, 10:08 AM   #1
kenneth owens

best accuracy load model 700??

I normally just shoot pistols and rifles. I think I will start shooting my rem 700
a little more. I have many bullets to choose from hornady,shock wave(thompson), triple seven powder also will be using sabot.from past shooting trips to the range it seems to be very accurate! whats your favorite accuracy load??? I am sure this also has been
ask,is there a break-in period for this barrel?? its a 50 caliber.
thanks, kenneth
Old August 17, 2006, 10:34 AM   #2
Wild Bill Bucks

Kenneth,

You won't shoot your muzzleloader fast enough to worry about a break-in. It will break itself in, as you will be cleaning between shots. The most accuracy will be over a clean barrel every time you shoot.

My load, 50 caliber Thompson Encore, 240 grain .44 magnum Hornady pistol bullet (Jacketed HP) 100 grains of 777 pellets, Thompson Maxi Sabots(black).

I store my rifle after cleaning by putting Bore Butter in the barrel.
Before going to the range, or hunting, I completely remove the bore butter from the barrel, ( I mean completely) and give it a swab of rem oil, then swab with a dry patch to remove any oil left in barrel. I pop ONE primer on an empty barrel to make sure all the oil is out of my combustion plug, and the rifle is ready to load. I clean out by running a mouth moistened patch down the barrel followed by a dry patch before reloading. 777 powder doesn't require as much clean out as Pyrodex or BP, and does not leave the gritty residue either.

If you are going to shoot sabots, use rem oil, and not bore butter. For some reason the bore butter makes my groups open up, if I don't get it out of the riflings. The Rem Oil doesn't seem to be as hard to get out, and doesn't effect my groups. If you choose to use Black Powder, stay away from the Rem Oil, as mixing oil with Black Powder will cause it to turn corrosive.
Old August 17, 2006, 08:47 PM   #3
P-990

My best groups have also come with the Thompson/Center 240gr Mag Express sabot/bullet combination. My rifle is also a T/C Encore.

So far my best group is 3 shots through one ragged hole at 50-yards, with 110gr of loose Pyrodex RS and a 209 primer. I was impressed.

My cleaning routine is a patch of T/C 13, a dry patch, and a patch lightly lubed with T/C Bore Butter. (I usually get two passes out of one patch of the BB.) My groups have shrunk considerably since I've gone to loose powder and the Bore Butter routine, versus shooting a dry bore.

Experiment! Something is bound to work better for you than any other method. And good luck!