The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 5, 2005, 12:03 PM   #1
kingudaroad

working up a load

I'm working up a hunting load for 44 mag. I've worked up 5 different powder weights. To find the most accurate load and to compensate for my own mistakes I've been measuring the best 7 out of 10 shots to measure my groupings. Is this a fair way to do this or are there better methods.
Old September 5, 2005, 08:52 PM   #2
smedley

Are you able to call your "mistakes?" If so then measure the ones that are "clean" shots. It's those 3 out of the ten that you need to make sure are not because of the load, flyers, and are actually booboos. I usually shoot 3 5-round groups of the same load to get a better feel for the best accuracy. It takes more time and of course more money but it works best for me.
Sometimes a different primer will pull in a group. A tighter crimp can make a difference too.
There is another thread going on with "pet" 44mag loads that may help you out too.

Smedley

Pop em in at the bench and blast em out down the tube