The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 18, 2013, 07:40 PM   #1
BoogieMan

S&W Slug barrel

I have an older S&W 1000 12ga 3" SA shotgun that shoots steel and buckshot great. Problem is that im in NJ and I want to shoot slugs from it. Does or did anyone make a rifled slug barrel for this gun? What do I need to look for and where can I find them?
Idealy I would like to set it up with a red dot or a fixed 4x scope and see what I can do to the herd this fall.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old August 19, 2013, 11:08 AM   #2
BigD_in_FL

You can shoot the standard slugs from your smoothbore barrel just fine. Sabots need the rifled barrel
Old August 19, 2013, 11:41 AM   #3
BoogieMan

I may try that. I hear accuracy is spotty at best, not to mention the shotgun sights.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old August 19, 2013, 11:51 AM   #4
g.willikers

Awhile back, running out of ways to entertain ourselves at the range, some friends and I tested a few shotguns with slugs.
One was a popular brand 12 gauge, with two barrels - a rifled barrel with sights and a longish barrel with rib and fixed modified choke.
Out to 50 yards the rifled barrel, with a couple of types of sabots, proved no real advantage over the smooth barrel with "Foster" type slugs.
There was a measurable advantage at 75 yds for the rifled barrel version, but not a huge one, once we knew the holdover for the smoothbore.
The smooth barrel was still hitting a target the size of the vitals on a large hog or deer.
Not until we were shooting at 100 yds was there a real difference.
Old August 19, 2013, 12:16 PM   #5
PetahW

IMO, it's best to dance with who brung ya, and wring out your existing smoothbore bbl, since AFAIK S&W never issued one with a rifled bore, and the production numbers for those guns wre too low for an aftermarket RS bbl maker like Hastings to tool up for it.

I've often thought the S&W autoloaders & pumpguns look very close to the Remington 1100 & 870 line to see if a rifled bbl for one of those guns would fit (for/from a Rem 1100, in your case).

If you know anyone with a Rem 1100 (any bbl), I'd give the Rem bbl a try-fit on the S&W; then if the shoe fits, wear it. (rifled bbl's for the Rem 1100 are everywhere)

Old August 19, 2013, 02:12 PM   #6
BoogieMan

Pretty sure the 1100 barrels dont fit the S&W. I am also fairly sure that the Mossburg 1000 barrel is a direct fit. I would like confirmation of that.
The info on the smoothbore slug is hopeful. Gun has a fixed modified choke (probably why it slings buck so nice) so I will grab a box of rifled slugs and see what I can hit. Only thing is that at 50yds I am at the long side of buckshot range.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old August 19, 2013, 07:36 PM   #7
Dfariswheel

The S&W Model 1000 auto and 3000 pump were made in Japan by Howa.

When S&W dropped the guns Mossberg picked them up and sold them for about one year.
Howa also sold the guns under their name for a short time.
All three brand name guns are exactly the same and all parts and barrels interchange.

The Model 3000 was a close, but not exact copy of the Remington 870, few if any parts will interchange.
The Model 1000 semi-auto is not a close copy of the Remington 1100, but it's somewhat similar.

Model 1000 and 3000 barrels will not fit Remington guns.

No rifled barrels were ever made for the Howa/S&W/Mossberg guns.

For shooting slugs, your best option is to use an Improved Cylinder or possibly Modified choke and experiment with a variety of brands of rifled slugs.
You can still buy new and used barrels for the 1000 or just buy an Improved Cylinder choke from LSG.

http://lsgmfg.com/