The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 17, 2013, 03:30 PM   #26
OkieCruffler

I wanna know where folks are hiking that pigs are attacking them. I have to walk thru miles of thick brush to find one and then if he gets wind of me first he hightails it the other direction. FWIW I usually use a 357mag loaded with a cast 158gr SWC but the last one fell to my 30-20 Contender loaded with a 115gr cast bullet at around 1100fps. They ain't exactly water buffs.
Old March 17, 2013, 03:37 PM   #27
Dusty Rivers

hogs- information from the experts

go to this site to learn correct shot placement and everything else about wild hogs. These are expert hog hunters and trappers who know their business. Priceless information here.

http://www.texasboars.com/
Old March 17, 2013, 03:43 PM   #28
Dusty Rivers

head on moving target

Just as a side note, have you ever tried to hit a rabbit coming head on at you at a dead run. it is almost impossible to not shoot over the top of them. A rabbit size target is much bigger than the area you have to hit on a hog. it is better to let the rabbit pass you, turn and shoot. I carry a 44 mag and that is more so i have something solid to beat them with if they knock me down.
Old March 17, 2013, 05:02 PM   #29
North East Redneck

No feral hogs up here in Mass yet, guess someday they will invade. How would you hog hunters feel about using 230 conicals from an ROA or 1858 revolver? The choice of gun may not be your thing, but I'm curious about the stopping power of these used on a hog.
Old March 17, 2013, 07:18 PM   #30
justplainpossum

My neighbor was going through his field in an atv and a boar came charging out of the woods and rammed him, so I wouldn't count on them always running away.

This is more of a leisurely stroll than a charge, but here are some of the wild pigs hanging out on my place:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t3Ev...YvdrQ&index=13
Old March 17, 2013, 07:28 PM   #31
psyfly

I gotta side with okiecruffler: I killed a few hogs a long time ago back when I was a kid. Used either a .22lr or a 30-30 (just what I happened to have).

JPP: was your neighbor harmed, or did the pig just run away after the collision?

Only person I ever heard of being harmed by a hog got cut while he was trying to let one out of a trap.

Javelina, now, that's a different story. I've had a couple of friends get cut up by them and I've spent a couple hours in a tree waiting for them to disperse...

Also back when I was a kid.

I wouldn't worry much about a hog attack while hiking.

W.
Old March 17, 2013, 07:45 PM   #32
dahermit

Quote:
...If you are a good shot with that 1911...
And are a good shot while running, shooting over your shoulder...
Old March 17, 2013, 09:17 PM   #33
Pomeroy

Timb, You asked for something light that has good penetration. You might look at the lightweight S&W revolvers such as the 329PD in 44 Magnum. It is light as a feather and powerful enough to do what needs to be done. It kicks like a mule, but you will not notice the recoil if you have to use it in a dangerous situation. I carry one in the woods all the time and shoot it often at the range with reduced loads.
Old March 17, 2013, 09:26 PM   #34
Deaf Smith

Quote:
I currently use a 1911 45 cal five inch barrel, but this weighs about 3.5 lbs including holster & extra mag. Is there something lighter to carry and still have penetration to stop a 300 lb hog?
S&W makes Scandium .41 and .44 magnum revolvers. They are far lighter than a 1911 and penetrate more than a .45.

Catch is... they kick like heck.

Deaf
Old March 17, 2013, 09:30 PM   #35
TimSr

Quote:
I wanna know where folks are hiking that pigs are attacking them.

LOL! That was the first thing I thought about when i saw this thread! I've never in my life ever heard of a wild hog attack. I've had bears hanging around wating for me to leave my grub unprotected, or sighted mt lions and felt better wearing my .454 Casull which I use to hunt bear, deer, and hogs, but never had fear of a hog attack unless he was already shot him once, and he had nowhere to run except through somebody.
Old March 17, 2013, 10:14 PM   #36
justplainpossum

But what if you walked right into a bunch of them, Tim and Okie? My neighbor and I have separately found ourselves within a few feet of wild pigs on quite a few occasions. The pigs didn't charge us, not even the sows with babies, but I don't know if it's because it's not in their nature to attack when they can run, or because she and I both got lucky. I don't want to invent a threat where there is none, but I don't really want to end up like Timothy Treadwell, either, believing "the pigs won't hurt me" right until one chomps down on my leg.

Last edited by justplainpossum; March 17, 2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old March 17, 2013, 10:33 PM   #37
edporch

I would carry a Glock 20 (10mm).
High capacity (15 round mags), powerful enough and more compact than a revolver.
Old March 17, 2013, 10:57 PM   #38
OkieCruffler

Well if you were to walk right in the middle of attacking hogs I guess you'd need something along the lines of a 20mm, or perhaps some way to call down a surgical nuclear strike. But at least you'd also be prepared for robot zombie bears riding on giant spiders.
Old March 17, 2013, 11:09 PM   #39
justplainpossum

Well, can't say that was real helpful, but okay.
Old March 18, 2013, 06:55 AM   #40
TimSr

Quote:
My neighbor and I have separately found ourselves within a few feet of wild pigs on quite a few occasions.
I'll admit I have no experience with Texas hogs, but when it comes to central Ca. hogs, and Ohio hogs, you have about as much of walking into the middle of a group of them as walking into the middle of a herd of deer. They smell or hear you coming a long ways off, and are long gone before you get there. They are a very wary animal here, and difficult to hunt, even for the skilled. Maybe you live in an area where people feed them and they don't get shot at, making them act like "park deer" or something, or maybe the general population of Texas hogs has developed a lessor fear of humans in general. I've just not heard of it.
Old March 18, 2013, 08:15 AM   #41
2000ShadowACE

Back when we lived on the farm we would kill a hog with a .22lr. A shot to the back of the head would drop them right where they stood. The front of the skull is about an inch thick, but the back part is no thicker than a humans. That being said, I have killed wild hogs with my .357 at twenty yards from a tree stand and they have always dropped within a few yards of where they were shot. That armor plate is tough, but if you use non-expanding slugs you should be able to shoot right through it at pistol range.
Old March 18, 2013, 08:52 AM   #42
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
My neighbor was going through his field in an atv and a boar came charging out of the woods and rammed him, so I wouldn't count on them always running away.
I would not count on them running away either, but attacks on people not hunting hogs currently seems less common than attack on people by mountain lions, wolves, or deer. With very rare exception, "attacks" by feral hogs are almost exclusively by cornered, trapped, pursued/hunted hogs that are in the process of defending themselves. Even then, many of the "attacks" are the hog's attempt to escape and essentially running through the human in order to get to freedom.
http://feralhogs.tamu.edu/frequently...ons-wild-pigs/

Examples of "attacks" that really aren't attacks such much as they are hogs trying not to be harmed by humans...
http://www.khou.com/news/Texas-man-a...125490018.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og5rKt9VYX0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOG_1OAZvDk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XshTpBCjQAA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mizAHTt-iBk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjIztYx6l2g

So if you don't do these things, and as seen in some of the vids, don't do these things stupidly (in manners that allow the hog access to you), then you aren't likely to get "attacked" and if "attacked" then not likely to get hurt.

Quote:
I don't want to invent a threat where there is none, but I don't really want to end up like Timothy Treadwell, either, believing "the pigs won't hurt me" right until one chomps down on my leg.
If you don't want to be the Timothy Treadwell of the hog world, then don't glue corn on your body with maple syrup and trap yourself with them. Treadwell camped unarmed with food and his girlfriend on a game trail in grizzly country and thought he was above being attacked. He went out of his way to prove how safe grizzlies were by doing stupid things and he was proven wrong. Don't do that!

Any animal you pursue can be dangerous. Any animal you try to harm can be dangerous. Any animal you startle or scare can be dangerous. Hogs can harm people, but if you aren't trying to harm or threaten the hog in some manner, the chance of the hog trying to harm you is extremely tiny. It can and has happened, but on the risk scale of what could happen to you while backpacking as the OP indicated, feral hog attack would be very low on my list of concerns behind things like coyote, raccoon, deer, and bird attacks.
Old March 18, 2013, 09:20 AM   #43
arch308

I have been charged a few times while hunting on the ground. It seems to me that they are just running and I got in the way. I don't think they see that well and when panicked just run. Head shots are best but difficult when they are running as they are pretty darn quick, suprisingly so.
Old March 18, 2013, 09:20 AM   #44
jglsprings

Feral hogs, the bear thread of the new millennium.

Commas save lives...
Old March 18, 2013, 10:19 AM   #45
Txpitdog

Re: Feral hog protection while backpacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglsprings View Post
Feral hogs, the bear thread of the new millennium.

Exactly. One day we'll be able to just start a thread with a title "I want a new gun because I want a new gun" instead 5 pages of pseudo defense oriented comments that always degrade into whether a 10mm is better than a 357mag. It's okay to just buy a new gun because you want to.
Old March 18, 2013, 10:49 AM   #46
OkieCruffler

Quote:
It's okay to just buy a new gun because you want to.
Tell that to my wife.
Old March 18, 2013, 11:37 AM   #47
Skitter

I'm planning on going hunting this year, first year in Texas. For protection from most things I am going to keep my Stoeger .40 with me, from what I have read I should be able to stop a pig with a good shot.

My Question is Hydroshocks or normal JHP's? I am still learning ammo type to purpose match up and I believe FMJ are purely target loads.
Old March 18, 2013, 12:05 PM   #48
justplainpossum

Tim, some days around here it's hard NOT to walk into the middle of them. I went outside my house at 11pm last month to go to my truck, and they were all in my FRONT YARD. And I live in the country; we don't "feed" pigs, and yes, we do shoot them, and they don't really care. They are EVERYWHERE. My neighbor was checking on a hurt calf one night, and all of a sudden the place erupted with pigs around her. I don't even bother with a lawn, because they come out and destroy it. They don't have much fear of people, or getting shot at (since they come back to the same place the next day) and Texas has about 3 million of them.

Thank you, Double Naught Spy, for the videos and all the info, I appreciate it.
Old March 18, 2013, 01:10 PM   #49
jrz_dad

my old Llama 1911 45acp works just fine for this purpose...there are lots of other choices but for me, this works best
Old March 18, 2013, 02:17 PM   #50
sandbag

Glock With Aftermarket Barrel

A Glock 20SF with a 10 round mag(if you want to save a little weight) and a Lone Wolf or other aftermarket barrel that can fire lead rounds may be the answer.You can get some good commercial loads from Buffalo Bore or Double Tap or other sources that can serve the purpose you want.