The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 29, 2008, 07:07 PM   #1
mikenbarb

Reloading for 38-40, Is it still a popular cartridge?

I have acquired alot of Ideal hand loading tools(310 type with mold) and swaging dies for 38-40 cartridges and im wondering if its a cartridge thats still used alot and reloaded for. I dont see that much info on the 38-40 and wondering if I should keep this stuff or sell it.
Old July 29, 2008, 07:27 PM   #2
CraigC

It's a great old cartridge. It was the original FBI 10mm. Shot flatter than the .44-40 and hit just as hard with less recoil. Dustin Linebaugh has done some recent work with it. Building oversized six shot, linebored cylinders with minimum chamber specs. His site is down but I believe he's getting 1600fps with 180gr jacketed bullets. I also load for it in my Ruger Buckeye convertible. Went so far as to get a Corbin canneluring tool for use with 10mm/.40S&W jacketed pills. Just haven't got around to doing the full wring out with it. I'd also love to have a SAA or custom Old Model Blackhawk in the caliber. Seems to be fairly popular with the CAS crowd as well.

Starline makes the best brass for it.
Old July 29, 2008, 07:44 PM   #3
Hawg

Like Craig said it's pretty popular with the CAS crowd. Expensive to buy factory loads for.
Old July 29, 2008, 09:24 PM   #4
Loader9

I've got a first generation Colt SAA that is in 38-40. I don't push it very hard because it's old like me. I'm loading 8.0 grs Unique with a 180gr XTP that I put the cannelure on with a CH tool. I've also got the Winchester reloading tool for it but I've never tried using it. RCBS is too convenient and better. If you don't have a 38-40, it's a dandy round and a fun one to plink with.