The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 26, 2012, 12:21 PM   #1
TwentyToo

12ga or 20ga?

For an O/U and for upland birds as well as trap? Trap seems to dictate a 12 on sheer volume of pellets. Any opinions or experiences?
Old December 26, 2012, 12:34 PM   #2
chewie146

I have very limited experience with shotgunning, but given that the recoil on 12 ga birdshot isn't bad, unless you're in Argentina hunting 500 birds a day, and the ammo is the same price, I'd go 12 gauge. It's just a more versatile shell. It reminds me of Ron White. "You can take the donkey, or you can take the tram...it is the same price."
Old December 26, 2012, 02:11 PM   #3
Scorch

I sure like my 20 gauge shotguns for upland hunting, they are light, handle well, and kill just as dead as a 12 ga. For trap, that equation changes a little becasue of range and pattern density considerations, but I have seen people do just fine with a 20. Myself, I use a 12 for trap, but I'm a weenie.
Old December 26, 2012, 02:55 PM   #4
BigD_in_FL

This all depends on what type of hunting. If you are walking a little or basically positioned in a field, then the 12 works fine and is the choice for trap, skeet and sporting clays.
If, however, you are doing a lot of walking or climbing of hills, the lighter 20 will prove to be the better choice, as they typically weigh at least a pound less.

My target 12 is 8.5#, my upland 20 is 6.5. Which one do you think I prefer for sporting clays and which one do you think I prefer for upland birds?
Old December 26, 2012, 03:12 PM   #5
TwentyToo

So far you reinforce what I had already guessed - essentially the 12.

My hunting is in the Great Basin and as such is flat which keeps fatigue at a minimum.

Good points on the 20s with weight.

I'll end up getting both I'm sure but will go for the 12 first.

Follow-up: 28" barrel?

Got myself set in a Ruger Red Label. Love the Rugers! Citori a close second.
Old December 26, 2012, 04:57 PM   #6
chewie146

One thing to keep in mind is that many (not all) 20-gauge shotguns are built on 12 gauge frames. The weight savings are minimal. I am, however, a po-boy and only own pumps and single shots. The .410 and 28 gauge are lighter, smaller frames. It seems to depend on the gun company and the design. Have you considered a nice single shot for upland game and trap?
Old December 26, 2012, 05:36 PM   #7
TwentyToo

What are some good single barrels?

I'm definitely interested in function over form but form is what draws me to the O/U so it would have importance.

My budget is flexible but I want to stay under $1500. That includes used in 95/100+ with no rust.
Old December 26, 2012, 09:28 PM   #8
Scorch

Quote:
One thing to keep in mind is that many (not all) 20-gauge shotguns are built on 12 gauge frames.
A few, but not the ones you are looking at. I like the Ruger, but it is nowhere near the quality of the Citori. If they are both comparably priced and equipped, grab the Citori, you will not be sorry.
Old December 27, 2012, 12:10 AM   #9
colbad

I shoot a lightweight browning citori in 20g for quail and dove. It is an absolute joy to shoot and carry and more than enough fire power. I even thought of going down to to 28g.

For trap shooting, if you are doing it for fun it does not matter what you shoot. However, if you are shooting competitively and money is on the line, there is no question that a 12g is your choice. NO ONE shoots anything other than a 12g in competitive trap shooting. I am assuming you know the difference between trap and skeet since some incorrectly use the terms interchangeably. Shooting the small gauge in skeet is fun and goes all the way down to .410 in competitions.

Hard to give you guidance for trap since I do not know if you are just having fun or competitive. You can not hardly get the barrel of a good o/u trap gun for $1500. A good compromise if you are serious about shooting trap is a semi auto (trap grade) in 12g. If you get a trap semi make sure you know if you need to plug the gun for hunting.

Last edited by colbad; December 27, 2012 at 12:21 AM.
Old December 27, 2012, 09:28 AM   #10
TwentyToo

My club has both trap and skeet ranges but I'm going to stick with trap for now. Not really for money - just for fun. I've always been a rifle guy who shot some pistol but I do have an 870 Express for occasional hunting. I'm just looking to step up from the 870 to some "finer" shotgun equipment for trap or hunting.

Expanding the collection and adding good equipment for a start in the shotgun direction. So not high-dollar and not bargain-basement.

So far, sounds to me like I'm looking at a 12ga O/U to fit this bill. Then add a 20ga down the road. I'm tempted by Ruger.

Can anyone suggest a good barrel length? 28 seems to be the general idea. 26 being too short. 30-34 is getting a little long for my taste.

Thanks for all of the feedback!
Old December 27, 2012, 12:13 PM   #11
warbirdlover

I'd take the 12 because you can control the recoil by the load you shoot. I had a Mossberg 875(?) 3-1/2" mag for goose hunting and that was the worst kicking gun I've ever shot. And I've shot a .375 H&H mag Ruger #1. I can shoot my .300 Win mag all day. I got rid of it. I should have kept it and just dropped down to 3" mag shells. 12 gauge trap loads don't kick at all.
Old December 27, 2012, 09:08 PM   #12
BigD_in_FL

The Rugers are discontinued, so parts might be iffy. I had one in 28, it totally sucked and I would never buy another. Went back to Ruger three times for repairs in three months. They could not figure out what was wrong, or how to fix.

Get the Browning with 30" barrels, or a Beretta 68X series with 30" barrels. They will aid your swinging on targets better than shorter barrels.