The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old November 15, 2018, 09:59 AM   #426
Don P

Everybody thinks they know the rules and you as the RO are wrong
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old November 15, 2018, 02:51 PM   #427
1MoreFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by otasan View Post
Bowling pin shooting - don't forget to blacken your sights.
Not just bowling pins. If you aren't shooting in very low light or against black targets I can't recommend sight black enough.

Since I'm an ole timer I remember(but didn't use) carbide lamps. They're the best as far as sight picture is concerned. Sights practically glow after using carbide. However carbide is the messiest stuff around and doesn't really like all the handling needed in practical shooting. There used to be two brands of the spray on sight black and I liked one of the over the other but ole timer's has made me forget which one I liked the best.
Old May 14, 2019, 01:17 AM   #428
Jeff22

I have a Glock 34 with an RMR06 series 2 on it.

I'm about 2,200 rounds into learning how to run a red dot sight on a handgun.

Last weekend I shot an IDPA classifier match with that gun. Wasn't quite as accurate as usual and I could've gone faster on a few strings of fire, but over all I was happy with how it went.

About halfway through the match I realized that I was aiming center-of-mass on the targets and not high in the chest where the A zone is. I'm not sure why that was. I had lots of hits about 6 o'clock low in the center zone with a few rounds over the line.

This was not something I was doing in practice or in the four USPSA matches I have shot with this combination.
Old February 16, 2020, 02:14 AM   #429
Jeff22

In the last month I shot a USPSA classifier match, an IDPA classifier match and regular matches in both disciplines with the G34 with the RMR RDS on it.

I'm getting better at tracking the dot through arc of recoil. I still sometimes find myself aiming center-of-mass on the target rather than higher in the chest where most of the A zone is. I find myself doing that when engaging multiple targets, and transitioning between them. Something to be mindful of in the future.

The dot makes it pretty easy to get precision shots at distance IF I don't bash the trigger.
Old February 16, 2020, 08:06 PM   #430
AzShooter

Don't clean your gun the night before a match. It was working flawlessly and all of a sudden I had 5 jams today while shooting our Steel Challenge Match.

I also learned I can shoot a lot faster and hit much better. It was the best match I've had since coming back to shooting.
Old February 16, 2020, 08:09 PM   #431
langenc

When shooting 22 BR 'encourage' the scoring persons to use a 'plug' on all holes not just the ones they think it is needed.

Ive gained 3 or 4 Xs when I asked em to plug some shots. Why the resistance??
Old February 18, 2020, 10:08 PM   #432
RickB

A guy who drops three times as many points as I did, can still beat me by a second.
Old May 9, 2020, 07:07 AM   #433
stuckinthe60s

the guy who shoots better than you will beat you again.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old May 9, 2020, 03:13 PM   #434
RickB

That it may have been my last match?

Three days after our March 14 match, the range shut down.
I suppose it will reopen during "phase 2" or "phase 3" of our state's return-to-sanity program, but that could be July.
Old April 20, 2021, 05:37 AM   #435
Jeff22

I still have to practice on targets partially obscured by hard over and no shoots at distances of 10 yards and longer and on targets partially obscured by hard cover when shooting string hand only or weak hand only at distances greater than 7 yards.
Old April 22, 2021, 09:19 AM   #436
Jim Watson

1. Read the label.
2. Try before you fly.

I have been working on a STI magazine trade and took what I was offered to the Wednesday Night USPSA yesterday.
A couple of them were tougher to load but I just passed over that... until I went to reload, failed to get one to seat, dropped it, and dropped a lot of shots and time.
The fine print stamp said "10 round" so were too crammed to seat with my normal L10 reload. (Shooting a .45 2011, not good for much else.)

A couple of the regular 12 shot magazines had narrow lips; one so much so I did not use it; the other gave a couple of partial feeds as the 11 round recoil spring would not strip the cartridges.

Now the question is, "tune" them or hand them back?
Old August 7, 2021, 09:32 AM   #437
Seedy Character

Late comer to this party. A few thoughts; MANY different "matches" out there, each containing it's own equipment and requirements. I would like to know what type of match you are shooting and what equipment you use.

I had plans to try bowling pin matches. WuFlu shutdown the matches and permanently closed the range. I would have shot EDC 1911. I have no visions of grandeur thinking I would ever win. I shoot to improve and beat my last outing.

I have shot Cowboy Action. "Specialized" equipment, in the requirement of being "cowboy" guns. Single Action, centerfire. I shoot Ruger Blackhawk, not legal for sanctioned National Match, but I prefer the BH over the Vaquero and I shoot for fun, not NM. A lever action, pistol caliber rifle. Again, I have not modified. Finally, a double barrel (SxS) shotgun or '87 or '97 Win.
The first match i attended, a man walks up ( I later learned he shoots NM and is a self-proclaimed expert that likes to take point out the transgressions of others ). He points out that my BH is not "period authentic" and not usuable in a NM. I responded, " oh, but YOUR stainless .357 is? " Several laughed, he walked off and hasn't spoken to me again.

Trap, skeet, and sporting clays are all informal, fun shoots. Though, a I did shoot in a trap league, several years ago. Again, no specialized equipment. Just my unmodified, hunting shotgun.

Most unusual was Run N Gun. "Training" now, to try this, again. The concept is straightforward. Any centerfire rifle and any centerfire handgun. The "RUN" is either 5k or 10k, sometimes a 20k is offered. There is a match that 50k, I believe in Phoenix. I did the 5k. ( first and only match, I was 61 years old ) The Gun is made up of 5 shooting stations, placed throughout the "Run". Stages will be handgun and or rifle, from 15-500 yards, steel going scored hit or miss, with a 2 minute stage time limit. Round count only limited by stage time and what you carry.
I carried AR, iron sights (only 1 without optics of 125 shooters), 3 - 30 round mags (shot 42 rounds); and 1911 with 51 rounds in mags (shot 21). Finished 61st

My "plan" is to do one "cowboy", carrying 2 Blackhawks (2 stages require more than 6 rounds) and lever action .30-30. (the 500 yard stage requires 2 hits, , others are 35-150 yard) I will be 65 and do it for fun(?).

On a side note, in 2019, an 8-man squad of Marine Special Forces signed up. Their reaoning, they were either shooting or doing physical training, but both together. The 8 finished in the top 20, 3 in top 10, best was 4th. We have some serious competitors, I am not 1 of them.
Old August 12, 2021, 11:16 AM   #438
jcj54

I just learned

how frustrating it is when the organization that runs their national championship does not follow their own rules printed in their own rulebook....
Old December 1, 2021, 04:45 PM   #439
stuckinthe60s

people dont practice and expect to win.
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old January 23, 2022, 01:30 PM   #440
Jeff22

In practicing for a USPSA special classifier match, I did a lot of shooting strong hand only, weak hand only and headshots, all at 10 yards.

That was worthwhile. As usual, I was accurate but not very fast

Last edited by Jeff22; January 23, 2022 at 02:32 PM.
Old March 6, 2022, 06:26 PM   #441
hounddawg

Shot in IBS for score for the first time. It is harder much harder than I thought. Dropped 4 points out of 250 @ 100 and came in dead last in a field of 30 shooters. Humbling does not even begin to describe it.
Old March 12, 2022, 05:17 PM   #442
Jeff22

(1.) When shooting a gun with a Red Dot Sight, sometimes I unconsciously try to go too fast. You don’t need to over confirm the dot, but you should wait for it to settle before breaking the second shot. (2.) in longer courses of fire, like field courses, l sometimes unconsciously relax my grip when shooting long strings. Grip is the forgotten fundamental.
Old March 14, 2022, 08:23 AM   #443
RickB

I can still drop only a point or two across a half-dozen paper targets, but completely miss a popper three times.
Old April 24, 2022, 08:39 AM   #444
Jim Watson

Check the edition.
I THOUGHT yesterday's IDPA was to be under 2017 rules (The MD said he was not going to new rules until May), and so took my sawn off GM for use as a CCP-8, it's swan song as a competitive gun.

Nope, he changed his mind, 2022 book with CCP-10 and CoFs to suit. two rounds short put me into two standing reloads and twice left me with no makeup shots.

If I had known, I would probably have shot SSP-15. I will next time just for fun, then revert to ESP.

I did get good use out of the new Last Round Reload provision, though. That kind of popped eyes among those who had not read up, but soon they were doing it too.