The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 24, 2017, 11:23 AM   #26
SonOfScubaDiver

I thought there would be more choices in grips too, but that isn't the case. Still, I really like my LCR.
Old December 24, 2017, 03:34 PM   #27
Wheel-Gunner

I have been looking at these LCR’s with interest since they were introduced.

Recently I saw an LCRx 3” .38 spec. on sale for $409 plus I had a $50 gift card to use, so I got it for $359 plus tax. I couldn’t resist. I have yet to shoot it.
Old December 27, 2017, 03:44 AM   #28
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Anyone shot the .327 LCR?
I've discussed this elsewhere on the forum but I've done back-to-back shooting across calibers with different models of LCR. Between a few friends, nobody could differentiate the felt recoil between mid-weight .38 +p in the LCR 38 and 85-grain Hydra-Shoks in the LCR 327. Of course, that was "felt recoil". The .327 Federal is noticeably louder than .38 special but so too is .357 magnum. Heavier loads in .327 Federal (such as the surprisingly hot 100-grain American Eagles) start to approach the lighter .357 magnum loads in terms of recoil but still remain more shootable in my opinion.

The LCR is my favorite pocket gun and like Sudo and a few others here, the LCR 327 is my favorite LCR. It offers the best ratio of power to recoil. The extra shot is just icing on the cake.
Old December 31, 2017, 06:50 AM   #29
Carl the Floor Walker

One of my most favorite guns to take to the range is the LCR9mm. As a Pocket gun enthusiast I love shooting short barrel firearms. When the LCR9mm came out, I jumped on it. Horrible shot at first. But I loved the challenge. And I knew it would require a lot of practice and 9mm for me was the answer. I always have thousands of it on hand, reload it and buy in bulk. And I like the ballistics, which continue to improve all the time.
I also wanted the gun to have the well built Stainless steel tank build. No more cheap aluminum on a gun that I get a lot of range time.
It was a perfect caliber for myself. RECOIL IS NOT HARSH BUT ON THE FUN SIDE JUST BEFORE BECOMING UNPLEASANT. I had shot the 357 and for me, it was out of the question. Just way to harsh, actually brutal. I knew I would never get the amount of training in one session that I needed.
I love the Moon clips. Once I start using them, I never looked back. And so much cheaper than speed loaders. I normally load up 40 of these before each range session. Makes range time easy.
Recoil 9mm vs 357
Genitron list the recoil using the 'Standard Recoil" of the 357 around a scale of a whopping 19 vs around 7 for the 9mm. So the recoil is a huge difference. About the same or just a little more than the LC9S semi auto. The 9mm is also much more quiet, and None of the flash of the 357.

I go to the range at least once a week. I wanted to further my competence with the LCR snubbie, so a practical buy was the LCR22. Just received it last week and I have to say, it is just down right fun to shoot. A perfect trainer.

Do not let the internet junk of the 9mm jumps crimp. Yes, at first I had to find out what the gun like and the gun does not like some cheap range ammo. Yet it will have plenty of ammo that is totally reliable. I have not had a crimp jump in thousands of round and my favorite is American Eagle for range time.

Yes, the LCR or Snubbies is a acquired skill and you will have to put in your time training. But once you do, they are very fast and accurate. Easy to carry. And they are just downright fun to shoot. Ruger did this one right.

http://www.genitron.com/Compare-Handguns

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; December 31, 2017 at 06:58 AM.
Old December 31, 2017, 09:11 AM   #30
HighValleyRanch

Did you do your own stippling on those batam grips, and if you did, How?
Look nice!
Old December 31, 2017, 10:09 AM   #31
Carl the Floor Walker

Thanks,It is just grip tape. I buy it buy the sheet. Have found many uses for it. Actually I just cut it by eye, did not spend a lot of time on it thinking it would eventually come off. My LCR9 still has the original and thousands of rounds fired with it on.
Some folks like the gun without the tape and say they feel it draws better. I have not had any problem with drawing and carrying in multiple positions including pocket.
Old December 31, 2017, 07:22 PM   #32
Nakanokalronin

Love my 38spl LCR. It has less recoil and a better trigger than any J-Frame I've owned.

Old January 1, 2018, 06:37 AM   #33
Spats McGee
Staff

I've got an LCR in .357 and it's a great little gun. Into the pocket and off we go. I carry it with .38s, and the recoil is very mild. I bought it with the idea that I could practice with .38s and carry .357s. Then I tried some .357s at the range. I shot a group roughly the size of an Edsel. And while I'm not particularly recoil-sensitive, . . . . I didn't like the .357s at all. So now I both practice and carry with .38s.
Old January 1, 2018, 08:36 AM   #34
Carl the Floor Walker

Just curious, what do you feel is the recoil difference between the standard 38 vs 38 plus P?
Old January 1, 2018, 09:47 AM   #35
SonOfScubaDiver

So....other than no finger grooves, is there much difference between the stock grips and that boot grip from Hogue? I tried Pachmayr's Diamond Pro grips, but I didn't care for them much. They made a big difference on my SP101, but on the LCR they just didn't feel right in my hand.
Old January 1, 2018, 11:29 AM   #36
Nakanokalronin

The boot grips are smaller with plastic side panels so it's much easier to pocket without snagging, however they're just as easy to hold on to and still include the recoil absorption back strap. They're also lighter than the finger groove Hogue grips.
Old January 1, 2018, 01:21 PM   #37
Carl the Floor Walker

As I mentioned above, I went from stock, to Pro Diamond to the Boot grips and never looked back. For myself they actually handle much better. I was surprised at this. I thought for sure the Pro Diamond would be the best. They were better than the stock, but the Boot Grips fit Like a "glove".
Old January 7, 2018, 04:12 PM   #38
Carl the Floor Walker

I have been shooting the heck out of my new LCR22 and having the time of my life. Had no idea it would be so much fun. I have put many different kinds of ammo through it with no problems. What was so interesting was the Aguila Interceptors. Man, they are fun to shoot. Gave the little gun a nice little snap, felt like a 22.mag. You could tell that bullet was sizzling through the gun. When it gets warmer, I hope to take my chrony and see how fast that short barrel works with that ammo.
While I have never even considered the 22.cal for a defense gun, this gun with the interceptor got me to thinking.
1) first of all, I love shooting the gun rapidly with quick 8 rounds of firing.
2) the gun has a nice hammer spring and have not had any light strikes. And the fact that since it is a revolver, even if you did have a bad round, you would instantaneously be on the next shot.
I find the gun easy to shoot. Groups are quickly tightening up. Fast action! I would hate to be on the receiving end of those 8 shots coming at my face.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; January 7, 2018 at 08:11 PM.
Old January 7, 2018, 06:23 PM   #39
SonOfScubaDiver

The boot grips arrived yesterday. I don't like them. They're too small for me. Guess I'll stick with the factory grips.
Old January 7, 2018, 07:22 PM   #40
HighValleyRanch

I've tried a bunch, but these are hands down the favorite solution for me.
I took the longer Hogue grips that come on the 3" LCRX. You can buy them separately, and they are more hand filling and cushioning than the finger groove tamers and softer than the Hogue Bantams. The original is quite long and shaped like Jordan Trooper, but to my taste, they are too long for the LCR and look like turds.

So I cut off about 1/2 inch on the bottom flat, so they are more like stock SW grips and now they are perfect. Just enough to get three finger hold and cushioning enough to shoot the hottest loads. I heated an allen screw (8/32) to red hot and pounded it flat, and then drilled a hole through it for a lanyard loop screw.

I highly recommend these Hogue grips that come on the LCRX! Whether you cut them short or not is up to you, but they are by far the most comfortable that I have found.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04738.JPG (61.2 KB, 434 views)
Old January 7, 2018, 07:41 PM   #41
Nakanokalronin

Quote:
The boot grips arrived yesterday. I don't like them. They're too small for me. Guess I'll stick with the factory grips.
You might want to shoot the LCR with them on first before judging. I thought they would be too small and slip in the hand when I shot it.....until I shot it. Just as easy to hold on to, same recoil absorption and no slip in the hand.
Old January 7, 2018, 08:12 PM   #42
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakanokalronin View Post
You might want to shoot the LCR with them on first before judging. I thought they would be too small and slip in the hand when I shot it.....until I shot it. Just as easy to hold on to, same recoil absorption and no slip in the hand.
I second that. You must shoot it first.
Old January 19, 2018, 06:02 PM   #43
Jayhawkhuntclub

I've shot the airweight Smith & Wesson 44 magnum. And it's not even as bad as the 357 LCR with hot 158 gr loads, IMO.
The LCR is a great gun and crazy accurate for a sub 2" barrel. It also has an awesome trigger.
Old January 20, 2018, 01:30 AM   #44
3Crows

I love my LCR 357. I carry it IWB appendix and also in my fanny pack when I bicycle (bicycle cloths have little room for concealed carry). I have also carried it backpacking for protection against whatever (no griz locales). It also goes with me fishing. It is perfect for those purposes. I would not trade it or think of a better suited weapon for my purposes.

I am glad I got the steel framed 357, it is a bit heavier but it helps with recoil and I do have the choice of the potent 357 round if needed. And anyone who thinks the 357 is not more potent in a snubbie than a 38 needs to chrono some rounds. The 357 hits harder on both ends.
Old January 20, 2018, 09:02 AM   #45
slabside 1911

The biggest and only problem with the LCR is the lack of grip selection.
Old January 20, 2018, 01:11 PM   #46
Carmady

Do any of you guys shoot a lot of lead bullets? My experience with the LCR was it leaded up a whole lot, so I moved it on.
Old January 20, 2018, 04:09 PM   #47
tallball

I'm with HighValley. Adding the LCRx grips makes it a much more shootable revolver. The 357 is less of a problem because it weighs a bit more. The 38 special LCR is very light. I couldn't control it well until I added the larger grips. Now I can shoot it as well or better than any of my other snubbies. The trigger really is very good for a DAO trigger.