The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 15, 2009, 08:20 PM   #1
gatorgrizz27

Stainless table safe for reloading?

Hi, I am setting up a reloading bench in my garage and have a nice stainless steel table but am wondering if it would be safe to use. I am curious if there could be any issues with static electricity and powder/primers, and if so if I could ground it somehow or just use a rubber mat on top of it. Thanks a lot.
Old March 15, 2009, 08:39 PM   #2
dardascastbullets

Hi Gator,

I would definitely ground the table using a ground rod of suitable length (and composition) per your area's electrical code. It may take an 8 footer or longer depending on the water table. A call to the local electrical inspector will get your answer. All you need to ask is what is the local code specification for grounding rods. A good bond will also need to be installed to one of the legs. There are some great kits available that are self-welded. A visit to your local wholesale electrical supply company will get the information you need.

I trust that this information will help you.
Old March 15, 2009, 09:08 PM   #3
Swampghost

I STRONGLY suggest that you don't use metal as a reloading table! Grounding would make the situation worse by providing a path for the electricity to take. You could wear a static band as I do when working on electronics and 'hook up' prior to doing any work and then deal with the hangie thingie. IMHO, it's a bad idea.
Old March 15, 2009, 09:30 PM   #4
Steviewonder1

Loading Table

My loading bench is 3/4 inch Plywood over a 2x4 base and struts to the wall and floor. My Twin Dillon SDB's are bolted to the front of it. I have a Brass Primer Flipper tray. No Stainless Steel anywhere. All working very nicely. Good Luck with yours. Nothhing needs to be grounded. Electrical outlets are more than 5 feet away.
Old March 15, 2009, 10:20 PM   #5
gatorgrizz27

Maybe I should clarify that the top is a sheet of stainless over mdf or some composite with a wooden frame and wooden legs. I am not worried about electricity running up through the table and igniting whatever is on it in the event of lightning, etc. I was worried about static electricity building up and sparking something, and thinking that grounding it would prevent that from happening.

If this is a problem, would a rubber mat in the work area solve this, or should I build a wooden stand for the reloader, etc? Thanks.
Old March 15, 2009, 10:23 PM   #6
btefft

I bought a Craftsman work bench, with drawers, from Sears and it has a fiber-board top.

I have my Hornady LnL press bolted to it and it provides a nice sturdy structure to work the press on.

Check out the workbenches on:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10...NAL_SORT_ORDER

Hack

Last edited by btefft; March 15, 2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old March 16, 2009, 06:24 AM   #7
cgaengineer

You should be fine if you are careful. Most reloading tools are metal and the likeness of a spark contacting powder would be very rare.
Old March 16, 2009, 08:22 AM   #8
jaguarxk120

Just use it, it'll work fine for what you want. As a matter of fact that top will be better than what some reloaders use.
By the way get a can of Mother's and a powerball to polish it up, make it look like chrome!
Old March 16, 2009, 12:31 PM   #9
troy_mclure

my uncles work/reloading bench is a 6'x2.5'x3/8" peice of mild steel, with angle iron legs. he has had it for over 20 yrs no problems.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old March 16, 2009, 12:47 PM   #10
dsv424

Gator, you may want consider this. I started with a 3'x5' metal utility cart. But I didn't like the idea of working on a metal surface so I got a good grade of plywood and mounted it on the metal top and then just put a couple coats of polyeurethane on it and it turned out great. Just an idea.
Old March 16, 2009, 02:33 PM   #11
bgdv1

ive been using an old metal office desk for the last 12 years and have NEVER had any problems
Old March 16, 2009, 11:22 PM   #12
Ricklin

Scrap Flooring

Get a piece of smooth vinyl flooring and a little adhesive. That will give you a nicer work surface as well. I don't know that a smooth stainless top would be conducive to handling components anyway.
A little padding is a good thing.
Old March 17, 2009, 01:09 AM   #13
highrolls

Quote:
I was worried about static electricity building up and sparking something, and thinking that grounding it would prevent that from happening.
Maybe, and maybe not. In sensitive electronics, a grounded bench and grounded bench operator go together. No static around to zap sensitive components. If you have nylon based carpet under the bench and you wear rubberized shoes, you become the charged source for zap to ground through the bench. If the bench is sitting on concrete or wood, or pretty much anything except carpet, I would feel comfortable grounding it. On carpet, I think you would create a capacitive discharge location by grounding it. I have a metal bench on concrete, grounded. While I do not worry about it, there is a related static issue I have seen (on my grounded bench) that is also noted in the current Lyman manual, and more likely to cause you concern. Here is the appropriate safety issue quoted from page 40 of Lyman's 49 edition.

Quote:
CAUTION: Lyman lab technicians have observed a potential serious phenomena involving mechanical powder scales, plastic loading blocks, Styrofoam, and other objects made of plastic. These materials sometimes retain a static electric charge.......capable of causing radical deflection of uncharged and zeroed powder scales. We strongly urge that the loading bench be cleared before setting up the scale. Then replace equipment one piece at a time while observing the scale pointer. Any item that causes a scale deflection should be removed from the loading bench.