The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 16, 2009, 03:05 PM   #1
Sixer

Old bullets?

I'm full of questions today...

I picked these up at my local gun shop a while back. They're obviously pretty old but the bullets are in excellent shape. I'm not setup to reload .38 or .357 so I will probably end up selling them.

I'm not sure what a fair asking price would be for something like this. At the very least it's 100 jacketed soft point .38 bullets. I'd like to figure out approx. how old they are and if that might add / or subtract any value from them? What do ya think?

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old March 16, 2009, 05:36 PM   #2
cgaengineer

They are worth about $10 to me. I would load them like any other bullet...old stuff is of no value to me unless I can use it.
Old March 16, 2009, 05:46 PM   #3
SL1

That is one of Speers early designs that did not expand very well. Expect the soft nose to blow away on impact, and the jacketed part to not expand at all. At least they don't lead your barrel.

SL1
Old March 16, 2009, 08:43 PM   #4
dahermit

Before I would load and shoot them, I would do a little searching on GunBroker.com in the antique ammo area to see what they could bring. They might be worth more to a collector than a shooter.