The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 21, 2011, 10:07 AM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: November 13, 2008
Posts: 3
For LE only

When a firearm is listed for sale to LE only by a manufacturer, what is required to purchase the firearm? Is this the same as a Title II weapon?

beauryker is offline  
Old July 21, 2011, 12:27 PM   #2
Junior member
Join Date: June 8, 2011
Location: San Antonio , Texas
Posts: 253
It means only Law Enforcement can buy, Fbi,Highway Patrol,Local,Sheriff Deputy,Atf,Game Warden,Swat etc.Its just like Law Enforcement Oakley sunglasses ,I think its dumb but thats the way it is.
bullethole1 is offline  
Old July 21, 2011, 01:01 PM   #3
Old Grump
Member in memoriam
Join Date: April 9, 2009
Location: Blue River Wisconsin, in
Posts: 3,144
It's good advertising for their product and CYA that they won't get sued if somebody uses their product in an illegal endeavor.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old Grump is offline  
Old July 21, 2011, 01:09 PM   #4
Senior Member
Join Date: December 1, 2009
Location: Stillwater, OKlahoma
Posts: 8,403
Depending on your state,,,

LE only in a semi-auto hand gun,,,
Could mean it's capacity is more than 10 rounds.

Many states like California restrict us mere citizens,,,
To 10 round maximum magazine capacity.

Caje: The coward dies a thousand times, the brave only once.
Kirby: That's about all it takes, ain't it?
Combat: "A Silent Cry"
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
aarondhgraham is offline  
Old July 21, 2011, 01:12 PM   #5
Senior Member
Join Date: November 25, 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,951
There are a lot of everyday firearms in CA that were taken off the approved list by DOJ because the manufacturer did not want to pony up the bucks for retesting plus submitting many samples to possibly be destroyed in the drop test etc. just because they made a minor change in the gun. Someone comes in from out of state & sells their "non approved" gun to a dealer, he can only sell it to L.E.. Yeah I know it's stupid, but that is CA.
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor & Armorer, Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.
armsmaster270 is offline  
Old July 21, 2011, 08:44 PM   #6
Senior Member
Join Date: December 21, 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 727
LE only in the world of NFA weapons probably means a post-86 machine gun. Everything else can in some way be purchased by civilians depending on where they live. I have always wondered if LEOs have to go through the same NFA process as anyone else. If you are say in the FBI and want a machine gun do you need to register it with the ATF? What are the differences (other than the exemptions from the $200 tax and LEO sign off)?
chasep255 is offline  
Old July 22, 2011, 12:09 AM   #7
Senior Member
Join Date: August 31, 2009
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 1,033
LEOs have to go through the same hoops as the rest of us when buying a registered MG. It may be easier to get the signature but I know of a couple of chiefs who won't sign even for their own officers.
medalguy is offline  
Old July 22, 2011, 12:23 AM   #8
Join Date: November 20, 2009
Location: Northern Arizona
Posts: 15
Law Enforcement only means the "agency" and not the individual officer . No individual can purchase a "post sample" machine gun" (even an officer that works for the department) . It is a "tool" and can only be issued for on the job use .


Arizona Tactical Firearms (ATF)
Manufacturer (07) and (02) tax paid .
phagar is offline  
Old July 23, 2011, 12:06 PM   #9
Junior Member
Join Date: November 13, 2008
Posts: 3
Ok, I sorta found out one thing I needed to know. The other is this....a manufacturer states on his website that a particular rifle is for LE only (letterhead, sig, etc), which would make the rifle property of the dept and not an individual. So, if I personally want to purchase this rifle, how would I go about doing so? Would I have to find an in-state III dealer to buy it from the manufacturer for me? Or would he even be able to purchase the rifle?

If it matters, the rifle I'm referring to is an FNH MK16CQC.

Last edited by beauryker; July 23, 2011 at 12:18 PM.
beauryker is offline  
Old July 23, 2011, 02:09 PM   #10
Senior Member
Join Date: January 2, 2006
Location: Kansas City, MO.
Posts: 580
Well, this rifle [FNH MK16CQC] is a recently manufactured select fire weapon. The sad fact is US Civilians living in the US are not allowed to own any select fire weapon manufactured after May 1986. The Hughes amendment to the FOPA '86 prevents you from personally owning one.

You would have to commit a felony to own one. (10 years AND $250K max, I think)

EDIT: Well that's not strictly true. You could become a Special Occupational Taxpayer (SOT) and sell them. That would allow you to possess for the purpose of selling them to LE/Mil.

You can own the MK16S semi-auto version of this rifle. I'm not sure if a short "CQC" barrel is available, but if it is you could register this as a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR) under NFA '34 and own it legally.
NRA Benefactor
MSSA Life Member

Last edited by HuntAndFish; July 23, 2011 at 02:56 PM.
HuntAndFish is offline  
Old July 23, 2011, 08:46 PM   #11
Junior Member
Join Date: November 13, 2008
Posts: 3
Thank you sir. The select fire aspect of the firearm is not particularly of interest to me. The SB aspect was. I had thought about buying the MK16 model and swapping barrels. They do make a 10". At what point would I have to register the rifle? When I bought the barrel, or when I installed it on the weapon?
Thanks again.
beauryker is offline  
Old July 23, 2011, 09:43 PM   #12
Senior Member
Join Date: January 2, 2006
Location: Kansas City, MO.
Posts: 580
Owning both the weapon and the barrel might be construed by the authorities as "constructive possession". You can have one or the other, but both might be problematic. BE CAREFUL, THE PENALTIES ARE STEEP. Once you have ATF permission to build the weapon, you are okay.

This may help discover how to go about it:

SBR FAQ from

EDIT: There are good resources at the BATFE web site. The government works for you (or should) and their web site has resources (forms, info, regs) that you should read and that will help you.
NRA Benefactor
MSSA Life Member

Last edited by HuntAndFish; July 23, 2011 at 09:58 PM.
HuntAndFish is offline  
Old July 28, 2011, 05:16 AM   #13
Junior Member
Join Date: July 28, 2011
Posts: 13
Im kind of interested in this one, due to the fact of some items being completely legal to own, you just cant physically put in offers for the stuff because they want all the LEO info. theres several HK pistols, completely legal to own but theyre not on the civilian site. the M24 has recently lapsed in its contract to be solely used by the US military, its only on the LE site for remington though.
mcdowellbri is offline  
Old July 30, 2011, 04:32 PM   #14
Join Date: November 22, 2004
Posts: 23
The above poster is correct. I have to deal with this all the time selling my Full auto glock kits. The LEO has to get a department letterhead in order to convert the gun.

Other than that only C2 and C3's can do it it...Well, a C3 has to get a C2 to make a post sample for him.

I deal with LEO's daily and their biggest hurdle is convincing their chief to sign off on a Dept. Letterhead. This is mainly due to the fact that the uppers don't see a need for that much firepower. I always tell them to tell there superiors that they don't always have their shotgun on hand and with a flick of a selector switch that remedies that problem.

Believe it or not this pitch has enabled plenty of our LEO's to pack the much needed heat in certain situations.
Gossettc68 is offline  
Old September 7, 2011, 02:19 AM   #15
Junior member
Join Date: May 1, 2010
Posts: 5,797
"department letterhead"....

Some sellers of class III or AOWs state they must have a original document or form on dept or agency letterhead that says the person buying the firearm is a sworn LE officer and/or the intended use(s) of the firearm(s); SWAT, air support, covert-plainclothes ops, EP/PSD(witness security, bodyguards).

I'm not an expert on ATF or NFA forms but I have seen a few firearms/special weapons with those conditions.
ClydeFrog is offline  

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site and contents, including all posts, Copyright © 1998-2018 S.W.A.T. Magazine
Copyright Complaints: Please direct DMCA Takedown Notices to the registered agent:
Contact Us
Page generated in 0.12520 seconds with 10 queries