The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 16, 2020, 08:41 AM   #26
CleanDean

SIG P227. The most dependably reliable & accurate pistol , stock OTB. (Store bought ammo)
I handload target ammo for my Colt Gold Cup . Pretty darn accurate, but not 100% failure free.
Carbine ... I will keep my SCAR 17 ... Just as good as any other high end .308
FNH Scar 17 s --Black ; cause it goes so well with my formal wear, for those special occasions. Customized Mini 14 ,& ATI stock and a 3.5 lb.-- Pittsburgh trigger. / SIG P227 / Colt Python 8 in.Nickel / Colt Gold Cup N.M. ; Voere * KDF in .270 ; N. frame S&W revolvers; and TC Contender in 41 Magnum .
Old October 16, 2020, 10:33 AM   #27
corneileous

Pretty much all of mine. All of mine were bought with specific purposes so I don’t think I could part with any of them and I have 6 pistols. Well, technically 7, I gave my little striker fired Ruger LC9S to my mom because my new Springfield XDE replaced it as my EDC. Would I have considered selling it if I hadn’t of decided to give it to her? Probably not because it still could’ve served as a purpose or probably woulda been a good little pistol for my girlfriend but since she’s not into guns like I am, I gave it to my mom because I figured she needed something more than just a snub 357 revolver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 16, 2020, 10:40 AM   #28
Schlitz 45

I have never traded or sold any guns or guitars-just continue to accumulate them & love 'em all.
Old October 16, 2020, 10:49 AM   #29
peterg7

The one you will not sell or trade

You must keep buying a bigger house then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 16, 2020, 11:03 AM   #30
Eddiejoe

A pair of Ruger Blackhawks in .357 that my wife and I will wear in our formal wedding ceremony, a SIG P365, a couple rifles, and a Star 30MI. It doesn't function reliably, but I bought so many spare parts and had extra work done that I refuse to let it beat me!
Old October 16, 2020, 02:27 PM   #31
Obambulate

S&W Model 60-4. Revolver perfection.
Old October 16, 2020, 05:33 PM   #32
1911_Hardball

I have two.
One is a Smith & Wesson Model 58 which is pristine enough that it could pass for unfired.
The other is a High Standard Double Derringer .22 LR. (sentimental reasons).
Old October 16, 2020, 06:07 PM   #33
Rangerrich99

Can't limit it to just one. Would have to keep all of my father's guns that he left me. In ordinary times I'd probably pick my S&W 1911SC-E, just because it's a great firearm and it's the prettiest handgun I own. As these aren't ordinary times, I'd have to keep one of my ARs as well.
Old October 16, 2020, 07:35 PM   #34
Forte S+W

After seeing so many melodramatic threads/posts online about firearms folks wish they hadn't sold, I have long since decided to learn from their mistakes by never selling or trading any of my firearms unless I absolutely have no choice.

I've been tempted a few times, but so far I've managed to stand firm in my resolution, and in hindsight I'm happy that I did because I would have regretted my decision otherwise.
Old October 16, 2020, 10:21 PM   #35
Carriertxv

I don’t sell or trade any of my guns but two that I would never ever consider are my grandfather’s 1873 Trapdoor and my SBH Bisley in 45 Colt.
Old October 16, 2020, 10:32 PM   #36
Double K

I don't get emotionally attached to guns they're tools, I've owned close to 200 and rarely more than 20 at any given time.
I have a S&W 1911 SCe that I would consider my most essential firearm, doubt I'll sell or trade it unless something really special comes along to replace it.
Old October 17, 2020, 08:58 AM   #37
Geezerbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
CZ-82 in 9mm Makarov.

Nothing special about it. It needs some gunsmith attention, and more than the one magazine it came with. And it is not one that I intend on ever carrying, short of direst necessity.

But, it was my oldest son's, found in his stuff after he died.

(The rest of the gun hoarde is in constant slow churn.)
My sincerest condolences. One doesn't get over a loss like that.

Years ago a good friend and a Practical Pistol shooting coach took my then 10 year old daughter and myself to Tri-County Gun Club near Portland, OR. She shot his Glock 19 and fell in love with it. He was amazed that a 10 year old girl could shoot better than most grown men and it was at the moment I decided I'd get her a Glock. Well that was 1994 and we all know what happened later that year. When the Holidays rolled around the only auto pistol I could still afford was a commercial Russian Mak in .380. It's been a great shooter and take the same mags as all the military surplussed ones.

The only problem we've had with it was getting all 8 rounds in the mag. It came with 2 and I bought 2 more so I figured if I cut the mag spring down in one and it didn't work, the loss was minimal... It shot the same with the cut down mag spring (but we could finally get all 8 rounds in the mag) so I cut down the other 3. This is one of the guns she would never sell.

I have a few more stories about shooting with my only daughter but I'll save them for another day.
Old October 17, 2020, 11:30 AM   #38
PzGren

Quote:
“Or a completely different feel, get yourself a Norinco copy of a TT Olympia and I’ll mill a scope rail, do a trigger job and give you a custom magazine release. I love mine, it’s what I shoot in league. It’s literally 100% parts compatible with the Walther and Hammerli, and the steel is real good to work with!”

As I was an Engineer and had money to burn, I found one on GunBroker and sent it to be slicked up.
The Norinco TT Olympia is a copy of the Walther 1936 Olympia Jägerschaftspistole and I can assure you from direct comparison and experience that the parts do not interchange with Hämmerli Internationals, not even grips or magazines.

The Hämmerli 212 Jägerschaftspistole is a direct descendant of the 1936 Walther version and this one is of my cherished guns:

Old October 17, 2020, 08:26 PM   #39
Doc TH

Inland 1944 M1 carbine, at some time after WWII in armory of the USS Perry.
Purchased through CMP, delivered in 1965 to me while at NAS Pensacola.
Over the ensuing years has been flawless. Almost a perfect PDW: accurate to 200+ yards, short & light. They knew what they were doing, as more than 6 million were manufactured & used up to Vietnam era by USA, & beyond that by many other nations.
Old October 18, 2020, 11:39 AM   #40
COSteve

I have many more than just one. Some I developed like my custom Glock 20/21L. Some I've had for most of my life like my 1943 NPM M1 Carbine. Some I fell in love with in the service over 50 years ago like my M1A. Some I've looked for over a few decades for the 'right one' like my Winchester 88.

Some that I've customized to be something different than they started like my walnut stocked AR A4 'Apple shooter' or my 'Mini M14'. And some that just give me pleasure every time I even just pick them up like my Rossis and Ubertis.

No, they all aren't going anywhere. My collection is something I don't just have, I cherish it. It's a part of who I am, what I believe, and how I live. Same with my handloading equipment. They are all about what makes me . . . . me.

I've executed a transfer agreement with my son so they all are already to become his when I'm gone or can't own them for some reason. He's excited to have them both because he also enjoys them and because they are all a tangible reminder of what I've used and enjoyed .
Old October 18, 2020, 03:47 PM   #41
Classic12

I am really very fond of my 1943 Colt 1911A1 and would be hard pressed to let it go

I’ve also had this Barretta 93 R for over 20 years and I cannot imagine parting with it, it’s such an amazing look and design

Old October 18, 2020, 05:01 PM   #42
MR.G

S&W Model 686 Plus that my Mom bought me in 2002 for my birthday. She handled the gun and really liked it. She died the next year after years of battling cancer. She took care of her kids and wanted me to have it. It has been tuned to perfection, just the way Mom would like it.
Old October 19, 2020, 07:42 PM   #43
bn12gg

All 60 of mine are inanimate objects. Each will eventually be sold. No big deal, no drama.

.02 David
Old October 19, 2020, 07:51 PM   #44
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic12
I am really very fond of my 1943 Colt 1911A1 and would be hard pressed to let it go
Classic, is that finish original, or at least arsenal refinished?

Gotta hold on to my Cylinder & Slide 100th Anniversary 1911A1. Army designation; s/n 88. Fortunate to be able to pick the designation & s/n. My old man was a Viet Nam vet. 82nd Airborne, 9th Infantry. Got married on the 8th. If you look up what R&D Bill Laughridge had to go through and making his own tool/dies, you'd be amazed. It's the finest firearm I own.

https://cylinder-slide.com/Item/51A

https://cylinder-slide.com/PDFarticl...1911-Final.pdf

https://cylinder-slide.com/1911gvt

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old October 20, 2020, 03:26 AM   #45
rwilson452

My colt 1991A1 after my 20 I the navy I finally had enough cash to buy a 1911. That was what I bought. It will feed and shoot anything in 45 ACP. It has been my companion since I bought it. It would be the last to go. On another matter, if I sold my M1A my son would be deeply hurt as it is promised to him when I pass.

Last edited by rwilson452; October 20, 2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old October 20, 2020, 05:34 AM   #46
Ibmikey

I have my place of internment paid for along with my cremation, ashes go into a plastic ammo can with my dogs ashes, some cherished items including a mini 380 pistol (no ammo). Padlock for the lid and into the ground we go. I really like the Sig P 238 and the Star DK from which almost all of the minis came from.
Old October 20, 2020, 07:55 AM   #47
CajunBass

I don't really have any. They're just guns, made to be bought and sold, swapped and traded. No emotional attachment at all.

The last one I'd sell would probably be a Ruger Security 9, and I say that simply because it was inexpensive and would probably bring the least on the second hand market.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old October 20, 2020, 01:34 PM   #48
Classic12

The one you will not sell or trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Tuttle View Post
Classic, is that finish original, or at least arsenal refinished?

Gotta hold on to my Cylinder & Slide 100th Anniversary 1911A1. Army designation; s/n 88. Fortunate to be able to pick the designation & s/n. My old man was a Viet Nam vet. 82nd Airborne, 9th Infantry. Got married on the 8th. If you look up what R&D Bill Laughridge had to go through and making his own tool/dies, you'd be amazed. It's the finest firearm I own.

https://cylinder-slide.com/Item/51A

https://cylinder-slide.com/PDFarticl...1911-Final.pdf

https://cylinder-slide.com/1911gvt

I think the finish is original. I bought it at an auction from an LGS in Switzerland close to the German border, they have a lot of guns coming in from Germany. The pistol has German acceptance proof stamps from 1993, very discreetly applied under the slide.

I imagine it led a quiet life with a US officer based in Germany who let it go somehow.

Never saw that Cylinder & Slide model, very impressive
Old October 20, 2020, 02:02 PM   #49
zoo

If it had a direct role in saving my life it gets passed on to my son long before it gets sold or traded.

Heck, he could almost make a living out of em!
Old October 20, 2020, 02:43 PM   #50
Shane Tuttle
Staff

That's a very fine piece, Classic12.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting