The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 6, 2020, 06:19 PM   #1
kymasabe

CZ questions...any CZ fans?

I'm thinking of selling my S&W SD9, and wading into the CZ waters. Are there any CZ fanatics here, I have some 75/85 questions.
Old September 6, 2020, 08:21 PM   #2
10-96

I haven't carried either of my 75's since I got my P10, but fling your questions out there and let's see what we can answer.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old September 6, 2020, 09:23 PM   #3
Nodak1858

CZ fan here. I have a few 50s, 82s and recently a 75B. I'm not super knowledgeable of all the ins and outs of them, but all mine have been reliable and I enjoy shooting them. My first CZ50 was one of my first buys with my C&R, got me hooked on the 32ACP. Then had some P64s so the CZ82 fit since I already have and load for the 9x18. And I have always wanted a 75, they went on sale at the LGS so jumped on one last spring.
Old September 6, 2020, 09:38 PM   #4
balin

I have several CZ's.
Old September 6, 2020, 09:51 PM   #5
cslinger

Here are some of my thoughts.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=585851

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=598488

I also have a P01 that is a wonderful gun.
Old September 6, 2020, 11:56 PM   #6
kymasabe

Ok, well...I've been indoor handgun shooting for the last 18 years but, I got a chance to shoot outdoor at some steels and its addicting. Shooting with guys sporting Sigs and STI's, all with optics. I'm thinking it may be time to upgrade my gun so...was thinking of buying a CZ SP-01 Shadow, no optic for now, I guess I could have the slide milled later if I wanted to add an optic.
No firing pin block, no decocker. Will NOT be a carry gun, is just home protection and range use. Was hoping for some feedback on the Shadow and my intended use.
Old September 7, 2020, 01:38 AM   #7
HighDesert

The SP-01 Tactical Orange is super nice, as are the Shadow 2s. Blue is a great gun for steel, Orange essentially a custom shop version of the blue @ around $800 more. Notable differences are trigger and barrel bushing. Orange has other mods, but not as noticeable. That said, if you can swing for the orange, go for it. Otherwise, blue will do a great job. It already has a nice trigger. Just not as refined as orange. The Bull Shadow is super nice too.

Steel shooting is addicting for sure. Good luck shooting indoors moving forward.
Old September 7, 2020, 05:29 AM   #8
luger fan

Go with CZ. You you won't regret it..........8 CZ owner
Old September 7, 2020, 07:02 AM   #9
ghbucky

CZ makes an optic ready model. P-10 I believe?
Old September 7, 2020, 07:11 AM   #10
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymasabe View Post
Ok, well...I've been indoor handgun shooting for the last 18 years but, I got a chance to shoot outdoor at some steels and its addicting. Shooting with guys sporting Sigs and STI's, all with optics. I'm thinking it may be time to upgrade my gun so...was thinking of buying a CZ SP-01 Shadow, no optic for now, I guess I could have the slide milled later if I wanted to add an optic.
No firing pin block, no decocker. Will NOT be a carry gun, is just home protection and range use. Was hoping for some feedback on the Shadow and my intended use.

The optics ready version of the Shadow 2 was available in the US this year. Could always grab that, and then add an optic later if you wanted. It is a bit of a premium over the standard Shadow 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 7, 2020, 09:16 AM   #11
roc1

My favorite always liked them for several years. Cz Hi Powers 1911 all 3 my favorites only semi autos I own. Done mods to all my CZ pistols well all my guns had something except DW. CZ have lots of tweaks can be done make a good pistol fantastic.
Can’t go wrong with any of steel guns with hammers I’m not plastic fan owned bunch in past not anymore good guns just like steel with hammers
Old September 7, 2020, 09:18 AM   #12
luger fan

roc1. AMEN BROTHER. 100%
Old September 7, 2020, 09:36 AM   #13
railroader

I have 2 Sp-01 Shadows and 1 short dust cover 75 Shadow. The one SP-01 Shadow is cut for a vortex venom. All three have lighter hammer and recoil springs, extended firing pins, and new disconnects that shorten up the take up on the single action trigger pull. They are by far my favorite handguns. Here's an optics ready SP-01 Shadow optics ready in stock.

https://oakhillguns.com/pistol/cz-us...y-rds-9mm.html

Last edited by railroader; September 7, 2020 at 09:41 AM.
Old September 7, 2020, 09:51 AM   #14
JWT

CZ make very nice firearms. Won't go wrong with any of their offerings.
Old September 7, 2020, 09:58 AM   #15
Nodak1858

While I won't be racing any of my CZs, but commenting did make me toss a 82 and 75 in the range bag.
Loading up and will go through some ammo to celebrate the day CZ style.
Old September 7, 2020, 10:35 AM   #16
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by railroader View Post
I have 2 Sp-01 Shadows and 1 short dust cover 75 Shadow. The one SP-01 Shadow is cut for a vortex venom. All three have lighter hammer and recoil springs, extended firing pins, and new disconnects that shorten up the take up on the single action trigger pull. They are by far my favorite handguns. Here's an optics ready SP-01 Shadow optics ready in stock.

https://oakhillguns.com/pistol/cz-us...y-rds-9mm.html

I had never seen that model, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 7, 2020, 12:27 PM   #17
HistoryJunky

I own a 85B and a P07 Gen 2.

Both are great and extremely reliable, accurate shooters.

I have owned the 85b for 5 years or better now. No malfunctions over 2k or so rounds aside from some bad reloads I made when I tried that for awhile.

In the pre-Omega triggers, they smooth out really nicely. I kind of wish my P-07 didn't have the Omega system.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old September 7, 2020, 08:11 PM   #18
dgludwig

When the Model P-01 was first introduced, CZ described it as being "...based on the CZ 75 design, but with improvements in Metallurgy, quality control and design." I'm considering getting either a P-01 or a Model 75 D PCR as an edc gun. Other than the P-01 having an M3 rail (which the D PCR lacks) and the D PCR having low-drag sights and a loaded chamber indicator (which the P-01 doesn't have), are there any other differences between the two pistols (the D PCR weighs a little less-1.75 vs 1.71 and retails for $28.00 less)? Thanks.

I have owned a Model 85 for the past couple of decades or so and, though I like it as well or more than the many other pistols I own, imo, it's a mite heavy and bulky for regular edc duties.
Old September 8, 2020, 01:04 AM   #19
Ignition Override

I carry a CZ PCR, Walther P99 (AS) or the Sig P6, for variety.

The CZ PCR (75D's) ergos are difficult to surpass.

kymasabe: If you are aware of the design quality of the Czech VZ-58 rifles (*Not AKs, only the looks are similar), then you can probably imagine the quality of Czech handguns.
Old September 8, 2020, 09:13 AM   #20
HighDesert

One of the biggest things I see between the two are sights and options. With PCR, the sights sit in a widened channel and hook forward, whereas the P-01 is a more traditional fit. The sight picture is a touch longer, but the biggie is more sights are available.

P-01 also comes in an Omega version, so you can convert between decocker and safety. Biggest thing is trigger assembly is far simpler to work on or upgrade. If P-01 isn’t an option, than mainly the sight different. For carry, the PCR has a narrower nose.
Old September 9, 2020, 07:10 PM   #21
dgludwig

I was at my lgs today and saw that they had a new 75 P-01 and a new 75 D PCR Compact lying side by side. For whatever reason, the store was asking $649.99 for the P-01 and $569.00 for the PCR Compact; a difference of about $80.00 for essentially the same gun (as noted earlier, the CZ catalog shows a difference of $28.00 retail price). Because I have no use for a light rail and because I prefer having "snagless" sights and a loaded chamber indicator, if the Compact model is still there tomorrow, I plan on using the eighty dollar difference to buy a holster and maybe some ammunition while I'm at it.
Old September 9, 2020, 11:13 PM   #22
HighDesert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgludwig View Post
I was at my lgs today and saw that they had a new 75 P-01 and a new 75 D PCR Compact lying side by side. For whatever reason, the store was asking $649.99 for the P-01 and $569.00 for the PCR Compact; a difference of about $80.00 for essentially the same gun (as noted earlier, the CZ catalog shows a difference of $28.00 retail price). Because I have no use for a light rail and because I prefer having "snagless" sights and a loaded chamber indicator, if the Compact model is still there tomorrow, I plan on using the eighty dollar difference to buy a holster and maybe some ammunition while I'm at it.
If it was an Omega, the P-01 can be a bit higher than non-omega
Old September 10, 2020, 01:43 AM   #23
dgludwig

Not an Omega; regular old (new) P-01.
Old September 10, 2020, 08:12 AM   #24
HighDesert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgludwig View Post
Not an Omega; regular old (new) P-01.
No idea then, but in today’s market prices are what a LGS can get. Actually kinda surprised you found either at all and they aren’t asking more. There’s plenty of room around here for another PCR! Now we’ll be placing bets on how long before you add the next CZ, and the one after that, and the one after...
Old September 10, 2020, 09:20 AM   #25
cslinger

Quote:
Actually kinda surprised you found either at all and they aren’t asking more.
There are masses of new gun owners and the word that is synonymous with gun to a great many of them is Glock.

A Czeska Che
Err Czehes
Err Chezhas
Errr a ..... could I buy a vowel Pat?

Anyway a CZ is a bit of an unknown even to a great deal of regular shooters even today much less Brad and Brandy who are literally dipping a toe into “very scary unknown waters” so although not as much as in the past it is still a bit of a little known gem.