The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 26, 2020, 12:33 AM   #1
Koda94

1911 Front Sight roll pin

Original Springfield Loaded factory front sight roll pin drilled crooked... because of this I cant install the new front sight I want.

Whats the best solution?

I also need a new roll pin, can anyone tell me what size it is?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Selection_001.jpg (393.1 KB, 483 views)
Old August 26, 2020, 12:58 AM   #2
Scorch

You don't need a roll pin to hold a front sight in place. Just buy a front sight with the proper dovetail and fit it tightly. The roll pin is a fix for sloppy tolerances and sloppy mass production. Several gunmakers do this: front sight is loose in the dovetail, so put a roll pin in to hold it in place. About as good as the manufacturers who LocTite their sights in place. Have you ever tried to adjust handgun sights that are LocTited in place?
Old August 26, 2020, 01:09 AM   #3
Koda94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
You don't need a roll pin to hold a front sight in place. Just buy a front sight with the proper dovetail and fit it tightly. The roll pin is a fix for sloppy tolerances and sloppy mass production. Several gunmakers do this: front sight is loose in the dovetail, so put a roll pin in to hold it in place. About as good as the manufacturers who LocTite their sights in place. Have you ever tried to adjust handgun sights that are LocTited in place?
If I have to I will take it to a smith but I'm hoping to avoid handfitting. I'm comfortable inserting roll pins.
Old August 26, 2020, 09:00 AM   #4
dahermit

You may want to try here: https://www.harborfreight.com/120-pi...ugg_q=roll+pin
Old August 26, 2020, 09:58 AM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda94
Original Springfield Loaded factory front sight roll pin drilled crooked... because of this I cant install the new front sight I want.

Whats the best solution?
Weld up the original hole using TIG welds from the top and the underside. Re-mill the upper and lower surfaces, then drill a new hole that's straight.
Jeepaholic
Old August 26, 2020, 10:52 AM   #6
ocharry

think i would call Springfield and see what they say,,,,they just might want it back to fit a new slide ,,,worth a call,,,,if they do want it back,,,you could have some other stuff done on their shipping dime,,,maybe pin the ejector,,,some are glued in,,,maybe a trigger job,,,who knows they may even put the sight you want on for free

my .02

ocharry
Old August 26, 2020, 01:17 PM   #7
Clemson

Size is 1/16. You may have to shorten whatever you come up with to fit. As long as the sight is centered in the dovetail, the cockeyed hole is not going to hurt anything.
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old August 26, 2020, 06:36 PM   #8
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
Weld up the original hole using TIG welds from the top and the underside. Re-mill the upper and lower surfaces, then drill a new hole that's straight.
Welding would most certainly require a re-blue job. Does he really want to go that route when they may be cheaper alternatives (like ignore/leave the hole alone, locktite the new sight into posistion).
Old August 26, 2020, 06:59 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

I'm out of date. None of my Springfields have roll pins. Just the funny halfway between square post hole.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 27, 2020, 12:20 AM   #10
Koda94

Stainless slide so no need to worry about rebluing. Any new sight is going to have the hole drilled perpendicular so it will never line up with the slanted hole in the frame and thus will never be secure unless I order an oversized sight that requires hand fitting. All I wanted was a night sight up front.

A quick rant is its really frustrating how such a simple task as drilling a straight hole is screwed up on a gun that costs almost a grand to buy is inexcusable, and this isnt the first expensive 1911 Ive had basic manufacturing defects on. What is it about 1911s they need to charge so much when machining technology is at its finest since the guns invention over 100yrs ago?

I should probably call Springfield to give them a chance to rectify this first, I dred the idea of fitting a new slide (Ive actually gone thru that warranty repair with another 1911 and it didnt end well...) or sending the gun in via mail over a simple sight replacement. Theres just no way to properly fix this privately thru a local smith that wont cost me way more than the trouble of some new sights. I think weld the hole and redrill is the only option and thats not gonna be cheap.
Old August 27, 2020, 01:28 AM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

I'm even more out of date, my Government Model has the front sight staked, just like the GI 1911A1s.

No dovetail

No pin

No need...
Old August 29, 2020, 07:25 PM   #12
Scorch

I already told you, get the proper size sight and fit it tight. No need for the roll pin. Buy a Trijicon or Novak or Ameriglo and put it in tight. Springfield and Ed Brown and Kimber make their front sights undersized so they can pin them.