The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 29, 2019, 12:55 PM   #1
aandrews

M4 sliding stock extension block

Is there a way or a commercial (store-bought) solution for setting an extension-block in the collapsible stock on an M4-style AR-15, so that one can simply extend it all the way to the correct length and not have to hunt for the proper stop?
Old September 29, 2019, 01:24 PM   #2
berettaprofessor

I don't know of anything commercially, but couldn't one take the collapsible buffer tub, fill in the holes "ahead" of where you want to stop with JBWeld, and then fill in the "groove" behind where you want to stop?

For example, say you want to stop in the 3rd hole of 6. Fill in the first two holes with JBWeld so they're flush with the deepened groove. Then fill in the deepened groove and holes 4, 5, and 6 behind hole three, flush with the circumference of the buffer tube. The stock would stop automatically only in hole 3 but would still be removable if you wanted.

I don't know how JBWeld holds up to firing forces over the long run, but it's worth a try.
Old September 29, 2019, 02:01 PM   #3
MTT TL

There are many different kinds of stocks out there for AR style rifles. Hundreds at this point. Some have butt pads or some other kind of screwed in extension at the rear. You could remove this and replace it with something longer if you wanted to. Some come adjustable.

Old October 4, 2019, 07:44 AM   #4
stagpanther

Quote:
s there a way or a commercial (store-bought) solution for setting an extension-block in the collapsible stock on an M4-style AR-15, so that one can simply extend it all the way to the correct length and not have to hunt for the proper stop?
It's called "leave it there."