The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 2, 2019, 07:55 PM   #1
kilotanker22

Remington 798

A friend of mine has a Remington 798 I am thinking about buying. Its basically a Czech made Model 70. The receiver is engraved with Remington Model 798 and Zastava M70.

Its in great condition and 300 Winchester Magnum.

Any experience with these here? Seems like a decent rifle, and he is not asking a lot for it.
Old January 2, 2019, 09:30 PM   #2
Mobuck

" Its basically a Czech made Model 70. "
More like a commercial 98 Mauser.
Old January 2, 2019, 09:35 PM   #3
kilotanker22

I have never owned a "commercial 98 Mauser" what's the scoop with them?
Old January 2, 2019, 10:13 PM   #4
taylorce1

The scoop is they've been around a long time, and have been imported under a few different names like Interarms, Charles Daly, and I'm sure a few others. They should function as well as any servicible Mauser. They are more refined than most military actions, but not as refined as some commercial actions such as FN and others.

It should have an adjustable trigger similar to a Timney, and as far as I know the 798 had a laminated wood stock making it a little heavy. I never heard of any of them shooting real poorly, but I never heard them suggested for extreme accuracy either. Just good solid qnd capable hunting rifles, a lot of people bought to build customs on.
Old January 2, 2019, 10:23 PM   #5
kilotanker22

Taylorce1,

Thanks for the input. The same friend also has an interarms 7mm Remington magnum I am considering buying. The 7mm had a ported barrel. Not sure how I feel about that, but I might go ahead and buy both of those rifles.

I mean the 98 Mauser has been around for how long now? And people are still making copies of it. I have hunting rifles. So it's not a "need" more like an addiction, lol.
Old January 2, 2019, 10:31 PM   #6
ligonierbill

Recent Gunbroker sales range from $330 to $600, most to the low end. They never really caught on in the US, but I never heard anything negative about them.
Old January 2, 2019, 10:54 PM   #7
HiBC

I could be wrong,but I believe it is a Zastava. They were made in Yugoslavia.

Remington either bought the rights or the factory,I don't know.But the 798 is a commercial Mauser action sold by Remington.

I suspect Remington figured out it would cut Rem 700 sales.My tastes would prefer a 798.

How long they been making them?That "98" is from 1898. A while.

The 1898 Mauser is a pattern.A Design. Blueprints and production tools.Its been made a number of places, The FN in Belgium.Santa Barbara,Spain.

Parker Hale.BSA,Maybe Britain. You will see differences in fit and finish.I do not have experience with how Remington built them.

FN,Browning, Mark 10,JC Higgins,etc,all use the receiver design.So did the Germans and several other armies.

IMO,for a hunting rifle,its one of the best ever made.

Last edited by HiBC; January 2, 2019 at 11:01 PM.
Old January 3, 2019, 02:38 AM   #8
Scorch

At one point in time, the Mauser 1898 was THE rifle for anyone to own. It was the result of decades of design and refinement of rifle actions for various militaries around the world. Mauser (a German company) licensed many countries to produce their designs for that country's military, and the Zastava factory was originally one of the Yugoslavian state arsenals.

The Remington 798 is, as stated above, a commercial Mauser 98. They were made by Zastava in the former Yugoslavia (partitioned into Serbia, Croatia, and Slovenia after a civil war). Remington took over importing Zastava firearms when Charles Daly (Kassnar) went under, but quit importing them when the Yugoslavian civil war broke out in the 1990s. Zastave firearms are currently imported by Century Arms and other distributors.
Old January 3, 2019, 06:59 AM   #9
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBC
I could be wrong,but I believe it is a Zastava. They were made in Yugoslavia.
You're right, I totally screwed that part up. I'll blame it on the flu that I gave right now. Czechs make good Mausers too, but the Zastava isnt theirs.
Old January 3, 2019, 07:59 AM   #10
Mobuck

10-15 years ago(just before the demise of the "custom Mauser" fad), I was buying Mauser actions where ever possible for resale/rebuild. There were people dismantling Zastava/Rem 798/Chas Daly rifles to sell the parts. Besides 3-4 rebarrelled CD actions, I still have a pair of stripped CD receivers in a box waiting for Grandsons to get old enough to choose their preferred chambering.
Old January 3, 2019, 10:40 AM   #11
jmr40

They have been imported for at least 40-50 years and sold under several names. They are solid dependable rifles, although not noted for exceptional accuracy. At one time you could just buy the actions and have your gunsmith build a custom for you. This was quite popular at one time. I had a 338-06 with a Brown Precision stock built off one of these actions at one time as well as a 7mm Rem Mag that I owned for a while in the early 80's.

I wouldn't be interested in one as-is. If the price is cheap enough I'd buy it to use as the basis for a semi-custom.

Winston Churchill
Old January 3, 2019, 01:37 PM   #12
kilotanker22

That is kind of where I am At jmr40. They would likely be used for loaner rifles during deer season. Maybe rebarrel and restock one
Old January 3, 2019, 11:19 PM   #13
jaysouth

I have one flagged as "Mauser MK X" and imported by interarms. It is in .30-06 and had a glass bedded action and pilar bedding. I replaced the trigger with a Timney and have free floated the barrel

With walmart Remington ammo, it get three shot groups under an inch. With match prepped brass, RL-15, and Hornady match bullets, it gets 10 round groups under an inch.

I never could figure out why Remington imported these rifles with their logo on it. It took them a while to figure out that they were competing with Remington 700 sales.