The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 8, 2020, 07:01 PM   #1
ninosdemente

H335

I went to Cabelas to see what powders they had. Really was trying to get Varget, IMR4064 and H4350. No surprise, they had neither not even primers. Wonder if they are just not getting any. So after looking at the wide selections on the shelf I was able to get H335.

Are there any pros/cons on this powder? What do you like about it? Curious to know how it pars to Varget. Hopefully soon will be able to load a few to test. Loading for Savage 12FV .223 Rem. Have different projectiles: 55gr, 60gr, 69gr. Mostly 69gr. Just for bench shooting. Thanks in advanced.
Old October 8, 2020, 07:41 PM   #2
Sevens

H-335 is massively popular for .223/5.56 so it doesn’t make a lot of sense that they had it and not the others. H-335 is what I use exclusively for all my prairie dog red misting ammo.

Pros: it’s a Hodgdon powder so load data is quickly, easily and well supported by the Hodgdon online data center. Also, it’s a spherical powder so it meters really well. As it’s extremely popular, there’s lots and lots of published data from many sources.

Cons: it’s popular so often out of stock! In the loads I’ve used (50 and 55gr) it gives me a little more pressure for similar results than extruded H-4198 does.

I’m not really a rifle guy, but it is my favorite rifle powder.
Old October 8, 2020, 08:12 PM   #3
hounddawg

as Sevens already said H335 is a fantastic powder, I like it as well as Varget in .223 and am working up loads using it in 6BR and 6.5 Grendel as well

the reason they are getting 335 but not the extruded stick powders in stock is that the stick powders marketed as Hogdon are actually manufactured in Australia. Aussie dock worker were on strike most of the summer and shipping container regulation changes have made exportation of smokeless powder from down under come to a crawl. I have a feeling this is not temporary. Just speaking for myself but I am weaning myself off the extruded Hogdon stuff. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst as they say. There is a little self help book called "Who Moved the Cheese". Reloaders might find it appropriate in these times
Old October 8, 2020, 10:07 PM   #4
ninosdemente

Thanks guys for the replies. I was able to get 3 - 1lbs. Guess will keep an eye out for their next shipment.
Old October 8, 2020, 11:07 PM   #5
Deltadart

Seems to work pretty well in .30-30.
Old October 8, 2020, 11:31 PM   #6
Marco Califo

H335 is the retail version of military powder used in 5.56 for M193 55 gr FMJ: WC844, sometimes available as surplus pull-down, $100 for 8 lbs. It is a ball powder and meters well. Use SR Mag primers There similar surplus powders available, too. It is good for lighter bullets in 308, like 110 grain bullets at 3280-ish. Also versatile in other calibers.

Last edited by Marco Califo; October 9, 2020 at 08:54 PM.
Old October 9, 2020, 12:05 AM   #7
jimbob86

I've used it in 5.56, 30-30WIN, and for light loads in 270WIN. Meters well, used to be widely available, was generally less expensive locally than most other powders I use ....
Old October 9, 2020, 06:12 PM   #8
603Country

H335 is my 223/5.56 powder of choice. It’s great with 40 gr Nosler BTs and 65 gr Sierra GKs in my bolt gun and AR. It seems to work better for me than Varget.
Old October 9, 2020, 06:28 PM   #9
Metal god

Quote:
I went to Cabelas to see what powders they had. Really was trying to get Varget, IMR4064 and H4350.
Ha Ha Ha you were looking for what powder , oh sorry Ba Ha ha !!!! yeah good luck with that Maybe you can pick me up some primers when you're there getting Varget and H-4350

Really though and I'm not sure why it's been available but I've bought 16lbs of H-335 in the last couple months and it's still available on some websites . It's a very good powder and I use it on all my 5.56 and AR-10 plinking loads ( FMJ's )

I've never tried it for precision loadings and I don't link I would unless forced to . The stick powders have proven them selves the better choice for accuracy and that's what I'll stick with . I'd think H-335 would likely get you some good results but IMHO it's likely just a tad to fast to be optimal for the heavier bullets

MG

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 9, 2020, 07:32 PM   #10
Marco Califo

Mucho Caliente!

H335 burns HOT. A spotter barrel will get too hot to touch with 10 rounds.
Old October 9, 2020, 07:42 PM   #11
Metal god

Quote:
H335 burns HOT. A sportter barrel will get too hot to touch with 10 rounds.
It is really hot burning for sure .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 10, 2020, 05:59 PM   #12
armoredman

I really like H335, but last trip I made they were out - ended up with X-Terminator instead.
Old October 10, 2020, 10:16 PM   #13
2ndtimer

I used to use H335, but years ago tried Ramshot TAC, and gave away my last pound of H-335. But these days, you take what you can get and H-335 will certainly work in .223/5.56 and lots of people like it, I just find TAC cleaner shooting, more versatile and less touchy on the top end on warm days.
Old October 10, 2020, 10:55 PM   #14
P Flados

Several decades ago I bought some H335.

Worked ok at the time.

In the past 15 or so years, my powder purchases have been on-line with largish batches so the shipping and hazmat did not hurt so bad.

When my boy got an AR-15, it soon became obvious that I would be loading a bunch of 223. I had a couple of other guns I expected to need a good supply of a similar burn rate powder.

I ended up trying an 8 lb jug of the milsurp version (WC844). It worked great in every gun I tried.

This of course encouraged more shooting of the resultant ammo. As I recall it only took about six months to use about half a jug.

My most recent purchase of WC844 was 32 lbs with a delivered price less than $15 per lb.

If you find that H335 works in your guns, the milsurp choice really can be a big cost saving. For now most sellers are out, but if you check periodically it will turn up again.

Last edited by P Flados; October 10, 2020 at 11:02 PM.
Old October 15, 2020, 01:42 PM   #15
ninosdemente

Thank you guys for all the help and replies. Metal god, guess trying to look for the main powders gives me a reason to go the Cabelas even though I know its a really long shot in finding them even primers.

Don't mind buying online, just like anyone else tries to avoid haz mat fees/shipping but if no other choice then I have to suck it up and get some or get none. I try to look out also for when there is free hazmat/shipping as it helps to get another 1lb of something.
Old October 15, 2020, 11:48 PM   #16
Marco Califo

$16 HazMat @ Midsouth Shooters Supply

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/
$16 HazMat everyday.
They have 238 powders in stock. Including TAC and A2230, both in the 223/5.56 range.
I have done occasional large powder orders through Powder Valley. Now, I no longer need to. I get the powders I want delivered. The $16 HazMat, reasonable shipping and the they do not collect sales tax for California.
Old October 16, 2020, 06:19 AM   #17
Logs

My dad uses H335, but I can't find it anywhere. I was in Cabela's yesterday and they had a bunch of powder in stock. Most of it was pistol and some shotgun powder. I was able to find one can of BL-C2 so hopefully this will work for plinking with the AR. $30 a can.

(EDIT: image removed; see the board rules on posting copyrighted materials)

On a side note I was able to pick up 900 rounds of Winchester 45 acp loaded ammo. They had a bunch of 22 bulk, 357 sig, 357 mag HP, 38 special all in stock yesterday at 11 am. Prices were a little higher, but nothing like what I see on online.
Old October 16, 2020, 08:38 AM   #18
Bart B.

Ball (spherical) powders have never been popular for best accuracy.
Old October 16, 2020, 12:22 PM   #19
hounddawg

On the BLC(2). My .308 AR10 likes it better than Varget which is just fine by me. With open sights I get minute of zombie accuracy at 50 yards offhand rapid fire and that all I ask of it. I load .2 gn shy of Hogdon max load data because of the temp sensitivity. If you do the load development in cold weather I recommend you drop it back a couple of tenths when the weather gets hot. Never had a problem but then I load on the conservative side
Old October 16, 2020, 12:25 PM   #20
Marco Califo

Ball powders are used in U.S.G.I. ammo. They meter very well, and suit high volume shooters.
Old October 16, 2020, 08:36 PM   #21
603Country

BL-C(2) works fine in 223, but I get better accuracy with H-335 in my rifles. I bought the BL-C(2) during the last powder shortage, or the one before that.

A nephew wanted to load for his AR a year or so ago, so we used the BL-C(2) behind 63 gr Sierra SMPbullets and got excellent accuracy at mid range loads. So maybe your rifle will love it like his did.
Old October 19, 2020, 08:24 AM   #22
Logs

Thanks, only shooting bowling pins or similar so I am sure it will work for that.
Old October 19, 2020, 08:53 PM   #23
Unclenick
Staff

BL-C(2) is canister-grade Western Cannon (WC) 846, a powder first formulated for loading 303 British for the allies in WWII. It turned out to be good in M80 ball (7.62 NATO with 9.5-gram (146.6-grain) bullet) and was kept alive for that. When they were looking for a spherical propellant for M193 ball for the AR, they found WC846 a bit too slow for the 55-grain bullet, so they got some that was made faster burning (same powder but with less surface deterrent concentration). Olin was uncomfortable supplying the same powder number at two different burn rates, so they gave the fast version the WC844 designation.

Despite being a bit slow for the 55-grain bullets in 223, BL-C(2) will shoot them. It just takes more charge weight and burns less completely. It will play nicely with heavier bullets like the 69s, though.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle