The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 21, 2022, 12:49 PM   #26
stinkeypete

Lock it? No way! We haven’t discussed which is better for bear protection!
Old May 23, 2022, 08:20 AM   #27
pathdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkeypete View Post
Lock it? No way! We haven’t discussed which is better for bear protection!

Depends. Is it true what they say about the Judge being proofed for .454 Casull?
Old May 23, 2022, 03:06 PM   #28
wild cat mccane

Since the Taurus transfer bar was mentioned, i have the unstoppable need to mention it is a problem on the Ruger too. They CAN pound themselves until break. You can check by looking at it.

Always amazing how you can online search, get great feedback, and find a known problem from owners.

Good call on the 686. Best option for a shooter. I think it looks the best too.
Old May 24, 2022, 12:02 AM   #29
rc

Prel lock S&Ws are nice but the post S&W lock Rugers are better!
Old June 27, 2022, 09:12 PM   #30
pathdoc

Still trying to find .357 ammo locally, but took the little Wrangler out to the range on the weekend.

Observations:
1) This is my first revolver, my first single-action revolver and my first gate-loader all in one. Little things to learn abounded, like making sure the chambers line up with the ejector rod (hold the gun up and look at the front of the cylinder as you punch the rod back and forth) and that the cartridges are seated all the way in (else the cylinder can lock up).

2) Slow as it is to load and unload, the best thing about this little gun is not having to hunt for the cases on the ground. (Next to no recoil is also good.) Next time, I'm going to bring a bucket with me so that I can rid my hands of the empties quickly and responsibly without needing to pick them up once more from the place I put them all.

3) My cleaning rod, which seems perfect for my .22 rifles, doesn't want to push a patch more than an inch down the barrel. Do I need something smaller, or should I be using a pull-through?

4) I shoot like garbage with this gun, even at 15ft. We all know what the only cure for that is, don't we?
Old June 27, 2022, 09:36 PM   #31
Onward Allusion

I can offer advice on the 357. Forget the 7 round and go with the 8 round 608.

I have 3 of the 608s and also reload. I have the 4" which I chopped off the compensator & turned it into 3". Got the 6" in shiny SS and finally the 8 3/4" in matte SS. That one gets interesting looks at the range. Shooting 38's in 'em is almost as light as 22LR due to the amount of metal on them.

The trigger on 'em are smooth as any S&W. I own the S&W 627, too - so I can honestly say that the triggers are comparable.
Old June 27, 2022, 09:44 PM   #32
pathdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward Allusion View Post
I can offer advice on the 357. Forget the 7 round and go with the 8 round 608.

I have 3 of the 608s and also reload. I have the 4" which I chopped off the compensator & turned it into 3". Got the 6" in shiny SS and finally the 8 3/4" in matte SS. That one gets interesting looks at the range. Shooting 38's in 'em is almost as light as 22LR due to the amount of metal on them.

The trigger on 'em are smooth as any S&W. I own the S&W 627, too - so I can honestly say that the triggers are comparable.
The deed is done. I went with the six-shooter because this is my first centrefire revolver and I want to keep things simple and understandable. My mental model is set up for six rounds. Canada being what it is, this will be solely a range gun.