The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 8, 2018, 05:26 AM   #51
moosemike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzgun View Post
Hey Mike. That's cool! Is the slide easy for her to rack? Any jams or probs of any kind?
She racked it easily enough. She did have two jams which she cleared. That surprised me as the pistol has never jammed for me. But I had just cleaned it.
Old May 8, 2018, 05:27 AM   #52
moosemike

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkstrm View Post
How about a Jennies J-22? Anyone have one? I have one for like 30 years got it new for $49.00. It always works & shoots good. Not bad for junk.
Had one for close to twenty years. It was reliable with Stingers.
Old May 8, 2018, 08:03 AM   #53
hetuglur

I paid 100 for an essentially NIB model in blue with a holster. Despite the legion of vociferous raven haters, my gun is a nice wee beastie with nary a FTF or FTE and is surprisingly accurate within its intended range.
Old May 8, 2018, 05:59 PM   #54
Jazzgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemike View Post
She racked it easily enough. She did have two jams which she cleared. That surprised me as the pistol has never jammed for me. But I had just cleaned it.
haha! Mine is harder to rack after cleaning too. Why is that? What do you clean it with. I had Seal One recommended to me. Have you tried that? I love my little Raven more and more every day. Hopefully we will make it to the range this weekend as planned. I'll let you know how it does.
Old May 8, 2018, 06:36 PM   #55
Oysterboy

I remember when I lost my Raven in a pawn shop but I saw an FIE Titan 25 in black and hammer fired. I bought it and that was a good pistol. I carried mine with a round in the pipe and half cocked.

Old May 8, 2018, 07:02 PM   #56
Jazzgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oysterboy View Post
I remember when I lost my Raven in a pawn shop but I saw an FIE Titan 25 in black and hammer fired. I bought it and that was a good pistol. I carried mine with a round in the pipe and half cocked.
Oysterboy.... that looks a lot like my Phoenix Arms HP22. They make it in a .25 cal too. They look almost identical. Is that a "Ring of Fire" gun too? Phoenix Arms used to make the Raven after Raven Arms burned down in 1991.
Old May 8, 2018, 07:48 PM   #57
Oysterboy

I don't know what a "Ring of Fire" gun is.
Old May 9, 2018, 01:45 AM   #58
Jazzgun

"Ring of Fire" was what they called the companies in California that specialized in making the Saturday Night Specials concealed carry guns after Bobby Kennedy was assassinated in 1968 and they banned the importation of these types of gun. I'm pretty sure it started with Raven Arms, around 1970 but the factory burned down in 1991. It spawned a number of other factories in California. It's an interesting read if you have an extra couple of minutes.

Ring of Fire

Also, your gun is an Italian import so it wasn't a ring of fire gun but it looks almost identical to the Phoenix Arms HP22.
Old May 9, 2018, 02:42 AM   #59
Oysterboy

Hah, interesting. I remember RG which was known as one of the Saturday Night Specials. I had an RG10 which actually shot every time.
Old May 9, 2018, 05:32 AM   #60
CajunBass

I tell this story all the time, so a lot of you have probably read it. Too bad, I'm going to tell it again anyway.

When I was a youngster, not long turned 21, I was married, living in a cheap apartment, had a car payment, utilities and such and I wanted a handgun for "home defense" in the worst way. The problem was I had no money. A Raven or a RG 22 revolver sold for about $30.00, and I couldn't scrape that together. I tried putting a couple of dollars a week away, but something always came up before I could save the $30.00, or whatever it actually was.

So I never got one. By the time I was able to afford a handgun, I was doing better, and it was a Smith & Wesson (big shock to those who've been around here I'm sure).

But I've always had a warm spot for RG's and Ravens. If nothing else, they kept the dream alive. I could look into the case at the GEM store and think, "one day."

I did come close to buying a Raven many years later. I stopped in a Pawn Shop in Fredericksburg, Va., and they had a blue/black Raven, in the box. It had white grips, some "engraving" (VERY generous use of the word) on the slide. They wanted $99.00 for it. I didn't even ask to see it. Kinda wish now that I had.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old May 9, 2018, 02:42 PM   #61
Jazzgun

Cajun Bass ....

Quote:
But I've always had a warm spot for RG's and Ravens. If nothing else, they kept the dream alive. I could look into the case at the GEM store and think, "one day."
It was interesting to read your comment about the Raven about always wanting one but never getting it. I was the same way about the little gun. I grew up with guns and never thought a lot about them other than we had them for home defense and target practice. They were mostly rifles, shotguns and revolvers. No exotic collector's guns in my family. We didn't think a lot about them.

But still, every time I saw a Raven I was tempted to buy it. Only the chrome plated ones with the pearl grips appealed to me. They were always cheap and I didn't even know if they would shoot. But they had an appeal that I can't explain. Maybe comparing them to fishnet stockings or Evening in Paris perfume (cheapest stuff ever made), just 'something forbidden' might be somewhat of an explanation. I can't even recall where exactly I saw them because I didn't go to pawn shops and places like that. And when I did see one I never even asked to see it or hold it. But secretly I always looked back and wished I had.

And so now, many years later, I finally own a Raven. And it is shiny chrome with the original pearl handles. It lives in it's original box with original manual. Sometimes I take it out and just hold it. Or I lay it beside me on the table and just admire the beauty and simplicity of it and I think about George Jennings, the founder of Raven Arms, and marvel about the genius of his invention. The beautiful little inexpensive and small handgun that became known as the first Saturday Night Special. It's like a little jewel to me.

Last night I ordered some new grips for my S&W 360. I just felt like dressing it up a little and so I ordered some white pearl grips. I doubt that I will like the way they feel but at least it won't be so boring. It's the J Frame with the round butt and currently just has the standard black 3 finger grips. It lives in the bedroom on my nightstand.

We had a home invasion where I live just about a month ago. Single woman living alone forgot to put her garage door down. She's very lucky to be alive. The cops caught the perps and had a shoot out with them.

My good friend's daughter, who lived only a mile from me, wasn't so lucky. She was brutally murdered in her home 3 years ago. They finally caught the perpetrator and it was just a horrible senseless murder. She died a horrible death. She had no weapon. Nothing to defend herself with.

I believe every woman (and man) should have a gun and should know how to shoot it.

My .38 makes me feel safe. The Raven is just for fun. Next on the list is the AR 15.

Just some random thoughts ....
Old May 11, 2018, 12:35 PM   #62
Jbar4Ranch

My daughter outgrew her pink plastic play heels from Walmart, so they got made into pimp grips.

SASS 47015
Old May 12, 2018, 01:52 AM   #63
Jazzgun

Jbar....those are cute! Very innovative!

Old May 12, 2018, 05:57 AM   #64
kingknives

I was going through a rough time in 1982, and the only gun I had was a Raven .25 that my dad gave me. It was better than walking around empty handed.

I recently picked up a Bauer copy of the baby Browning, cut little gun, but I’ll stick to my NAA .22 mag for my bug to my bug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 18, 2018, 01:10 PM   #65
btreanor

I had one just like that! ^^^^^

It shot to the sights and functioned every time! I only sold it because of the cost of the ammo and I got tired shooting it.