The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old May 11, 2018, 09:12 AM   #1
FITASC

The Surprisingly Solid Mathematical Case of the Tin Foil Hat Gun Prepper

Quote:
Or, “Who Needs an AR-15 Anyway?”
https://medium.com/s/story/the-surpr...r-15fce7d10437

While long, it makes a good case for being a prepper and why a rifle should be part of the preparation

Quote:
There’s a common misconception in the media about the eventuality for which the preppers are exactly prepping. That’s because they’re a diverse group, and prep for many different things. No, they aren’t planning for a revolution to overthrow the government. (Most of them, anyway.) Mostly they’re planning to keep themselves and their families safe while someone else tries to overthrow the government
Quote:
Pretend you’re someone with your eyes on the horizon. What would you be looking for, exactly? Increasing partisanship. Civil disorder. Coup rhetoric. A widening wealth gap. A further entrenching oligarchy. Dysfunctional governance. The rise of violent extremist ideologies such as Nazism and Communism. Violent street protests. People marching with masks and dressing like the Italian Blackshirts. Attempts at large scale political assassination. Any one of those might not necessarily be the canary in the coal mine, but all of them in aggregate might be alarming to someone with their eyes on the horizon. Someone with disproportionate faith in the state is naturally inclined to disregard these sorts of events as a cognitive bias, while someone with little faith in the state might take these signs to mean they should buy a few more boxes of ammunition.
Anyone seeing some of these signs in our country?

While I can't afford the uber-secure bunkers the Hollywood types are building, I guess I'll pick up a few more boxes of ammo......
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 11, 2018, 09:28 AM   #2
BarryLee

Sadly it would be difficult for an individual or even a small group of individuals to defend against any kind of major uprising. However, many of us may find ourselves in a short term situation like a natural disaster. So, there is some logic in preparing with food, water and basic supplies for a few weeks of survival.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 11, 2018, 09:59 AM   #3
Evan Thomas

Closed as off-topic for us. We don't do SHTF threads here.