The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old January 24, 2006, 04:25 AM   #1
glockopop

Beanbags for HD

Am I crazy to consider this? I was thinking, for home defense, have the first one or two in the tube be beanbags and the rest 00 buck. I really don't want to kill anyone, but I will if I have to. I'm told that beanbags are strong enough to break bones at close range, and the longest distance I could shoot in my apartment is about 10 feet.
Old January 24, 2006, 04:38 AM   #2
chaim

Do not do this under any circumstances.

In most states (if not all) using less lethal ammuntion in your shotgun causes major liability and legal issues for us non-law enforcement types. If you pull the trigger of your shotgun, regardless of the ammo, it will be considered the use of lethal force. You can only use lethal force when you have no choice. If you are using less lethal (no such thing as non-lethal weapons/ammo) options, it may be hard to convince a DA or jury that you needed to use lethal force.

If you feel the need to have non-lethal/less lethal options for home defense I strongly suggest keeping a can of pepper spray or a stun gun/taser next to your home defense guns.
Old January 24, 2006, 11:16 AM   #3
KC135

Leave less lethal bean bags shells to those who have been trained

I have had some bean bag training, and bean bags do not even deploy properly at 10 feet.

If fired at center of mass, death will likely result.
Old January 24, 2006, 12:41 PM   #4
glockopop

Well I'm glad I asked. I guess I'll just stick to buck. I know I can shoot it well and that it'll do the job. Thanks for the info, y'all.
Old January 24, 2006, 12:47 PM   #5
BigFunWMU

There is nothing wrong with not wanting to kill someone. However, less lethal rounds are also less effective. Have you seen the video of the guy in front of a mall or something like that with a samauri sword? He takes 5 or 6 bean bags, and just keeps on trucking.

Or the Jackass guys? They shoot one of them and after a couple seconds, he is laughing and walking around.

If you have a real need to stop a BG, use "real" ammo.

I don't really want to kill someone either. But if my life is on the line (what it takes for the gun to be out anyway) I want something that I know will stop the threat.
Old January 24, 2006, 05:06 PM   #6
mete

Change your state of mind ! I f you have to pull the trigger it won't be a game , it will be a fight for your life !! You'll be very embarrassed if your using beans and he's using real bullets .
Old January 24, 2006, 05:15 PM   #7
Bender711

yes shoot to kill, right now you might not want to kill any one, but if you happen to be in a situation in which you are fightting for your life killing will be the only thing that youll want to do.
Old January 24, 2006, 07:27 PM   #8
OneInTheChamber

If it warrents pulling the trigger, pull it like you mean it and don't stop until he is no longer a threat. Don't shoot him once and then take cover to see if he'll reconsider and walk out.

you'll notice when LEO shoot a guy with a bean bag, there's atleast a couple officers next to him with .223's or 12's pointed at the BG. Unless you have that in your house, get the most lethal and (in your case) less penetrating ammo you can buy (because the guy next door to you in the apartment won't like getting shot at either).
Old January 24, 2006, 10:59 PM   #9
glockopop

I don't actually have neighbors next to me, they're above me, and the nearest occupied building (after 11pm) is a block away on each side. I'm not real worried about using buckshot. I just put an FN police shotgun on layaway today, (wanted to get a New Haven 1300 while I still could) so it should be better for HD than the old mossberg with a 28" vent rib I just traded for it.
Old January 25, 2006, 07:46 PM   #10
Mannlicher

Am I crazy to consider this?

.......pretty much, yes.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Closed Thread