The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 16, 1998, 05:26 PM   #1
Bottom Gun

What's the best carry gun for a lady?
Old October 16, 1998, 06:15 PM   #2
Rob Pincus

There is no difference between men and women when it comes to this question.
Old October 16, 1998, 06:44 PM   #3

Women tend to be very intuitive about this sort of thing. Look at the size of her hands. Take her to a gun shop or a friend whose collection offers a good variety of sizes. Let her put a series of different guns in her hands. She'll tell you which one feels the best. Don't prompt her, let her take her time. Then take her out to shoot what she identified as the 3 best feeling pieces. Odds are she'll probably shoot the first choice much better than any of the others, all other things being equal. I've observed that the Browning Hi-Power with Pachmyar grips seems to have a good female following, especially for those with smallish (comparatively speaking) hands. I've also noticed a predilection for the Taurus 2-1/2 .44Spl snubby, which seems idiosyncratic, but I've never professed to understand women. If she tends to be recoil shy, look for a similar shape/design in a less powerful cartridge. This isn't a guaranteed thing, but heck, most of us guys have gone thru a plethora of guns and a series of favorites. Any additional comments, Ladies?

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited 10-16-98).]
Old October 16, 1998, 06:50 PM   #4
Kodiac

I took my wife to get a gun... There were several I thought she would like... She looked at every gun at Green Top (the biggest gun shop in VA) and picked the Kahr LADY Kahr. To me its almost a mouse gun... but she loves it and is a crack shot with it. Makes me swell with pride... I don't moan when dinner is not on the table when I get home anymore...

[This message has been edited by Kodiac (edited 10-16-98).]
Old October 16, 1998, 06:51 PM   #5

Oh, by the way, if she does get the gun, make sure you plan for several outings on a periodic basis, where she can shoot it. So she makes you look bad by shooting better than you, no big deal. You'll rest easier knowing you've got competent back-up or point, depending on how she associates her maternal instincts with pre-emptive defense.
Old October 16, 1998, 07:13 PM   #6
DC
Moderator Emeritus

For me its my 1911A1, given to me by Dad when I left home for college. I was 17 at the time. However I'm atypical, having grown up on a farm, been around guns all my life, and had a father who felt that it was Mother Nature's job to enforce gender differences, not his
Old October 17, 1998, 11:11 AM   #7
Gino

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume we are talking about a women who is not already an active shooter. If we are talking about a gun for a novice shooter (male or female) for self defense, I favor a revolver. Simple and reliable.

Gino
Old October 20, 1998, 09:28 AM   #8
4V50
Retired Screen Name

Depends on what SHE feels most comfortable and confident with.

Guns are pretty neutral and don't distinguish the gender of its user. It is a matter of giving a woman enough time and practice to find what she prefers. i.e., caliber, revolver v. semiauto, DA v. SA, etc.
Old October 20, 1998, 03:44 PM   #9
Donna

I have to agree with Rob. I carry a Colt Commander and sometimes my 70 series.
Old October 21, 1998, 12:32 PM   #10
ShadedDude

For small type stuff my wife likes
the North American Arms mini .22

Have to say...I like it too!

Its really small, your not going to be doing any long range shooting, but with a little practice you can become acceptably accurate.
Its very small and easy to conceal. We dont use them as every day carry guns, but for those hot summer days when your wearing shorts and a t-shirt they are great!
Old October 21, 1998, 04:17 PM   #11
Nestor Rivera

If it is to be a carry weapon, and the person is recoil adverse the S&W Airlite ( or is it airweight) 22lr is very nice 9 shots of 22 using Hi-Shock Pre-fragmented rounds shoud disuade most threats. other wise a S&W Model 10 with Softlead WC is a good choice for light recoil but weighs a bit more.

Old October 22, 1998, 08:54 PM   #12
Ed Brunner

I know a number of ladies who really like the Browning HP.

Old September 14, 2005, 06:40 PM   #13
Guns Is Are Da Good

Me and my best friend are locksmiths. One would completly underestimate the danger of this job. The thing is, you deal with people. One on one with people. We work 12 hour shifts, noon to midnight. And one night a week, we work noon to six in the morning. I of course was lucky enough to pull friday, so you can imagine the kind of fools I have to deal with. Anyhoo, we go into some dark places, and deal with some shaddai people, many of who do not want to pay us for our services after the job is completled. We also carry large amounts of cash on us. Im 6'6'', 250lbs. Im into boxing, and lifting weights. I can more then handle myself, but I must admit, there are many places I would not have gotten out of my car at, had I not had my trusty firearm on me. I normally carry a glock model .22. My favorite weapon, I was a .45 man, but fell in love with the .40 round due to its perfect balance of penatration and knock down power. For this job I wanted something more concealable, so I wouldnt get 20,000 questions from customers. So I bought a Taurus Total Titanium .38 special in which I carry +P ammunition in. Anyways, as to the part dealing with your question. My sister is engaged to my best friend and fellow locksmith. He packs a glock, but she never has packed. She'd only fired a gun once, and it had scared her half to death. She's 20 years old, and about 5'6'' 118lbs. She's small. All the normal sized caliber's detered her. And even the smallest sized glock and hk's were to big for her. She felt stupid carrying around somthing that big when she was so small. It was impossible for her to conceal. So me and my friend went and got her a Berretta Tomcat .32, and she fell in love. She'd never had an interest in guns, and when she recieved her new weapon she told us she'd always wondered how we could sit around and admire our weapons for hours, but now she understood. She went from having no interest in carrying a firearm, to refusing to leave home without it. And she's been in a harry situation or two so far, that has made her glad she has it. I sleep better at night, and so does my friend knowing that even if something happens to him, she still has a chance to defend herself. Some down the caliber and velocity of the small gun, however, when I chambered it with those little Corbon's and poped a couple rounds off, I quickly realized anyone at the other end of that barrel, would have a real bad day real fast. Berretta Tomcat .32. Reliable, small but fierce, and affordable. Thats my recommendation for your girl.
Old September 14, 2005, 07:27 PM   #14
dairycreek

I have four daughters! When they were growing up I gave them the opportunity to become competent shooters - which they all did. When it came to them having their own handgun I could never make a selection for them. I just couldn't get it right - ever. When I saw the light and let them make their own choices things went a lot better. Of course each daughter made the correct choice

GOOD SHOOTING
Old September 14, 2005, 09:10 PM   #15
harbinger

Anybody know the record for the oldest thread brought back to life?
Old September 14, 2005, 09:19 PM   #16
Pezo

I JUST CAUGHT THE FACT THAT THIS THREAD WAS STATED IN 1998. MAN I THINK BY NOW SHE MADE A DECISION. DARN
Old September 15, 2005, 12:30 AM   #17
Hayley

"Everything old is new again" btw, my wife has a 431pd S&W, although she doesn't yet carry. I really liked the 432pd with the Crimson Trace laser wraparound grip but she likes having a single action option.
Old September 15, 2005, 09:41 AM   #18
Doug.38PR

S&W .38 Special Ladysmith. I'm told that's why they are called that because they are an ideal gun for a lady to carry
Old September 15, 2005, 10:20 AM   #19
Webleymkv

Women are individuals and will like different things. That said, many (my mom included) seem to like a revolver. Also, many make up their mind on whether it "looks good" to them. This is why we have Lady Smith revolvers and Semi's and pink (among other colors) Kel-Tecs.
Old September 15, 2005, 10:22 AM   #20
Webleymkv

Women are individuals and will like different things. That said, many (my mom included) seem to like a revolver. Also, many make up their mind on whether it "looks good" to them. This is why we have Lady Smith revolvers and Semi's and pink (among other colors) Kel-Tecs. BTW, why does one feel the need to go so far back in the archives to post about this?
Old September 15, 2005, 10:33 AM   #21
Hard Ball

My wife is quite fond of her SIG P220.
Old September 15, 2005, 06:23 PM   #22
Bullrock

You did say 'Lady' This one wouldn't be bad. It's pretty, dainty, and ain't a man's gun.

Last edited by Bullrock; October 9, 2005 at 05:55 PM.
Old September 15, 2005, 06:58 PM   #23
Topthis

Um...then why do you have one Bullrock, or should I ask? LOL!!
Old September 15, 2005, 08:19 PM   #24
Ozzieman

Easy one to answer

1. What fits there hand
2. What there comfortable to carry
3. What they can shoot well
4. The best of the above that they can afford.
I have a friend thats 5 foor 1 and weights less than 100 LB and she carries a Kimber Royal carry in 45 ACP.
I have a friend who is 6 foot 4 somthing and weighs above 200 lb and carries a Charter arms 38 stubnoes.
Old September 15, 2005, 08:57 PM   #25
Pezo

"whats old is new again" got the hint. this topic is for resource. individuals need to try various types of firearms before making a decision in most cases. I beleive the .38/.357 mag revo system to be very good.