The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 15, 2012, 11:44 AM   #301
No_Use_

I didn't mean to hurt you, this is not what I want to do, you have a real nice collection of badass looking guns, but it would be more logic to have some of them shoot 9mm, .223 ou 308 etc.

like you said, it's your money and I respect that!

I'm still a noob to guns but I try to have different caliber to play with
Old November 15, 2012, 11:52 AM   #302
defcon

Quote:
I didn't mean to hurt you, this is not what I want to do, you have a real nice collection of badass looking guns, but it would be more logic to have some of them shoot 9mm, .223 ou 308 etc.

like you said, it's your money and I respect that!

I'm still a noob to guns but I try to have different caliber to play with
dont worry. im not butt hurt. i get these types of negative comments a lot for doing something different. im used to it. just understand where im coming from and how many hours of fabrication it takes to create these custom dress up kits.

anyone with money can easily go buy a gun. id ask that same person to try making one of these conversions for himself or their kids. its not meant to be serious. its fun, addicting and you take pride into making something unique.

it would be nice to have them shoot higher calibers but i honestly dont think the dress up kits will stand up to the harder recoil which would make it unsafe. a .22LR is perfectly fine for these conversions. also i cant complain shooting 500 rounds for $15-$20. my wallet doesnt hurt as much compared to buying 500 rounds of .223 or 12 ga
Old November 15, 2012, 12:00 PM   #303
No_Use_

You know, in some kind of way I am jaleous, truly

I live in canada so I know what is it to deal with the law restrictions!

props to you
Old November 15, 2012, 12:05 PM   #304
defcon

thanks..

ive read that you guys can get the TAR21. its not out here in the states yet.

so i get these looks and compliments when im shooting the .22LR TAR21 at the range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al8dGT2uWr0
Old November 15, 2012, 12:12 PM   #305
No_Use_

Don't talk to me about the Tavor... damn god I would love to buy one if I had the cash on hand right now!

And it's not even restricted, so I would be able to shoot it where I want (wood, field)... AR here is restricted so I can only use mine at the range.

Maybe one day!!! It would make a friend to my Core15 rifle

A bit pricy tho... 2700$
Old November 15, 2012, 12:14 PM   #306
defcon

My .22LR TAR21 conversion cost me only $100 plus a $70 Marlin 60 tube fed.
Total $170 for a clone. How much is the real thing? $2300+?
Old November 15, 2012, 12:33 PM   #307
No_Use_

Like I said it turn on 2700$ more or less here... so expect to pay just a little more then 2k$ if it make is way to you down there.

Gunguys love this rifle, the only downside is the gas ejecting in the face for some people.

Well balanced, short and ergonomic, light, what to ask more!
Old November 15, 2012, 12:50 PM   #308
the rifleer

How do people respond at the range when they see those .22's?
Old November 15, 2012, 01:01 PM   #309
defcon

Quote:
How do people respond at the range when they see those .22's?
reactions are definitely priceless and hilarious. its something you definitely dont expect to see at the range. if you shoot with me or when i bring my friends, family and/or coworkers, i usually tell them to just watch people's facial reactions at the range.

1) kids are staring at them asking their dads/uncles if they can shoot them.
2) first time and new shooters are staring, taking pictures, complimenting, etc
3) average shooters typically say theyre awesome, cool, positive comments
4) vietnam/iraq veterans/military think theyre awesome and would love to have a .22 version of the rifle they carried during their service.
5) teenagers/COD gamers are telling me how badass or tacticool it is, .50 cal this, sniper that, haha
6) range officers and serious long range shooters are mixed reactions with cool, funny or disappointed.

i havent had any negative comments in person. just the internets.

usually people and the range officers are nervous because they see me strolling in with my gun cart with the Barrett M82 and M200 Cheytac. had a couple of times where the range officers ask me if if its a real .50 ::weird:: and if i can shoot on the far end of the range due to the expected muzzle blast

i then tell them theyre all .22 conversions using a Ruger 10/22 and Marlins then i just see a mix of relief or sigh. then they think its cool because theyve never seen anything like it. its all smiles and grin from ear to ear. range officers, shooters and spectators just come up to me to chat and take a closer look at all my conversions. had a few kids, range officers, other shooters and a sheriff shoot my conversions. they all had fun and think theyre cool which makes me happy that theyre able to enjoy my creations.

usually the "serious" long precision shooters that came up to me were disappointed theyre not the real thing but they think its funny and cool afterwards. i usually get casual jokes from them about it being too heavy to shoot squirrels. i mean just as long as theyre not being a douche/snob about it then we're cool. i expected this type of reaction from them anyways. i guess its hard to be fun and serious at the same time?

Last edited by defcon; November 15, 2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old November 15, 2012, 03:22 PM   #310
Metal god

I just watched the video of you or somebody shooting the Tar. I noticed 4 feed jams or FTF out of 14 or so rounds . Not to change the subject but you seem like the perfect guy to ask this . Is that normal for the model 60 ? I know you have many of them so you would know how reliable they are . I have a older model 60 and it hates bulk ammo . Mine jams at least that much unless I use CCI mini mags or better . Is the model 60 and the 10/22 about the same when it comes to jamming or ammo issues ? Does one stand out one way or the other ?

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 15, 2012, 03:58 PM   #311
defcon

Quote:
I just watched the video of you or somebody shooting the Tar. I noticed 4 feed jams or FTF out of 14 or so rounds . Not to change the subject but you seem like the perfect guy to ask this . Is that normal for the model 60 ? I know you have many of them so you would know how reliable they are . I have a older model 60 and it hates bulk ammo . Mine jams at least that much unless I use CCI mini mags or better . Is the model 60 and the 10/22 about the same when it comes to jamming or ammo issues ? Does one stand out one way or the other ?
thats me shootin the TAR21

ive read that its normal on rimfirecentral.com. its my first time using the older Marlin 60's and i was using Winchester 555 bulk packs that night. ive read that the most common FTF/FTE is due to the 2 piece feed throat, tight front screws, burrs inside the receiver, dirty feed throat, ejector spring is too high or out of position and/or bulk ammo

ill be using CCI next range trip this weekend and made those fixes to my other Marlin 60 conversions to see if it'll help

my 10/22 jams because of some bulk ammo. its expected

Last edited by defcon; November 15, 2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old November 15, 2012, 06:13 PM   #312
jjyergler

I don't care what anyone else says:

Your stuff is awesome!
Hi Standard Supermatic Citation .22LR - Tincans Beware
Old November 15, 2012, 10:18 PM   #313
hermanpj

EBR and friends

Below are my EBR and friends

EBR is a Black Rain Ordinance 5.56MM. Black Rain upper and lower, Black Rain flash suppresor. Adams Arms Piston system and 16 in barrell 1in 9 twist. Midwest Industries quadrail (delta ring, not free float), Eotech XPS2-2 sight, YHM BUIS, BCM gunfighter charging handle, Timney trigger, too many goodies to mention them all. Great shooting gun. Very accurate w 55 gr to 62 grain. Still accurate w heavier rounds, just not quite as good.

On top of that is my Springfield M1A Loaded w Leupold scope. Now sporting a shimmed gas system, sadlak guide rod, sadlak piston. Unitized gas system going in for Xmas. Shooting 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards w reloaded 168 grains!

Below those two is my Weatherby SA-459 TK. This is the tactical turkey model, which is 2 inches longer than the SA-459 Threat Response. It is 12 ga, shoots 2 3/4 or 3 inch, 19.5 in barrel that supports chokes - full choke is on it. Vortex Strikefire red dot sight on top of it with ghost ring rear and AR-style front sight w red fiber. I have added a mag tube extension by Choate, a Tacstar shell carrier, and I re-painted it black from its original mothwing mimicry camo (which came off after exposure to DEET).

NRA Member|Texas State Rifle Association Member| Texas Concealed Handgun License holder|Springfield M1A Loaded|Kimber Super Carry Pro .45 ACP|Weatherby SA 459 12 ga|Black Rain+Adams Arms Piston AR15|Beretta 92FS| CZ Dan Wesson ECO 9MM| Ruger 10/22
Old November 24, 2012, 05:07 PM   #314
MikeGunz

Old November 24, 2012, 05:40 PM   #315
Moby

Long Range AR 10 .308

Up close and personal same weapon

And YES Defcon, I like .22LR clones too!!!!!
Mine just arn't as cool as yours.

“A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” ~George Washington
US Coast Guard 76-86 Semper Paratus

Last edited by Moby; November 24, 2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old November 24, 2012, 05:44 PM   #316
cslinger

DEFCON,

Count me among the folks who think that is a wicked cool hobby. I love em'

Did you simply use Airsoft bodies and fabricate them around the Ruger/Marlin whatever .22 actions and barrels?

Thanks
Chris
Old November 24, 2012, 06:21 PM   #317
defcon

Quote:
DEFCON,

Count me among the folks who think that is a wicked cool hobby. I love em'

Did you simply use Airsoft bodies and fabricate them around the Ruger/Marlin whatever .22 actions and barrels?
yes sir. just gutted airsoft bodies. its the closest thing to a 1:1 scale replica of the real centerfire version. also most come in full metal.
Old November 24, 2012, 09:11 PM   #318
defcon

.22LR Magpul FMG9 using a Marlin 60.

Its a gutted airsoft stock and dropped in the .22 action/barrel

95% done. finished fitting it. now i have to figure out how to close it and make it secure.

it wont fold anymore. stock is fixed

41" OAL
22" barrel length

things to do:
1) the trigger guard is too short so i have to create an extension or just create a new one
2) it doesnt close all the way so i need to figure out how to close the upper part of the FMG9 to the lower part. probably will create a bracket and screw it on 3 sides
3) add Devcon steel putty on both sides of the fake can to keep it snug around the Marlin 60 barrel/tube
4) add MBUS sights
5) use a smaller EOTECH red dot clone

_MG_4290 by defconskylude, on Flickr

_MG_4291 by defconskylude, on Flickr

_MG_4287 by defconskylude, on Flickr

_MG_4289 by defconskylude, on Flickr
Old November 25, 2012, 12:01 AM   #319
Corrections Cop

Pretty sweet Defcon, as usual!
Old November 25, 2012, 10:18 PM   #320
tdawg

S&W M&P15 Sport

Out of the box:

Upgraded:

I'd planned to change out the stock, but right now I'm having no issues with the basic stock.
Old November 28, 2012, 02:51 AM   #321
moose fat

CMMG, .22 LR upper on my Bushmaster lower;

Old November 28, 2012, 11:45 AM   #322
Taptap

Just mounted my Burris Tac30 1-4x scope.

Last edited by Taptap; November 29, 2012 at 05:23 AM.
Old November 30, 2012, 08:56 PM   #323
Sweet Shooter

This is my M400, my tack driving AR. Today it's worst was 1.5 MOA with a 50 mph wind gusting at my back. I love this rifle.

-SS-

Last edited by Sweet Shooter; December 18, 2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old November 30, 2012, 10:46 PM   #324
proxpilot

just picked up my first one last night!!
Old December 1, 2012, 02:45 AM   #325
Apom

Im just getting ready to build my first AR. The only AR I have ever owned. I am extremely jealous of everyone's ebrs. I must go now into a dark corner and weep.