The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 17, 2014, 09:16 PM   #1
Petespacking

Anyone notice any wear with coated bullets?

I've been reloading for close to forty years and have always used jacked and lead bullets for handguns. I have been seeing more of the coated bullets for sale at gun show and some gun stores. The concept intrigues me and I'd like to give them a try. Has anyone noticed any wear in your rifling, feed ramps or forcing cones? Any comments good or bad would be appreciated. Thanks
Old July 17, 2014, 09:55 PM   #2
Vance

I have coated with powder coating paint. I haven't noticed any extra wear anywhere. I also haven't noticed any performance benefits either. I wasn't getting any leading from traditionally lubed cast bullets and was getting great accuracy. With the coated bullets, I get no leading and accuracy was almost as good after adjusting my powder charge.

Powder coating takes too much of my time for little benefit, so I went back to using White Label Lubes carnuba red.
Old July 17, 2014, 10:36 PM   #3
jaysouth

No wear or any powder coat left in the barrel.

I also agree with Vance's observations. I dry tumble then cure bullets @400 degrees for 10 minutes. The advantage to me is that I don't have to lube or gas check bullets for shooting in the 1,400 to 1,700 range that gives me good accuracy for range work.

A properly cast, lubed and gas checked lead bullet is the optimum bullet for inside 200 yards on medium sized game like deer and pigs. The damage that they do is incredible. For range plinking, I get lazy and do the powder coat of wheel weight or softer alloy.
Old July 17, 2014, 10:46 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

The only complaint that I have seen was....

A guy that shot 12,500 PC'd bullets in his competition Glock. He was moaning like a pregnant nun about the wear and tear the coated bullets caused, and claiming that they had ruined his barrel.
...But after a few members dug a little deeper and called him on round counts claimed in previous posts, he admitted that that barrel had 65k rounds through it before he even tried the coated bullets.
Old July 17, 2014, 11:20 PM   #5
skizzums

I dont see how a polyester coated lead bullets could cause ANY wear on a hardened steel barrell. It's so soft I can scratch my fingernail into it, its essential a very soft, malleable plastic. I'm not buying the glock guys story. I can't think of any monomer or polymer that could hurt steel.

On the plus side, its cool to hear that people are selling coated bullets. I am really looking forward to PC being commercialized. The only problem I see with powder coating is consistency and leading under high speed. In pistol rounds, I find its greatest thing since sliced bread.
Old July 18, 2014, 12:12 AM   #6
Nick_C_S

I've tried 'em. SNS coated 148 DEWC's for 38 Special.

They seem fine, except for one major drawback IMO - the smell!

They smell like burning electrical insulation when they go off; it's just awful. It's a deal-breaker for me. I bought 1000 of them. About 960 of them have been sitting on my shelf for many months now.

To be clear: This is not a dig at SNS Bullets. I use their non-coated hard cast DEWC's all the time. They have lots of great products. Have good prices. And are really good about getting your stuff to you right away. An excellent company. Just want to put that out there.
Old July 18, 2014, 09:23 AM   #7
Vance

Maybe SNS will let you trade the coated bullets for non-coated bullets? Won't hurt to ask. That is just money tied up in a product you aren't using.
Old July 18, 2014, 01:24 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I dont see how a polyester coated lead bullets could cause ANY wear on a hardened steel barrell. It's so soft I can scratch my fingernail into it, its essential a very soft, malleable plastic. I'm not buying the glock guys story. I can't think of any monomer or polymer that could hurt steel.
That's exactly the point.
The barrel was worn out before he even tried the PC'd bullets.
He:
A) wasn't paying attention and was unaware of the barrel's condition,
or
B) had old lead deposits scoured out by the PC'd bullets, making the condition more apparent.

...and,
C) was a cheapskate that continued whining about replacing his barrel, even with over 75k rounds through it. ($7,000 worth of ammo wasn't a problem, but a $300 barrel was... )
Old July 18, 2014, 01:30 PM   #9
oldpapps

Catch all response.

Polyester is very, very slick. I have found that if anything, my barrels are cleaner after firing than before. No observed wear or residue. I am basing my report on my tests with 300 BlackOut loading and 30-06 loadings. The test bullets are 130 grain powder coated cast the I size before and after coating (Don't think these need to be sized both times but I do has a hold over from the process I use with my 'fat' 430 cast 44s.) The 300 Blacks are running 2100 plus FPS and the '06s run 2650 FPS.

I think (a dangerous thing in it's self) some propellants have trouble getting up to pressure to build full pressures and more/stronger neck tension/crimp is needed. This is deducted from my tests with 2400 powder. The same 'no crimp' loads don't get the same velocities as ' medium crimp' loads - tests with 240 grain 44 mags using 2400 powder. The polyester is just slick.

And finally, I'm lazy. For pistol use, velocities less than 1200 FPS, I will continue to buy Missouri Bullet Company product, they do the job very well. For extra heavy/fast pistol loads and rifle loads with lead bullets, I will 'powder coat'.
Added note, I 'shake-n-bake' and some powders don't give me a full pigment coverage My answer to this is 'Clear Polyester Coating'. Full coating and no thin spots of color.

Enjoy while you can,

OSOK
Old July 18, 2014, 04:18 PM   #10
bfoosh006

No extra wear at all.... as a matter of fact, they are much easier on your barrel then any jacketed /plated bullets.

With that said, the coating is not as forgiving as jacketed bullets when you crimp them. It is a simple adjustment, just don't crimp the heck out of them and you should be GTG.

Barrel cleaning is easier.

You also get the added benefit of FAR less smoke compared to conventional lead bullets.

I whole heartedly recommend them.
Old July 18, 2014, 07:55 PM   #11
skizzums

awesome idea, clear coating. i miss the look of my lead bullets, i have several thousands all in HF red and they are just kinda boring. ill be looking for clear
Old July 18, 2014, 08:07 PM   #12
Petespacking

Wow, what a wealth of information! Looks like I'm worrying about nothing and have plenty to gain. I'm going to give them a try and am looking forward to less smoke. Thank you all for the detailed information.
Old July 21, 2014, 10:59 AM   #13
reynolds357

Glock barrels are funny creatures anyway. I shot one out at undr 2000 rounds. Looked like a smooth bore musket. When I called Glock, they all but called me crazy. I sent it to them anyway and it came back with a new barrel. Granted, I have seen Glocks with 25,000+ round count on barrels with no issues. I guess my point is dont make a rule from an isolated incidence.
Old July 21, 2014, 01:07 PM   #14
rrruger

Home made bullet picking tool!
I load .38 special/.357 magnum and have just started powder coating bullets.
After having a number of bullets slip out of the grip of my modified needle nose pliers, I tried something different. I got a very cheap, large (seven inch), tweezer and modified it as a 'bullet picker'. I started about 3/4 inch from the tip and bent the arms out at about 45 degrees. Then I chucked a 3/8 drill bit in the vice and used a small hammer to form the arms around the drill bit shank forming two curved hooks coming together at the point of the tweezer. I filed the ends back enough to prevent them from touching when the tweezer is closed. And finally, I powder coated the tips.
In operation the 3/8 bit is very close to the diameter of the bullet with a layer of powder on it. The tweezer then provides a good grip on a .357 bullet. With the powder coated tips it leaves little to no marks on the bullets. While mine was made for .357 bullets it seems to work equally well from .32-.45 bullets.
I hope this proves to be useful to someone out there!

rrruger

Last edited by rrruger; July 21, 2014 at 04:12 PM.