The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 16, 2012, 09:00 AM   #1
speckrb

Colt MT6700 Comp Match Chamber???

I purchased a Colt Competition Match AR15 last weekend. This is not a 223 vs 5.56 thread, lord knows there is plenty of them and I am aware of the physical differences and said warnings. After verifying on Colt's website the serial number it is indeed verified to be a 1995 MT6700 .223/5.56 NATO. The Barrel is stamped 5.56 1/9 HBAR like it should be. The lower is stamped .223 caliber but no mention of 5.56 on the lower. Is this common and will the MT6700 safely caliber a 5.56? I have no 5.56 ammom bought and everything I own for target shooting is all .223. I ask becasue if I come across a surplus bag of 5.56 cheap I'd pick it up for stocking.

I am new to the black rifle world and I have hemmed and hawed over getting an AR15 for an inexpensive target gun and when I saw this one on the gunshow table for 950$ brand NIB I could not walk past it. It bothered me a little bit but not enough to keep it out of my life.

Could someone have swaped out parts here. It is 17 years old and never fired a round through it. I can't research it any further so I thought I would ask here.