The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 7, 2007, 03:17 PM   #1
PeteQuad

Dual purpose portable bench

I'm planning on getting this for my birthday
http://www.amazon.com/Torin-Mobile-W...8568804&sr=8-2

I only have room for either a regular workbench or a reloading bench, so I'm planning to mount my press to some plywood and clamp it to this mobile bench when I want to reload. This will be placed in my garage - when I want to use my power tools or cut stuff I can roll it out into my driveway for extra space.

My only concern is whether the wheels will cause it to not be sturdy enough for reloading. Does anyone have any experience with this item, or any workbench with wheels attached? What do you think?
Old May 7, 2007, 04:16 PM   #2
CrustyFN

Looks like a nice bench. If all four wheels lock you might be OK. If you can also put it in a corner that would be even better, the less it moves while working the press the better.
Rusty
Old May 7, 2007, 06:26 PM   #3
Zippy06

looks a little expensive.
But, Sturdy.
My Lee Turret press, was on wood for a long time. Got some 3/8" alum.
Still, c-clamp it.
G17, S&W 686, G22C, Colt H-Bar, Marlin, Savage 10FP. Be safe. Be happy
Old May 7, 2007, 09:55 PM   #4
PeteQuad

I think they all lock, and I might be able to put it in the corner. The reviewers claim it is sturdy so I'll cross my fingers.

I have some of that composite stuff - a long strip of it 3/4" thick and 6 or 7" wide. I might try that instead of the plywood. I don't know where I would find aluminum like that, sounds great

I have the Lee Turret press as well. Going to set it up this week. Will use the old Black and Decker Workmate or a junky homemade thing until the other bench comes.
Old May 7, 2007, 10:08 PM   #5
oldcars

If the wheel locks dont work well, wrap a small piece of chain around the castors on the floor, and stack heavy stuff in the drawers, It should work alright.