The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 7, 2017, 11:35 PM   #1
Onward Allusion

Life Post-Ammo Shortage #1 & #2

I've lived thru 2 significant ammo shortages and 1 gun banic. First was '08 that lasted a few years. Ammo shelves barren and just when things finally settled down a bit in 2011, ammo-shortage #2 came along after Sandy hook. That one lasted until mid to late '13 and included guns.

My question is - How has these events impacted your way of thinking? Do you do or think differently now than before when it comes to gun related tasks, collections, beliefs, values . . . ?
Old May 7, 2017, 11:48 PM   #2
JoeSixpack

I shot less during those periods, I still rarely shoot 22lr these days.
I was lucky in 08 I had just gotten into guns in 07 and had stocked up on $10 dollar 550rd boxes of federal 22lr @ walmart

As the prices jumped (out pacing gold for a while)
I stopped buying and started shooting less.

My primary calibers at the time was .22lr and 9mm

I still have not seen 22lr recover neither online or locally, walmart which use to be one of the cheapest places to buy is now one of the most expensive including online, stores have gotten better about shipping charges for ammo now days.

Im planing on getting into reloading at some point as well, although this does not help 22lr.

I try to keep my collection of calibers to a minimum so that when I do buy I can buy in bulk and cover a lot of guns.

These days I just shoot 9mm mostly as that's my favorite handgun caliber and I'd rather spend the money on practice with my carry gun(s)
Old May 7, 2017, 11:50 PM   #3
Cirdan

I buy in bulk and try to keep at least 6 months shooting in inventory.
Old May 8, 2017, 01:36 AM   #4
Slopemeno

Two words: Air rifle.
Old May 8, 2017, 02:15 AM   #5
FrankenMauser

Changes in my way of thinking or preparing: No.

Changes in shooting?... Yes. .22 LR is like gold.
Can't waste it. Must preserve the stockpile.
I refuse to pay current asking prices. I'll sell EVERY .22 LR firearm that I own, before I pay $40 / brick.

Otherwise... No changes.
I buy in bulk, stack it deep, and only buy when it's cheap.
Old May 8, 2017, 02:29 AM   #6
Rangerrich99

Before '08 I probably never had more than a couple hundred rounds total for all of my guns at any time. I usually bought ammo on the way to the range.

Some time during the ammo shortage around '08, I began to seriously think about getting into reloading. I started collecting brass any time I went shooting. I even began collecting brass for calibers I didn't have guns for yet. This turned out to be a good idea, since during the second ammo shortage, nearly all the components also disappeared nation-wide.

Now, I keep at least a year's worth of ammo for each caliber, as well as two year's worth of components for each caliber.

And, I realized that I needed to have a variety of powders and primers for each caliber, as well as several pet loads tested out before the next shortage.

In other words, I went from being the grasshopper, to being the ant.
Old May 8, 2017, 02:39 AM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

During the crunches I ratcheted up my reloading and stocked up (somewhat, albeit nowhere near as much as some people) on my supply of bullets, primers, and powder. The biggest problem was .22 LR, and I'm still likely to grab that if/when I see it for a decent price.
Old May 8, 2017, 03:52 AM   #8
kozak6

I was about to buy a Ruger MKII pistol and a single shot .22 rifle (maybe a bolt action?), and then Sandy Hook.

.22 lr is still outrageously priced in all local shops. I don't get it. I'm going to have to order it online to get a fair price. Except, EVERY SINGLE TIME the price approaches reasonability, it sells out.

Unless I see some kind of crazy deal, any rimfire firearm purchase is going to have to wait until the rimfire ammo supply stabilizes. Who even knows when that will be? Maybe another year or two?

At which point, I'll need to evaluate if I even like rimfires anymore. The rimfire shortage honestly has made me very upset, and I'm not sure it's even worth dealing with the silly things anymore.

I've been thinking I might be happier with a 9mm carbine as a rimfire alternative, except I can't seem to find a good deal anywhere.

If I'm not done with rimfire by then, I'll be forced to build up a ridiculous hoard of the stuff. Thinking about that makes me upset too.

I also need to be working on my stockpile of other calibers.

I've also been thinking about getting a .40 or two. I'm really not interested in the caliber, but it was fairly available during the panic, and police trades are so cheap. Might be better off putting that money towards the 9mm hoard, though...
Old May 8, 2017, 05:59 AM   #9
Texas45

Life Post-Ammo Shortage #1 & #2

Where are you guys shopping for ammo. ?
.6cents/ rd. High for 22 in past but decent in todays world.
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...1&c=417&s=2886

And I can get locally at Academy for about same $$.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 8, 2017, 06:13 AM   #10
B.L.E.

Quote:
Where are you guys shopping for ammo. ?
.6cents/ rd. High for 22 in past but decent in todays world.
That's about what .22 ammo has historically costed if you adjust for inflation. Penny a bullet .22 ammo has gone the way of 10 cent Cokes and $600 dollar new motorcycles.
The good thing about the 22 shortage is that when I go into Cabelas, I see a lot of new brands of 22 ammo competing with the old standbys. There's actually a larger selection of 22 ammo available today than before the buying panic.

Relax, they are not going to quit making .22 ammo anytime soon.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:09 AM   #11
TailGator

I started reloading for reasons of cost, availability, and consistency.

I am shooting less .22 now, like a lot of others have mentioned. The cost was a good reason to shoot .22, but the gap between it and other rounds has narrowed, especially with the cost of center fire ammo being lowered by reloading. Still a heap of fun, though, as well as a good tool for teaching new shooters.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:15 AM   #12
Onward Allusion

I forgot to chime in my OP.

I never have less than 10K rounds of 9mm and 30K rounds of 22LR these days. I also started reloading and keep enough reloading components on hand for 38/357 and some for 32L, 327 Mag, & 32 ACP. Heck, I used to toss 22LR misfires and those that failed to chamber (scraped up bullet) into the dud container at the club. Now I put them into a plastic 22LR box for plinking later.

Going through the shortages was eye opening. I remember a few folks who actually lived through the Great Depression and they were extremely frugal, saved food, and were pack-rats. I'm not comparing ammo shortages to '29-'39. What I am trying to say is that the ammo shortage had a significant impact on my way of thinking about shooting sports, preparing, and valuing ammo. I think some of the shortage was our own doing. A lot of us bought into the panic, including myself, and picked up extra ammo that wasn't needed.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:02 AM   #13
Mike Irwin
Staff

They've reinforced my belief that gun owners are quite often our own worst enemies.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:27 AM   #14
ammo.crafter

ammo prices

It was/is outrageous. Particularly since I compete with a Ruger MK I with Volquartsen upper that is geared to CCI standard velocity.

I tried off brands and "specials" but function and accuracy suffered. I practiced less and became very aware of how much I shot and the cost of same. I became a CCI hoarder.

I have been reloading for 50+ years and noticed these supplies also were hard to come by; especially powder. I went through a long period of "experimenting” with other powders rather than the ones that I had used for years. Some worked out and others failed as regards accuracy.

In the back of my mind I always had the feeling that there was more to this "shortage" than met the eye. My brother in law in Toronto would needle me as he experienced no shortage or price hike during the lean years.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:59 AM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

"My brother in law in Toronto would needle me as he experienced no shortage or price hike during the lean years."

That's because you can meet Canada's native ammo and component requirements with everything you can cram into a couple of shoeboxes compared to the US.

Given their laws up there I suspect that it's simply not possible for Canadians to go on an ammo, component, gun, etc., run like what's been experienced here.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 8, 2017, 02:48 PM   #16
jackstrawIII

As one of the younger members of the forum (I'll turn 30 this year), the recent "ammo shortage" and post ammo-shortage are all I've ever known. I've owned guns for the last 9 years.

With that said, here's what it's taught me: be ready to buy. When you see ammo at a good price, buy as much of it as you can. I'm a pretty high volume shooter, so I go through a lot of ammo and hate feeling like I'm about to run out. So I try to buy ammo months before I'm ready to need it.

Incidentally, this is the BEST situation the ammo market has been in since I've been a shooter. The cost for handgun ammo is lower than it's been in the last 10 years ($.15 for 9mm if you look around and buy in bulk).

Life's good.

Ps. I've recently been experimenting with remanufactured ammo and have been pleasantly surprised. For range fodder, it's a good option.
Old May 8, 2017, 08:50 PM   #17
rickyrick

I get what I can when I can.

The last two panics caught me with my pants down.

08 was the big one for me, I had none of my favorite ammunition for about two years.

I keep adding a few boxes of ammunition a month and I'll keep doing it until I can no longer shoot.

My shooting opportunitys the last couple of years have been pretty sparse, so my stockpile is getting pretty amazing. Amazing for my standards anyway.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:47 AM   #18
surveyor

After 2 ammo droughts i learned this.
Ammo went first followed by powders and primers and rifle bullets. I branched out to other powders and developed alternate loadings.

I was postponing range days and shooting alternate calibers. Certain components are only made every couple of years, and it seems like 75&87 gr 6 mm bullets were scarce, as well as 6 mm rem brass. Production was centered on non match common high demand items.

Powders such as pistol, and magnum pistol, as well as primers seem to be made at diffrent times than other components,

But lessons were learned as far as balance of factory ammo, reloads, and components, as well as alternate loadings. You could not count on being able to find pistol,magnum pistol,and rifle powder as well as small pistol, large pistol, small rifle and large rifle primers availible at the same time.

I find myself shooting more centerfire pistol ammo now than 22's as it is more readily availible and replaceable. Cost on my reloads of 9&38 is 0.10/rd, or about what a lot of the 22 is.
I'll still buy 22lr, but only cci std, federal automatch, sk standard plus or wolf match target.
I need to get some more anyway,thanks for the sportsman guide link.

Last edited by surveyor; May 9, 2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old May 9, 2017, 04:43 PM   #19
g.willikers

Ammo and gun shortages have been around as long as there have been wars.
Never mind politics.
Just have to roll with it.
The trouble with hoarding is it becomes a habit.
Don't shoot anything in case the shortages get worse.
Shoot smarter and less and shortages and prices don't mean as much.
And, as some have mentioned, there's always alternatives.
Airguns, archery, heck - slingshots if necessary.
Going to the range and firing off hundreds of rounds was hardly the normal thing not that long ago.
We have become spoiled.
Old May 9, 2017, 07:40 PM   #20
Reloadron

Quote:
My question is - How has these events impacted your way of thinking? Do you do or think differently now than before when it comes to gun related tasks, collections, beliefs, values . . . ?
Never been caught short. Owned a gun shop during the Clinton Administration so fortunately survived with lessons learned. When I see anything I use on sale if the price is good I buy it. This is especially true of loaded ammunition, powder, primers, bullets and about anything else which may be at any time in short supply including magazines. Components like those mentioned all have a long shelf life, real long. Last summer in addition to loading with new components I used powder and primers I have had since the early 90s. Events long before those mentioned above in the quote left me with lessons learned. I am also fortunate in that being retired I have time to enjoy my hobby and my wife and I can afford to do the things we want and have things we want. The kids are grown with kids of their own so it's not like should I buy ammunition or food.

Ron
Old May 9, 2017, 10:43 PM   #21
Andy Blozinski

I don't go to the range as much as I should, so the shortages didn't really hurt me. I had to get some .22 off Gunbroker because it couldn't be had in stores.

It's all back to normal here in Houston, Texas. Cheap and plentiful. I have a stash, but it's not huge.
Old May 10, 2017, 03:35 AM   #22
tomcatowner

I've always kept several thousand rounds each of .22, 9mm, and .223/5.56 on hand. Before the shortages I would restock when the on hand supply was down to a couple thousand rounds. Since the shortages I'm constantly looking to replace what I just shot at the range, keeping on hand supplies to the level I'm comfortable with.
CCI SV is what I prefer for all competitions, rifle and pistol. Before I would buy whatever .22 I could find. Now I stock up only on CCI SV and eventually that will be all I have on hand.
As for price? I'll buy CCI SV for .08/round (including shipping) so if anyone feels they can make a buck or two I'm happy to oblige.
Old May 10, 2017, 05:43 PM   #23
Mike38

Quote:
I still have not seen 22lr recover neither online or locally,.....
CCI Blazer and Federal Auto Match is around 5.5 cents per round right now on line. I don't think it's going lower, but could be wrong.

As for shooting during the "shortages" I all but stopped shooting. But I'm making up for it now. At least 200 rounds per week for the past year or so.
Old May 11, 2017, 05:41 PM   #24
PlatinumCore16

So I never really got any experience with life prior to the ammo shortages because prior them, I only ever shot .22lr and 16ga. shotgun for plinking and hunting, respectively. Those were the guns my grandfather had and so that's what we got and we didn't really have much choice in the matter, seeing as I was too young to buy ammo myself (I think, either way I always went to the store with an adult because I couldn't drive).

As a short aside that 16ga. was the shotgun I took deer hunting and I missed a doe at some 30yds+. I never knew what the distance was because I was in a real tall tree stand and I never measured it. But I took 3 shots (bolt action mossy from 1970 something) and it's a moment I always think about. Now I shoot 9mm, 12ga., and 7.62x54r and I feel confident if I had that shot back, that deer would be dead. You can't just pick up the gun and kill a deer. It's possible, but you need to be proficient with your chosen firearm.

Needless to say I own several hundred rounds of 9mm, slightly less in 12ga., and though I only have 50 or so rounds of 54r I am still looking for a good deal on brass cased ammo/waiting until I can buy in large bulk because it's just too costly to buy it piecemeal. I've also kept all my brass and I intend to reload for that some day.

Sorry to stray off topic, but it just made me think of that one time I had a shot on a deer. And it made me think of my grandfather.
Old May 29, 2017, 08:14 PM   #25
HawkeyeNRAlifer

Grumpy old guy

The shortages didn't affect me as much directly as I have a decent inventory built up during the flush years. The price increases got me. Knowing what the replacement costs were going to be caused me to slow down my volume of shooting. I understand the fear factor on increased demand and struggling supply, but now I'd think it would be closer to normal. Some, like the 9mm, are about where 2017 prices should be. But like an earlier poster said, .22 ammo is way too high. I agree that I will not pay 42.00 a brick and be told that's a bargain.
Thankfully I still have 5-6 bricks that cost me $9-10 a decade ago and got into reloading decades back.