The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 14, 2014, 03:23 PM   #1
ColColt

Crimping and Cast Bullets

I have a Remington 35 Whelen that I intend to do some casting for. I decided the Lyman M die would be beneficial in expanding the case mouth over the standard dies. I'm wondering if it would be necessary to crimp the case since it's a bolt action, magazine fed and not a BPCR.

I don't much care about crimping rifle cases and don't with jacketed bullets in bolt actions but with an alloy bullet with a gas check I'm not sure.
Old July 14, 2014, 05:22 PM   #2
Ozzieman

I have some experience with loading lead in 308 for my Ishapor.
I load lyman lead loads with recommended pistol powders and have had very good luck. I do use a very small amount of crimp at the crimp line to hold the bullet in as long as possible. I get good accuracy. Personally if you’re not going hot and your case to bullet tension is good I really done see any need to crimp.
What kind of powder are you using and what velocity are you trying for?

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old July 14, 2014, 05:27 PM   #3
ColColt

The bullets will be 220 and about 245 gr and I'll be using RL-15 and IMR 4064. These seem to be the recommended top powders for the 35 Whelen.

I generally use a Hornady Case Length gauge and bullet comparator in determining COAL. I check from the ogive to the lands and back off about .020". That may or may not put the case mouth at the crimp groove. In all likelihood, it won't but be seated further out.
Old July 14, 2014, 06:45 PM   #4
243winxb

No crimp for me using cast in a 1903, 760 rem. Win 30-30 M94. All sized to .310" diameter. Used the "M" die also.
Old July 15, 2014, 12:39 AM   #5
armoredman

I only crimp as far down as it needs to take the flare off the case when loading lead. I only really crimp when doing higher powered jacketed loads.
Old July 15, 2014, 12:01 PM   #6
gwpercle

If the cast bullet is a tight fit and can not be twisted or pressed deeper into the case with a bit of moderate pressure on the bullet tip it is ok.
A light crimp into the crimp groove does no harm and insures that extraction of an unfired round doesn't leave a bullet in the bore or recoil doesn't seat the bullet deeper while in the magazine. Light crimp is all you want.
Seat the bullet first, crimp in a separate step the lead is soft and could be damaged when done in one step.
Gary
Old July 15, 2014, 02:17 PM   #7
mikld

Quote:
I only crimp as far down as it needs to take the flare off the case when loading lead. I only really crimp when doing higher powered jacketed loads.
I agree. I use a Lee collet crimp to remove the flare only, no crimp in my 7.62x54r cast lead loads...
Old July 19, 2014, 08:57 AM   #8
trapper9260

I crimp my cast and if I have a gun that is tight chamber I use the Lee factory Crimp Die. That take care of every thing for that one gun.I found that I need to use that die in my Marlins lever and also my DPMS LR-308 other gun I just crimp them.That way like stated you do not have to worry about the boolit will not come undone.You do need much of a crimp to hold it in place.I also use the M die.