The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 4, 2012, 05:19 PM   #1
Rustle in the Bushes

which shotgun sights for close engagements/slugs?

This is my bear/zombie paranoia gun- a fabarm 14" barrel(Yup- Canadian) Im looking for the best sights for close up quick shots- not sure if that would be a bead because I have trouble snap shooting things at 30 ish yards and even closer with a bead. I just have trouble aiming at all with it- looking for something fast to put slugs on a charging beast.

Heres the kicker- it cant be ghost rings. Too bulky/too much to snag on and my shotgun is very KISS at the moment.

I read a bit about the benelli R1 sights being pretty quick rifle sights- opinions welcome!!
Old December 4, 2012, 07:24 PM   #2
scottd913

a 14 inch barrel is not for 30 yards by no means that seems to me that a shotgun with a short barrel such as that should be pushing buck shot.
if you are worried about bear i strongly suggest a rifle with a 30 caliber or larger capability. as far as sight yes a bead sight is best i have a 18+ inch barrel for my home defense shotgun and it has no sight as i can aim right down the barrel good enough to hit what i point it at...then again i don't think i would try to use it at 30 yards or for bear...as far as zombies we don't discus that here on this forum maybe that discussion is better suited for mall ninja.com
Old December 4, 2012, 07:55 PM   #3
shortwave

For me it would either be a bead or rifled sights either one.

Ghost rings have just never been my idea of fast.
Old December 4, 2012, 07:56 PM   #4
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Mine has a rifle sight with fiber optic front sight. Not much use at night but most anything in the house is likely to be within 10'. Day time at 50 yards it is more than sufficient. Not rifle accurate but close enough to be uncomfortable to the target. I kind of like my extra 4 1'2" though, that is a lot of muzzle blast close to your smile.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 4, 2012, 09:07 PM   #5
PetahW

Run a 1/2" wide strip of white fabric medical adhesive (not paper tape) tape down the top of the barrel, muzzle to receiver front, and even atop the receiver - available at any pharmacy.

Good in almost any light, won't damage a gun's finish, and renewable.

Old December 4, 2012, 10:41 PM   #6
MarkCO

Lyman or Ruger 10/22 fold down sight.
Old December 4, 2012, 10:44 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Bead... until it falls out or is broke off then none... With slugs (or when I must aim at a small distant stationary target with shot) for me, the up/down alignment and left/right are determined by using the top of receiver as my "rear sight" to index the target to my vision...

I bet this is not an accepted method with the shotgun zealots but it is how I get one shot kills at 35 yards offhand from the front door to drop a squirrel for Junior's snake... I use the same method to get what I consider to be acceptable groups at 65+ yards with a smooth cylinder bore 18 inch barrel with CHEAP Winchester Super X or Federal's bottom shelf slugs...

Brent
Old December 7, 2012, 10:31 PM   #8
Rustle in the Bushes

interesting the amount of love for the bead.

This shotgun is practically a rifle(slugs). Im picking a shotgun for the role because I get more shotgun time in than anything (cheaper) and I could put down shots alot quicker than with a rifle in a peeyourpants situation.

Interesting that for slugs so many people think a bead is quicker at these less than 50 yard ranges. I have problems getting on target with the bead but my "slug fu" is weak- hoping to get some good info before I head out and train on any sighting system with a 100 or so slugs. read $$ investment.

im definitely considering a bead now or some high vis infra red bead.
Old December 7, 2012, 11:10 PM   #9
boattale

I'm a fan of a rib with a hi vis bead.